Bank of America ordered to pay couple $1M for harassment

http://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-wins...ry?id=27542208

Shit, where were these class action lawsuits when I was growing up? The debt collector phone calls would start everyday at 6AM on the dot, continuing every hour on the hour until 9PM.

My personal favorite is when they call me at work. But that is illegal in my state. So when they start calling me at work I use the same line every time. "Im at work right now and your harassment could end up having me terminated. In this state that is illegal now do you wish to discuss this matter when I am off or would you like to talk to the authorities." Usually they stop bothering me after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
    My personal favorite is when they call me at work. But that is illegal in my state. So when they start calling me at work I use the same line every time. "Im at work right now and your harassment could end up having me terminated. In this state that is illegal now do you wish to discuss this matter when I am off or would you like to talk to the authorities." Usually they stop bothering me after that.
    I like the automated ones that hang up on the answering machine, gracing you with a couple minutes of dial tone.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reality is that beyond damaging your credit score, there's very little they can actually do to you.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

That's why credit cards have such high rates. Banks aren't losing money on credit cards.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I had a debt collector call me 20-30 times a day for an account of a relative of mine. Pissed me off enough that I researched them, found out they were unlicensed, and sued them in small claims court for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in the amount of $5,000 and won a summary judgment.

They refused to pay, so I had to pay $75 for the sheriff to seize their assets. I wish I could have been there in person, would have almost rather had that than the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I had a debt collector call me 20-30 times a day for an account of a relative of mine. Pissed me off enough that I researched them, found out they were unlicensed, and sued them in small claims court for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in the amount of $5,000 and won a summary judgment.

They refused to pay, so I had to pay $75 for the sheriff to seize their assets. I wish I could have been there in person, would have almost rather had that than the money.
    I raise a glass to you sir.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I raise a glass to you sir.
    Fuck that.

I raise two glasses for Tinykong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Well done sir, well done. /salute

Had a similar situation myself, where the calls were nonstop, and the folks on the other end quite rude. The mere threat of the FDCPA made them stop calling overnight. Won't work in every situation but if the agency bothering you is at all shady in their practices they'll back off immediately.

Initially I would just not answer the calls, but after awhile I got annoyed and picked up to ask them to stop calling, at which point they realized an actual person was at that number, so they would call every 15-20 minutes.

Most of those places are violating the act in some form or another, and it's very easy to trick them into breaking the law. Some of the stories on forums are pretty awesome, I recall one guy getting permission to record a call, and then got the collector to say that if he didn't pay the debt, they would have him arrested. Derp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.