Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kargath mythic changes target while Berserker Rush

We killed Kargath in mythic but it was very strange that he suddenly switched target/fixation while he was in Berserker Rush.
    What can trigger that target switch?

Quote Originally Posted by HeroicMythic View Post
    We killed Kargath in mythic but it was very strange that he suddenly switched target/fixation while he was in Berserker Rush.
    What can trigger that target switch?
    We've found that its pretty much anything that triggers full immunity or displaces your location on the ground. Pretty much only straight movement speed buffs work for kiting. This also appears to have been hotfixed into the encounter after Wednesday.

Obviously still an easy fight, if you care to notice the roar of the crowd you'll get more than enough killing adds, especially if you're diligent about kiting the tiger into fire. I'm sure you found the same as us, that it's better to be conservative with your approach to Beserker Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffled View Post
    We've found that its pretty much anything that triggers full immunity or displaces your location on the ground. Pretty much only straight movement speed buffs work for kiting. This also appears to have been hotfixed into the encounter after Wednesday.

Obviously still an easy fight, if you care to notice the roar of the crowd you'll get more than enough killing adds, especially if you're diligent about kiting the tiger into fire. I'm sure you found the same as us, that it's better to be conservative with your approach to Beserker Rush.
    Hand of Protection does not switch targets.

OT: Feign Death, Vanish, etc. will reset the target.

I was planning on using Clemency to get off two Hand of Protections on people targeted. Hopefully it doesn't reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Hand of Protection does not switch targets.

OT: Feign Death, Vanish, etc. will reset the target.
    This was not our experience on Thursday. Ice Block and deterrence were also resetting the target.

This was not our experience on Thursday. Ice Block and deterrence were also resetting the target.
    I used both Deterrence charges as he was hitting me along with a HoP to make the kite last full duration, he was happily smacking me all the time. Your Mages/Hunters used Invis/Feign Death probably.

There's something more to it than the person who get the fixate used a threat dump or some sort of blink. Something else is fucked up on Berserker Rush that causes a target swap.

Since it's an easy boss and a rare bug, it's probably not a huge priority to figure out exactly what's causing it. Much worse stuff has gone unfixed before.

If someone dies while he is fixed on someone, he will go on to a new target.
    Last edited by wrynil; 2014-12-19 at 08:50 PM.

Shadow's dispersion will also trigger the swap.

Found that out when I was low on health and hit it.

For us it seemed to be immunities combined with lots of movement. We were able to consistently use combinations of Ice Block, Deterrence, and BoP to get through entire Rushes without having to put him in fire. The problems occurred when the target moved. He also seems to do a weird thing if he starts Rush as people come down from the stands. He seems to pick a player since they are at range but if it's a melee target he seems to fix his scripting since he's not supposed to target melee players, thus causing him to swap targets.

I think I figured out why this is happening. Last night, we were working on this guy and had it happen several times where Kargath switched Berserker Rush targets. Below is the link to our logs showing those affected by Berserker rush, and damage taken from it (which shows deaths)

ending warcraftlogs.com url, since i can't post full links:
    /reports/z7PpW1V2wAbq8yYk#pins=0%24Off%24%23e62ec1%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%240.0.0.Any%24true%24158986&type=damage-taken&boss=1721&wipes=1&ability=159002&view=events

You can see the debuff "hopping" from one person to another at the following times:
    03:18:50.024 (Ogunist to Dancyrobot)
    03:20:30.009 (sort of - it jumps off of Thorkon and then goes back on Thorkon)
    03:29:48.069 (Dancyrobot to Roshhi)
    03:47:11.267 (Lightbulb to Painkiller)
    03:58:04.883 (Isildiur to Roshhi)

In short, it looks like whenever Berserker rush kills anyone other than it's target (usually melee for us), it has a chance to re-fixate on someone else.

100% of the time when we didn't lose someone to it, it didn't re-fixate on anyone.
    It didn't re-fixate every time when someone *did* die, but whenever it did, it was always immediately after a death.

This helps explain why some folks are saying they never have any problems with the re-fixates. Those folks are doing the fight well and not losing people to this mechanic. For those of us who are just now working on it and having some deaths to it, I think this is the reason.

So, in short. Get good. Do the mechanics right, and you won't have this "random" target switching be an issue for you.

Good luck and have fun.

I can also say through my anecdotal experience that he does not re-fixate unless someone dies.

If he finishes the cast it picks a new person.
    Also, last week some proper smart guys here let those struggling know that if you double deterence and BoP the same hunter its enough time to get a huge chunk of the bar.
    This was not the case. Barely got 20.

I would recommend using a bop or a personal ability once each. Don't try to overly metagame the mechanic, its not nearly as useful as it sounds.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

You can easily kill this boss on mythic without the buff, however I've seen this glitch out once we're he swap 3 times.

not true. Displacer worked fine for me on thursday without any problems. It seems pretty weird when it decides to change

Anyone had any luck with baiting the charge on the furthest raid member? At the 1 minute mark in Method's Mythic Kargath video, they have the 2 mages stand out far away from everyone else to bait the fixate, and it worked. Didn't know if this was a fluke or how it really works.

On the target switch - one thing we observed was if the fixate target crossed over a tiger pit (jump the corner/blink/disengage/etc) he immediately switched targets. Presumably the pits, even with a cover over them, are a non-pathable area.

Also wondered if there is a range component ... if the initial target moves to within his minimum range before he starts channeling, he may switch targets at that point? Definitely saw some immediate target swaps as well as changes during the kite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by painmonster View Post
    Anyone had any luck with baiting the charge on the furthest raid member? At the 1 minute mark in Method's Mythic Kargath video, they have the 2 mages stand out far away from everyone else to bait the fixate, and it worked. Didn't know if this was a fluke or how it really works.
    We had a couple hunters try to bait it, but it didn't always work. Its possible that at times ranged ended up further away than the hunters were as people dodged the fire stuff, but its also likely that if it can be baited it likely targets 1 of the furthest X players, so that you can't do it with just 1 or 2 people.

It has nothing to do with the immunities etc.

He changes target whenever he kills someone while charging.

This is true whether he kills the person he is targeting or someone else who got in the way.

So if Player X has BoP up and runs over to the flame pillar and Player Y (melee) was trying to dps the boss but got too close, Player Y dies and the boss changes targets.

This seems to also happen in other difficulties as yesterday for normal twink run we managed to somehow cancel the berserkerrush before he even targeted someone. No clue how we did it but he just didn't chase anyone.

For mythic we had issues with random target switchting as well, without anyone dying or using a cd. Our priest was just standing still and after he got targeted and he still switched target half way through the chase.