Shadow of Revan worth buying?

So yeah, im considering buying the new expansion seeing as how we're having a christmas break in WoD, and i pretty much have no games to play. I got to level 51 (i think) before i quit playing earlier this year. I more than likely won't raid since i don't really have time, but i'll deffinately do the dungeons (or flashpoints or w/e they were called).

The one thing i really enjoyed about swtor was the story (i played a sith warrior), so i'm wondering if the expansion is worth buying, mainly for the story and the dungeons?

Yes.

The previous "expansion" was pretty weak, because it only offered 1 planet with only 2 stories, one for imperial, one for republic. No real class story continuation other than small conversation nods towards your status and who you are. It was also pretty short, I finished makeb in a single afternoon. Whereas with Shadow of Revan, I played for the better part of today (All afternoon and evening) and I still have 40% left to do on the first planet, plus the entirety of the second planet.

They have also added actual class quests this time, but there's a caveat about that which I'll address tomorrow when I finish the second planet.

Finally, the thing about this expansion that I love the most, is how this time, not only are flashpoints heavily integrated into the story of the current planet you're on, but also, the first time you do them, you are given the option to do a special solo version of that flashpoint (with a god-like ultra powerful robot to serve as your tank and healer). The solo version offers no loot, but its intended so that you can experience the story at your own pace, without rude group members urging you to spam Spacebar to skip all the cinematics, or overriding your conversation options, or light-side/dark-side choices.

They've also added SWTOR's equivalent of Scenarios (I guess the rule of thumb for an MMO is: "When in doubt, copy wow") called Tactical Flashpoints. They are dungeons that can be done without tanks or healers, and offer story advancements, but no loot, just commendations (SWTOR's equivalent of Valor Points/Justice Points)

If only they'd allow us to do solo versions of the Operations too just for story reasons, I'd be VERY happy indeed.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Yes.

The previous "expansion" was pretty weak, because it only offered 1 planet with only 2 stories, one for imperial, one for republic.
    The only downside with Rishi and Yavin4 is that both sides have nearly the same story. As an altaholic, it'll be noticeable. Makeb's story was completely different for the two sides.

Finally, the thing about this expansion that I love the most, is how this time, not only are flashpoints heavily integrated into the story of the current planet you're on, but also, the first time you do them, you are given the option to do a special solo version of that flashpoint (with a god-like ultra powerful robot to serve as your tank and healer).
    I loved this decision, though I wish they'd do a bit more pruning of the filler in the dungeons for solo.

If only they'd allow us to do solo versions of the Operations too just for story reasons, I'd be VERY happy indeed.
    You do get a solo version of the final Revan encounter.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    SNIP...

The one thing i really enjoyed about swtor was the story (i played a sith warrior), so i'm wondering if the expansion is worth buying, mainly for the story and the dungeons?
    Yes it is.

If you like the story and dungeons then you'll like it. The story is very good, helps wrap up 2 old flash point and what kinda happened there and expands on it with a nice ending and cliffhanger to kick off the expansion.

Flash points leveling up are integrated into the leveling process and are well done. (like someone said above - you can even solo them the first time to see the story)

It's well worth $20 so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Yes it is.

If you like the story and dungeons then you'll like it. The story is very good, helps wrap up 2 old flash point and what kinda happened there and expands on it with a nice ending and cliffhanger to kick off the expansion.

Flash points leveling up are integrated into the leveling process and are well done. (like someone said above - you can even solo them the first time to see the story)

It's well worth $20 so far.
    This is intriguing. Don't think i've heard of any MMO that actually did this , at least recently. As someone that plays SWTOR mainly for story purposes this is AMAZING. And it even seems i can do the final encounter of 1 of the operations, so we get the full picture instead of playing until a semi-ending only for the baddie to only be defeatable once you gather another 15 chaps.
    Gonna buy this after i'm "done" with the current mmos i'm dabbling in atm. Wonder if they'll eventually expand this functionality to all other FPs in the game from 10-55. Some of them have quite interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    This is intriguing. Don't think i've heard of any MMO that actually did this , at least recently. As someone that plays SWTOR mainly for story purposes this is AMAZING. And it even seems i can do the final encounter of 1 of the operations, so we get the full picture instead of playing until a semi-ending only for the baddie to only be defeatable once you gather another 15 chaps.
    Gonna buy this after i'm "done" with the current mmos i'm dabbling in atm. Wonder if they'll eventually expand this functionality to all other FPs in the game from 10-55. Some of them have quite interesting stories.

It's actually one of the more cooler things BW has done. For all the good and bad they have going on, being able to solo the flash points the first time you run across them in the story is pretty cool.

Being able to see the revan fight without having to jump into an OPS is even nicer when it so tied into the story.

The Flashpoints in the Revan storyline are part of the story arc whereas the Flashpoints from 10-55 are side stories that don't directly have anything to do with the main story arc.

While I do wish they'd give this functionality, because those Flashpoints are awesome, I'm not sure they'll think it's worth the time to implement. I'm not sure how long it would take to implement though, but whatever. I hope they surprise me.

