Deleted

Feeling a little disheartened

Morning all,

I've always been a Warlock until MoP where I changed to a WW Monk... I decided for WoD i'd take the leap of faith and try out Ret, mainly because it looked fun... To be honest though the DP & FV style is getting a bit tiresome now though LOL and i'm trying so hard to not reroll back to my WW Monk.

1 reason stopping me from rerolling is the PvP competetiveness, Monk has none, Pally has loads! I'm only ilvl 650 but I do feel a little weak/downhearted.

Trying not to make an alt as it took forever to get the Ret to where it is now Garrison/gear wise hahaha...

Give me a little pick me up bros, help me stay with my Pally! The only other class i'd change to is WW Monk or Boomkin but i'd rather not for hassle reasons.

I assume Ret is still top tier for both PvE and PvP, that doesnt bother me a great deal as i'll rarely ever do Mythics again. Raiding 3hrs straight bores me after being in a top 150 guild from tbc-wotlk, all about the casual life now! Maybe fill a raid spot if needed now and then.

So... Convince me to stay Ret and not go Monk!! my original plan during beta was to be Ret with a Boomkin alt.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd818af09; 2014-12-13 at 11:19 AM.

If you find WW monk more fun, then play WW monk. You shouldn't need someone to convince you to play a class.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Don't get me wrong Ret is still fun overall just a bit disheartened overall. I like having a melee and a ranged for my 2. Always been monk & lock, trying ret as of now purely coz its solid pvp and pve, monk is weak pvp but solid pve... Its a hassle to relvl and regear etc tho... I assume ret is just as fine as monk if not a bit better overall? (Ret has cleave monk doesnt) serenity stronk.

I myself do not play a ret but as a warrior I'm extremely envious of their steady rotation. You press the correct buttons in the correct order, this gives you the holy power you need to do an even more powerful attack, any procs you get are merely bonus damage along with amazing cooldowns to give great burst PvE wise there is really no downside to ret atm.

Along with the option of also tanking and healing of which both are very strong atm, the paladin is looking to be an all around great choice. But of course if you aren't having fun then all of this doesn't matter now does it.
    Last edited by Ryanite; 2014-12-13 at 12:01 PM.

Play what you think is fun. I've been playing pally for 10 years, find something and stick with it, flavor of the month and stuff be damned (trust me, I played a pally)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Play what you think is fun. I've been playing pally for 10 years, find something and stick with it, flavor of the month and stuff be damned (trust me, I played a pally)
    Lol i hear ya! I love the dps cd's, didnt really have any on my monk. Only played ret on beta with dp fv and was lile ok, i like this ill play this.

Not really after huge dps as im casual i just want steady dps and pvp viability hahaha... Its the weekend and i cant log on so theorycraft ftw...!!

Ill carry on ret and see how i get higher ilvl etc... Is dp fv the only way to go or do i have other options? 630 wep atm.

Monk's alright but the pvp game it sucks afaik, pvp makes me rage the most #duelistforlife.

Boomkin alt might take the boredom outta my gameplay...

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    Ill carry on ret and see how i get higher ilvl etc... Is dp fv the only way to go or do i have other options? 630 wep atm.
    It's the way I go because it makes the class more fun for me. I also throughout my pally career have always been a slacker when it comes to using my cds (what if I need it in 15sec!!! - end up never using it). Elitist Jerks might say it comes out ahead by a small margin and it will go good with the 4pc tier set.
    However, I would think it would be the lesser impacting one as a passive BUT it's 2 talents working to benefit each other, which is a cool bonus a lot of other talents do not do.

All in all if blizz is doing their job those three talents should be pretty balanced and you can go with whatever you like. Want higher sustained or burst, depends on fights too!

Maybe in the future I can say more. I've never ever been a number crunching player but I just snagged some warcraft logs and jazz so....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    It's the way I go because it makes the class more fun for me. I also throughout my pally career have always been a slacker when it comes to using my cds (what if I need it in 15sec!!! - end up never using it). Elitist Jerks might say it comes out ahead by a small margin and it will go good with the 4pc tier set.
    However, I would think it would be the lesser impacting one as a passive BUT it's 2 talents working to benefit each other, which is a cool bonus a lot of other talents do not do.

All in all if blizz is doing their job those three talents should be pretty balanced and you can go with whatever you like. Want higher sustained or burst, depends on fights too!

Maybe in the future I can say more. I've never ever been a number crunching player but I just snagged some warcraft logs and jazz so....

This was calculated to be the best with the best gear this tier (which we can't even get with BRF not out yet).
    If you look at the Ret thread on this forum you'll see that the different talents in those tiers do different things on fights.

Personally I run with SW and FV as it has less reliance on RNG and higher single target output, while retaining some cleaving capabilities. It is worse for pure AoE'ing though. HA is a good middle of the road talent as it gives good burst (especially combined with seraphim) on both single target and AoE.

So to answer your question: Yes you have other options. What is best is highly dependent on gear, encounter and playstyle. I'd suggest playing around with them to see which suits you best.

Don't get me wrong Ret is still fun overall just a bit disheartened overall. I like having a melee and a ranged for my 2. Always been monk & lock, trying ret as of now purely coz its solid pvp and pve, monk is weak pvp but solid pve... Its a hassle to relvl and regear etc tho... I assume ret is just as fine as monk if not a bit better overall? (Ret has cleave monk doesnt) serenity stronk.
    What you're experiencing is called the sunk cost or "Concorde" fallacy, named after the Concorde jet which was a disaster. The jist is that you continue down an undesirable path due to costs incurred whilst on that path. You say "Well I spent X amount of resources, so I don't want to waste those, so I'll continue down this undesirable path." It's common and hard to break free of. A sunk cost is one that you can't recoup. For example, time is always a sunk cost since it's gone. But if you invest your money into a stock that's not a "sunk" cost since you can sell it and get your money back (maybe for a loss or a gain, but it's not a total loss).

What I'm saying is, the expac has been out for a month right? Do you really want to trade this month of gearing/leveling for the rest of the expac with a class you don't love? Wouldn't it make more sense to switch now to save yourself even MORE sunk costs? If you don't enjoy the class, then swap. Nothing we can say will keep you here. I enjoy ret for some reason that I can't put my finger on, so I stick with it. I faltered a little when WoD dropped, but stuck with it and glad I did! But if you're not feeling that way, just move along.

Deleted
    Level your alts and gear them up during your downtime on the Pally - when you start doubting yourself as a Pally log your alt(s)

With Garrison gameplay you can benefit from the alts achievements in the garrison game and with high level followers you can get some reasonable boosts to gear for the future, alts are important never neglect them.

I started as a Druid then switched to Hunter ( was fun back then in BC ) a few weeks later rerolled a pally and stuck with it until MoP - always switching to my Alts for times when the guild needed them. Paladins are fun.

How many paladins do you see during the day compared to other classes.

I came back to my paladin for WoD because I missed the class so much.
    Last edited by mmocd76284f6fb; 2014-12-13 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    I think i'm just being paranoid about my Ret being a bit sucky later on for pvp/pve. ..

Ww is pretty poor for pvp at the moment so my ret is nicer in that sense though i do miss my monk mobility quite alot at times... Maybe i'm just making a fuss over nothing lol. Ill deffo make my boomkin alt to keep me entertained etc.

I think i just worry about monk and ret in both pve and pvp later on, ofc i love being stable for both as i do serious arena and then casual raiding...