Thread: Dban question

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Dban question

Hey guys. I was wondering if any of you have used Dban to wipe your data. I want to wipe my entire hard drive of all its contents. It has windows on it and other data and I'd like to use it as my secondary storage device since I now have windows on an ssd. I'd really just like a clean hard drive to start from. I was wondering if it is possible to use my ssd while Dban is erasing the contents of my hard drive. I've looked through the internet for any information and can't seem to find an answer to this. Thanks guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are selling the drive or using it in a system that will be brought across international borders that kind of wipe simply is unnecessary.

Instead I would suggest installing windows on the ssd with the hdd unplugged from the system. After booting back into windows with the hdd connected use the disk management snap-in and delete all partitions on the hdd and start over that way.

Or

Assuming you have the drives in the proper order you could simply delete the partitions while in the windows installer.
    Proper order would be the ssd showing up at the top and any mechanical drives showing up underneath it.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-12-15 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    I want to wipe my entire hard drive of all its contents.
    Just do a full format. "Industrial strength" wipes are overrated and are not needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. DBAN is a liveCD/liveUSB. It's a self-contained operating system. You can't use your computer for anything else while it's working.

Unless you're selling the drive, there's no need for DBAN. Just format the drive from within windows. Even a quick format is sufficient for your purpose.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay I just formated thanks for the info

Instead I suggest installing windows on the ssd with the hdd unplugged from the system. After booting back into windows with the hdd connected use the disk management snap-in and delete all partitions on the hdd and start over that way.