Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Holinka's Answer to this question made me face palm -_-

"Any chance we'll see removal of the "Ashran Bonus". It simply isn't fun for a lot of people and goes against removing the RBG bonus"

"Probably not" (holinka)

Stubborn lead designers that do not listen to beta feedback, or live feedback are just asking to be hated by the community. This guy obviously thinks he and his team are correct and their ideas are the best thing ever! Ashran is obviously his baby and he seems to get defensive about it when anyone else talks about its problems. You can't reason with a biased bighead.

Deleted
    And this is exactly why Holinka is doing a terrible job.

He will undoubtedly play the victim card again for this response just like he did with the mount issue.

The guy is a complete mong, no surprise.

He does have a tendancy to go full mongoloid:

- Ashran bonus
    - Ashran in general... I could make quite a few points about Ashran so I'll just leave it as that.
    - Forcing a rep grind for certain bits of gear.... in Ashran
    - Set bonus or versatility on gear
    - Questionable nerfs/balance
    - RBG RNG gear
    - Highmaul prep time
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Designers in general, and design heads in particular, should be open to and able to take on criticism. I see too many WoW Devs act in a defensive way the second someone criticises them or aspects of the game, burying their heads in the sand instead of taking on that feedback and using it to improve things.

The game is built by Blizz but it's built FOR the playerbase, not the Devs. They need to stop being so obstinate....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    Designers in general, and design heads in particular, should be open to and able to take on criticism. I see too many WoW Devs act in a defensive way the second someone criticises them or aspects of the game, burying their heads in the sand instead of taking on that feedback and using it to improve things.

The game is built by Blizz but it's built FOR the playerbase, not the Devs. They need to stop being so obstinate....
    Even on a cruise ship, someone has to steer.

I notice they often go on the defencive straight up, but long after the whole thing becomes irrelevant they admt it wasn't as good as they hoped.

Ashran will be no different. Just give them time. To bad Ashran is no longer a part of the game.
    be aware, be awake, and you won't be fake

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    Sure. But if the captain of a cruise ship thought it'd be fun to head towards a tropical depression, you can bet the passengers would have some strong opinions about it and his refusal to listen to them.

Is he still answering questions on twitter? Especially after this:

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/536984262751174656

He seems to favor the possum defense to the hard questions, i.e. don't acknowledge it and hope it goes away.

Also I have always wondered does he or has he even PvPed to a decent level? I kind of feels wrong to have a lead designer who isnt even on the same level as the players.
    Last edited by TheTaurenOrc; 2014-12-15 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    And this is exactly why Holinka is doing a terrible job.
    I agree. I cut the guy some slack for a long time but development decisions implemented by his team have gone from questionable, to bad, to just plain stupid all the way to the complete disaster of trashran. Base resilience was our clue that he didn't have a clue. Trashran is the proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    This cruise ship is like Costa Concordia then.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I understand that ashran sucks, but people are freaking out about the 200 bonus CP a week from it. Over 7 weeks, if you got the bonus 200 CP every week, youd be able to get a ring. Thats not a big deal. By ~12 weeks into the season, as long as you have been hitting your other cap, and have a decent rating, you will be fully geared and able to buy stuff with honor. Thats when the arena/rbg season really evens out and becomes truly competitive. I dont understand all the frustration.

Sitting in ashran queue for 5 hours just to have a chance at getting 200 conq points is exciting and innovative gameplay.

Deleted
    I wish i i had the qualifications to be able to apply for Holinka's job. I know i would kill it. But unfortunate i don't, i only have in game pvp experience (unlike Holinka it seems)

Deleted
    He is just following the blizzard handbook on failed content :-
    1. Find a way to force people there (required for points/raid gear/conquest etc)
    2. After forcing people there point at the numbers and say its a massive success.
    3. Ignore all feedback that says otherwise. (e.g LFR)
    4. 1 year later say you made a mistake with x content, but we learned a lot of lessons from it.(like how we dont want to force poeple into rbg for cap but just make it ashran)
    5. Go back to 1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I understand that ashran sucks, but people are freaking out about the 200 bonus CP a week from it. Over 7 weeks, if you got the bonus 200 CP every week, youd be able to get a ring. Thats not a big deal. By ~12 weeks into the season, as long as you have been hitting your other cap, and have a decent rating, you will be fully geared and able to buy stuff with honor. Thats when the arena/rbg season really evens out and becomes truly competitive. I dont understand all the frustration.
    If you dont understand the frustration ill assume you play a winning faction, and its not just points, you have a shot at getting a conq piece per week from a win and gearing up is 10 x easier/faster.

I sit in 3hr ques, auto lose every game, we have never even seen the alliance base on our server, it takes me 1-2hrs just to win a side quest, just farming rep (that i need for gear) is a hassle.

If your going to make me do trash content to gear up fully then at the very least it should be playable and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by makoi6 View Post
    He is just following the blizzard handbook on failed content :-
    1. Find a way to force people there (required for points/raid gear/conquest etc)
    2. After forcing people there point at the numbers and say its a massive success.
    3. Ignore all feedback that says otherwise. (e.g LFR)
    4. 1 year later say you made a mistake with x content, but we learned a lot of lessons from it.(like how we dont want to force poeple into rbg for cap but just make it ashran)
    5. Go back to 1

- - - Updated - - -

If you dont understand the frustration ill assume you play a winning faction, and its not just points, you have a shot at getting a conq piece per week from a win and gearing up is 10 x easier/faster.

I sit in 3hr ques, auto lose every game, we have never even seen the alliance base on our server, it takes me 1-2hrs just to win a side quest, just farming rep (that i need for gear) is a hassle.

If your going to make me do trash content to gear up fully then at the very least it should be playable and balanced.
    I have 5 hour queues on my server and my faction never wins. I just CHOOSE not do it. Things will even out by 2/3s of the way through the season and the end of a season is the only time things matter anyway.Sure its nice to gear up faster and it definitely does give you an advantage in the beginning, but the beginning doesnt matter.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel Ashran is fun if it's equal teams on both sides. They need to always have a queue for Ashran to keep it equal and they need a way to kick people out of Ashran when it starts to get uneven, specifically when one side starts to leave and no new people join again. Then when someone comes after that it is ridiculously uneven for them. I was in one earlier where it was like 10v4. Maybe have a queue system when it goes below a number so that you can't even join until both sides have the minimum number.

He really is as obstinate as he seems. There is not one moment in his interviews/answers where he doesn't seem confident in his decision, even if it's flat out hated by everyone else. It's not his intelligence or his experience I question, it's his attitude towards the players. He has this aura around him that screams "I don't care what you say, I'll do what I want".