Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    ...the ex-wife sounds very malicious. So killing her could have been a trigger, or he just went on spree trying to get out, realizing what he did in his rage. The military isnt known for having the best "husbands" or "wives."
    Sounds to me like she had the good sense to leave a crazy, violent person. Unfortunately, she didn't have the good sense to avoid getting involved with the crazy, violent person that went on to kill her after she left.
    The military isnt known for having the best "husbands" or "wives."
    In this case, you must mean they're not known for being the best spouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    PTSD is serious shit. More US troops are dying from suicide than fighting in wars. Great state of the world we live in, perpetual warfare and mental illness plaguing a huge percentage of the population (not just troops).
    But hey, OUR FREEDOMS!!!
    It comes down to the fact that our country needs to offer more/better treatment to soldiers coming home. War is terrible, but it is a part of human life, and good luck with getting rid of it. It all comes down what we are fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sounds to me like she had the good sense to leave a crazy, violent person. Unfortunately, she didn't have the good sense to avoid getting involved with the crazy, violent person that went on to kill her after she left.

OHHH shut the fuck up, not everyone who kills someone is a crazy, and he probably wasn't crazy when he met her, and you assuming that is fucked up and disrespectful in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

OHHH shut the fuck up, not everyone who kills someone is a crazy, and he probably wasn't crazy when he met her, and you assuming that is fucked up and disrespectful in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    Yeah, I should really be more respectful of the general sanity of nutcases that go on shooting sprees. My bad. He's probably a pretty chill guy that's just having a bad day.

Wait, that's dead wrong - he's a violent fuck that's killed 6 innocent people. He's the lowest of the low.

So are we ever going to do anything about funding mental health institutions and hospitals?

Its been like 731 days since Sandy Hook, and I'm still waiting on like the most vanilla of proposals.

Oh but who will foot the bill? The private sector? But where's the profit incentive to provide these services?

Not the government? But don't we agree that this service should be available in the society we live in?

Look at this roundabout about gun politics.

Gun politics is simply Poison Pill Politics.

Another day of avoided tyranny, more innocent lives are lost.

I hope the victims are enjoying their freedom.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    An Iraqi War veteran, who had reportedly suffered from Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome, went on a shooting spree today in Montgomery County Pennsylvania, killing his ex wife and 5 other members of her family. He's still at large.
    This is what happens when you've got a macho culture in the military, where showing human emotion is shunned and even mocked. They lock it up inside, all of it.
    If only they were taught to talk about their feelings, to open up and not feel shame about it.

More victims of war.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    So are we ever going to do anything about funding mental health institutions and hospitals?

Its been like 731 days since Sandy Hook, and I'm still waiting on like the most vanilla of proposals.

Oh but who will foot the bill? The private sector? But where's the profit incentive to provide these services?

Not the government? But don't we agree that this service should be available in the society we live in?

Look at this roundabout about gun politics.

Gun politics is simply Poison Pill Politics.

Another day of avoided tyranny, more innocent lives are lost.

I hope the victims are enjoying their freedom.
    Your government denied 9/11 first responders healthcare aid. You really think it gives a shit about soldiers? They're expendable, tools to be used and thrown away if they break. There's no money in empathy and care, only in the bullets dispensed.

Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    They said in the article it was Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome, but I don't know much about this stuff myself. Is it different names for the same sort of thing? Or are they so similar they're essentially indistinguishable?

Or did the article just make up a Syndrome?
    As far as I know it's just another version of PTSD. These fields change their nomenclature all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's a shame our Troops and Vets aren't getting the mental help they need after returning home from deployments.
    Didn't he? I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, PTSD isn't a "take two of these and see me in the morning" type of thing.

A lot of sufferers refuse treatment, or commit violence even during treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

He started with his ex wife, so while the others could have been off of that trigger, meaning those 5 are accidental deaths, the ex-wife sounds very malicious. So killing her could have been a trigger, or he just went on spree trying to get out, realizing what he did in his rage. The military isnt known for having the best "husbands" or "wives."
    I've only read a couple of articles on this, but none of them have gone into to much detail regarding the ex wife except for mentioning a custody dispute. What did you read/see that described her as very malicious?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This is what happens when you've got a macho culture in the military, where showing human emotion is shunned and even mocked. They lock it up inside, all of it.
    If only they were taught to talk about their feelings, to open up and not feel shame about it.

More victims of war.
    Wierd, because I have been in infantry formations for about 5 years now, and I have never seen a single Soldier mocked for having feelings. I mean obviously there is a right place and a wrong place to show it, in the middle of a mission then yes we expect you to bury it and move on. But Soldiers are very well aware of what PTSD does, you don't seem to have any idea how they actually react to it.

The people that "lock it up inside" the most are the leaders, they won't vent it in front of Soldiers, but everyone has an outlet, a group of peers they confide in. Squad leaders hang out with other squad leaders, LTs with other LTs, Company Commanders with 1SGs and other COs... Bottling it up doesn't work, and I don't know anyone that tries too. Now from a civilian outlook it may appear that they do, they won't tell their spouses, because they couldn't understand, or the therapist, or your clergy back home. Often what messes people up is when they leave the military, and find themselves without that group of peers to confide in, they start feeling there is nobody that understands or that they can trust, and that is a bad situation to be in.