I short though, yes Shadow of Revan is worth buying and checking out if you like this game at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    It's actually one of the more cooler things BW has done. For all the good and bad they have going on, being able to solo the flash points the first time you run across them in the story is pretty cool.
    Yeah, that's a brilliant innovation. I largely skip dungeons while leveling for the first time - they can be stressful dealing with PUGS and sometimes time consuming. Solo versions to see the story (and get oriented for later group versions) is a wonderful idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so after playing through it. I really enjoyed it lore wise and you can't go wrong when playing a Concealment Operative, such an amazing class/spec.

But it feels really small. Like uber small. I've seen games with more content in patches (Final Fantasy XIV, TSW, etc).
    It would be better if Yavin 4 was about the size of Rishi. That would help alot. As it stands its a glorified Daily Zone that had a story introduction like WoW did with Molten Front, Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle.

Only 2 actual new FPs (which were quite awesome i must admit) but with the 4 HM Fps at 60 being harder versions of already available FPs pre-3.0 i don't see alot of real value in the expansion, bang for the buck so to speak. 2 Operations is nice, but i'll probably do them once or twice for the Story and be done with the expac. I subbed for 30 days but i've only played about 10 hours and the new content is gone.

And the 3.1 patch is probably if trends are to be followed : Nightmare version of one of the Ops, HM version of the 2 new FPs and a bunch of Cartel Market items.

Overall: Good Story, good gameplay (disciplines really fleshed out alot of specs), the asthetics of the planets look really nice and SOLO Fps are like one of their best ideas yet. A shame theres a huge lack of content. For the 17€ i paid for this xpac (plus the sub, which raises the total cost by another 13€) i could have bought Skyrim legendary edition on this steam sale and still have 20€ to spare, and i'd have 100s of hours of content. Just as an example.
    Oh well, i'll be back next digital xpac. May the force be with you =)

P.S. I understand value is subjective, for some this expansion will be totally worth it, for others less so. This is just my opinion and i found it okay, i didn't feel like i spent the money badly, i enjoyed it but i just want MOAR.
    Last edited by Razael; 2014-12-23 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    -Snip
    Yeah i agree with you. I bought the expansion a couple of days ago and i just beat Revan (i was 50 when i started). The story was mindblowingly good for me atleast, i really enjoyed the whole "two enemies working together" thing. The solo flashpoints were also really good, and i enjoyed doing them without having to wait for a que and the fact that i could make my own morale choices, instead of the normal vote thingy. I did ran into one problem with one of the flashpoints, and it was in the Blood Hunt one on the 2nd last boss. If you have a companion out the fight resets when the bosses go up, and if the droid gets knocked up the platform the fight also resets. Managed to do it after like 20 mins with tank stance + constant taunt spamming.

All that said i pretty much have 0 reasons to play anymore. I don't really see the appeal of grinding dailies for rep + badges so i could get gear for heroics, since i won't even raid + i've already seen the instances, so it wouldn't be that exciting anyways tbh.

Overall i'd say the expansion was worth the 17 + 13 (sub) euros. It felt really short, but i loved the story.

I agree that the expansion is small, map-wise. Rishi is about the size of 4 mesas on Makeb, and Yavin 4 feels about as big as Oricon. There's something to be said about expansive zones that let you do a lot of exploring, but sometimes it is nice to have a lot to do but not have to run all over the place in different directions to do it. The "wait 5 minutes for free comms" daily is a little cheap, though, and I lament there not being a heroic area other than the Revanite Walker. Hopefully they've got something good in store for us in 3.1.

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    SNIP.... The "wait 5 minutes for free comms" daily is a little cheap, though, and I lament there not being a heroic area other than the Revanite Walker. Hopefully they've got something good in store for us in 3.1.
    I think that particular quest is more about helping people get to the DS/LS alignment they want vs any reward. Just a guess though.

I do think the areas need to be expanded on but for all the changes that came plus teh new areas and the story, it was $20 worth spending so far.

Yes. There are quite a few annoying bugs, but the content is well worth double the $20 price tag. Its about as much content as WoD, for $40 less.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Yes. There are quite a few annoying bugs, but the content is well worth double the $20 price tag. Its about as much content as WoD, for $40 less.
    From what I've seen of both, this isn't even remotely close to being true.

That's not a bad thing, though. It's a far cheaper expansion and was produced during active development for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not even close to having the same amount of content as WoD. Not sure which Shadow of Revan expansion you are playing because it sure isn't the one i played. Frostfire Ridge alone took me longer than both new planets storylines combined. And that was not spacebar-ing my way through the cutscenes.

SoR didn't have more content vs WoD but there not very far off. Blizzard put to much effort into garrisons and it's not strong enough to carry the expansion but the difference was SoR was worth $20. I can't say WoD was worth the inflated price of $50 blizzard pushed for the content they did created.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-12-27 at 11:13 PM.

I am enjoying the hell out of Shadow of Revan. The Old Republic has managed to change the game almost completely around for me. A lot of the things I want in an MMO are being solved buy TOR right now; compelling story, interesting mechanics, varied game modes, great small group content and pretty easy to play in short sessions.

This is great!