Thread: MM or Surv

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

MM or Surv

I'm at a toss up, I'm not sure which one is better atm, Survival or MM? What are your peeps preferences?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play Surv because I like playing it.. I tried MM because it is supposed to be better but went back to Surv since I know more about and have more fun with it..

But really it is a choice on the player on what they like playing the most..

I really hate to be that guy - but read Azorthians guide. If you care about performance it's not really close.

Deleted
    mm is way stronger

i also recommend playing what you like for, until i try out for a top tier guild ima keep playing sv. I recommend you do the same op

I would rather play SV that I know well or MM that I don't know anything about

SV should start pulling ahead with better gear on anything with movement and adds. MM is really powerful now though because its beyond simple in terms of number of buttons to press...SV has way many more buttons as well as a trap you cast every 12sec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    SV should start pulling ahead with better gear on anything with movement and adds. MM is really powerful now though because its beyond simple in terms of number of buttons to press...SV has way many more buttons as well as a trap you cast every 12sec.
    Having to press ES a lot of times doesn't count as more buttons to press lol. Talents being a wash, not sure what you're talking about:

MM: AS, CS, SS, MS, RF, KS
    SV: ArS, BA, ES, MS, CS

And unless you're new to the class, are any of the Hunter specs difficult? I'd say they each have their own rhythm/feel but that's about it.

@ OP: Play what you like. If you were in a progression minded guild or you cared about squeezing out the absolute best dps, you wouldn't have created this thread and you would have dry humped all the guides out there. So play what you like

MM isn't powerful because of its low number of buttons to press, all hunters have a fairly simple priority but of the 3 specs SV has the least amount to press due to no cooldowns and such, unless you talent into them. You also don't use trap on cooldown.

SV pulls ahead on 5+ target cleave iirc, but there are no situations beyond potentially Tectus where you will be cleaving 5 targets during a pull

@OP I personally prefer MM. Having cooldowns and an execute is gamechanging on fights that require hard targets to die fast, and having one of, if not the best execute phases in the game is a huge boon. There isn't too much MS to be had in Highmaul else i'd probably be playing SV for some more consistency, but to pull the numbers SV does for having no CD's/Execute it's not to be shrugged off..

tl;dr play what you enjoy most unless youre super concerned/guild is super concerned about doing as much dps as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Azabondiia View Post
    Anyone who has not done heroic raiding, is John Snow - and knows nothing. It's the most unforgiving gaming experience you can imagine

10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to play them all. That way when they bring out that bat, you aren't scrmabling to learn a different spec.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm above 670 now and going SV am beating every MM hunter in the guild atm. It's alot about min/maxing tho.

yea my biggest beef with MM right now is I hate how long it takes to cast Aimed shot. I mean, by the time I try to get an aimed shot off the mob is already dead I'm currently just levelling my hunter but it gets really annoying when I can't do anything cuz aimed shot or steady shot take too long to cast lol

MM: Aimed Shot + Chimaera Shot (Kill Shot below 35% x2)
    SV: Arcane Shot + Explosive Shot + Black Arrow + Snake Trap

The rest can be shared so you see x2 button for MM and x4 for SV with a Trap every 12 sec

Granted MM needs to stand still for 2 sec every time they move to get the buff back but thats easy -and annoying.

MM feels like a caster and its based a lot on standing still. I'm one of those twitchy players where I like to jump around when I dps so MM just straight up isn't for me, no matter how powerful it is.

Beast Mastery I don't like because I hate pets and can't take Lone Wolf.

Survival is the easy choice for me.

The rest can be shared so you see x2 button for MM and x4 for SV with a Trap every 12 sec

Granted MM needs to stand still for 2 sec every time they move to get the buff back but thats easy -and annoying.
    Odd that you'd choose to count Snake Trap for SV, which is never used rotationally, and discount Kill Shot for MM in your final tally. Setting aside the fact that its insanely stupid to distill the difficulty of a spec down to the number of buttons it has to press, you've got a pretty obvious bias going here.

15+ Year Old Account

Why would you use SNake Trap, you must mean Explosive Trap. Shouldn't all specs use that anyway because it is a DPS increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickmybic View Post
    yea my biggest beef with MM right now is I hate how long it takes to cast Aimed shot. I mean, by the time I try to get an aimed shot off the mob is already dead I'm currently just levelling my hunter but it gets really annoying when I can't do anything cuz aimed shot or steady shot take too long to cast lol
    I found the opposite - SV so many time's I'd be shooting steady shot to get back some much needed focus but the mob would die mid cast - leaving me with still no focus. MM I find the mobs dying during aimed shot cast, meaning I haven't spent that focus and have some left for the next mob I want to attack.

Add to that - single target mobs dying before they get to me when playing as MM rather than them reaching me (or the pet) as SV.

Did find I picked up around 2K dps in the Highmaul LFR switching over to LW MM from SV - and still not totally on top of my rotation and talent choices yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshuttle View Post
    Learn to play them all. That way when they bring out that bat, you aren't scrmabling to learn a different spec.
    Pretty much this.

I know people say play what you what - which I can totally respect if that's how you're having fun. I play a hunter because I enjoy the class and love to dps - regardless of which spec - I'm always going to pick the right tool for the right job - and while I wouldn't say I'm an insane min maxer - learning to play the other specs is part of playing a hunter for me personally.

Deleted
    Before I start a new thread, I might aswell grab on to this thread.

If you guys play hunter in arena pvp, do you think MM is always the best specc or can survival compete? I know kill shot is a huge deal and MM has good burst potential but what about the sustain and the somewhat less vulnerability to LoS as survival? I'm just curious because I switched to survival in 2v2 and might aswell play it in 3s so I bought season gear towards my survival specc; needless to say I am somewhat afraid that I might have made a bad call here.

Also another question: there is a knockback deminishing return lasting 10 secs, explosive trap has a CD of 12 seconds. Still I notice enemys are not affected by my explosive trap when I use it a second time although they are not stunned or rooted, do I miss something.

Thanks for any answers!