But please don't talk out of your ass like you understand it and "if they would just talk all the problems would go away", you are contributing to what makes it a problem in the first place.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I should really be more respectful of the general sanity of nutcases that go on shooting sprees. My bad. He's probably a pretty chill guy that's just having a bad day.

Wait, that's dead wrong - he's a violent fuck that's killed 6 innocent people. He's the lowest of the low.
    Yes, a man who was discarded and left to go insane is all to blame for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

More victims of war.

- - - Updated - - -

Your government denied 9/11 first responders healthcare aid. You really think it gives a shit about soldiers? They're expendable, tools to be used and thrown away if they break. There's no money in empathy and care, only in the bullets dispensed.
    Touche. Although the James Zadroga Bill (9/11 1st Responder's Bill) was passed in the lame duck session of 2010.

And I will do everything I can to change that. I hope you're still supportive of what I said, because I meant what I said.

EDIT

Also, your statements although true, shouldn't change the serious and imperative nature of this crime.

We need mental health facilities. We need someone/something to step up to the plate.
    Last edited by taliey; 2014-12-16 at 05:02 AM.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    I hope your killed for the sake of never breeding.

What this guy did was wrong, but it sounds like PTSD/PTSS plus coming home after a Dear John letter, which is total shit, and any women who leaves a man fighting for his country should jump off a bridge.

Now the man should definetly spend the rest of his life locked away, but veterans who do shit because they are whacked out on shock are the only people who deserve special treatment, war is hell, and some people just aren't made for civilian life afterwards.

It's being reported that he was discharged in 2008, and that they filed for divorce in 2009. Have you read something different?

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    People that suffer from PTSD belong in high security psychiatries. I've known a few types like that in my life and they are completely unhinged and out of control, seemingly not aware of how much danger their actions can cause. They are a complete menace to society and it's highly irresponsible to just let them walk around freely.
    Because my cousin who suffers from PTSD from being plowed by a drunk driver and having his wife die in front of him, is guarenteed to be a menace to society... yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible that he just hated her/ her family rather than it being about pstt? It seems oddly specific to kill those certain people and no one else :S

People that suffer from PTSD belong in high security psychiatries. I've known a few types like that in my life and they are completely unhinged and out of control, seemingly not aware of how much danger their actions can cause. They are a complete menace to society and it's highly irresponsible to just let them walk around freely.
    This kind of thinking belongs in a mental institution a century ago.

We do not lock up sufferers of serious mental illnesses in boxes, shoving them in padded rooms to drool out the rest of their days. That is not how shit works anymore. Even the most extreme of schizophrenics and PTSD suffers can be treated with the right support.

This stuff is treatable, extremely treatable, but the tragedy is that veterans who suffer more often than not have little no tangible support line. They don't get the help they need re-acclimating to every-day life, they don't get the medical help they need with PTSD, they don't get support. In many cases, they come home from active duty and are very suddenly all alone, without a family to hold onto, or perhaps with a family that doesn't care about them anymore, and again, they are left out in the cold without the support that we should be giving all veterans who need it.

Your approach is barbaric at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Is it possible that he just hated her/ her family rather than it being about pstt? It seems oddly specific to kill those certain people and no one else :S
    PTSD doesn't mean you go on batshit-crazy Rambo rampages. Generally, when somebody murders someone, they have a reason and are familiar with the victims. Granted, it's generally a terrible reason, and sane people do not usually murder others, but still.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-12-16 at 10:02 AM.

Keeping unstable and violent people away from the general public is barbaric? Mmmkay then.
    You are making the assumption that a serious PTSD sufferer is 'unstable and violent.' They are not. Untreated, perhaps they can get that way, but that's the key here: untreated. So many veterans simply do not get treatment or help, and that is a tragedy in and of itself. Locking them away because they are 'dangerous and unstable' is not the answer, helping them is.

How do they know it was the PTSS that made him kill his family and not the fact that maybe he was a giant douche in the first place?

At least no one blames video games this time. Or wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how reports are saying the motivation is unknown and all the victims are his ex-wife and her relatives.

Keeping unstable and violent people away from the general public is barbaric? Mmmkay then.

I'll tell you what is barbaric, abusing young guys to go fight your unjust wars, and then tossing them aside without treatment.
    Yes, that is unjust, but you are now saying "not only should we toss them aside, but we should lock them up and take away their freedoms on the off-chance that they do commit a violent act". You are suggesting something even worse than the current system.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    His ex wife? Do we now this has anything to do with his being a veteran? I'm not saying it isn't, but do we actually know that is why? It could be a lovers quarrel is all though.

Not that PTSD isn't terrible or a cause of a lot of grief.
    Yeah, they headline the article with PTSD stuff, and yet as you read the article, the guy was in a fight with his x-wife over child support and custody.