Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Barracks - Lackluster?

What does it give you besides the rare and occasional mission? Trying to understand how useful it is compared to the other buildings, because so far it ain't carrying it's weight. A bodyguard doesn't seem like much of an improvement either.

5 extra active followers :|?

10+ Year Old Account
    5 extra followers.
    a bodyguard.
    the garrison ability for frostfire ridge
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

it's kinda useless by itself. it works better when you combine it with things like a salvage yard

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure bodyguards also have usable abilities when you rep them up to a certain level.

You can have more followers, as in more counters. It's one of the most useful buildings.

When you wish you could put Mediums on a Large plot that's how you know the big building are very lackluster.

The Bunker and the Stables are the best, for extra roll and mount speed, but even then everything is really useless after upgraded to the max, which is a shame cause it could be fixed rather quick.

Rank 3 upgrades could be more interesting on top of what they already do.

Bunker: Follower Xmog (out of the items you have), new item (cosmetic invisible shoulders) and cheaper transmog (75% off)
    Tower: Turn in 3 waystones, free portals for the rest of the day.
    Workshop: Put someone to work on it, follows you around Draenor and can summon whatever invention you'd like.
    Barracks: Missions cost 50% more resources, take 50% less time, yield 50% more.
    Stables: Slight bump to speed (25% aka 250%) and can fight while mounted.

The garrison ability is useless. The bodyguards are useless 99% of the time due to a combination of their AI, and their awkward respawn mechanic (takes 1 hour, requires you to collect them from garrison again).

The extra 5 followers is nice, but I'm pretty torn over whether this deserves a large slot. I mean, you may have 5 extra followers, but you're going to have a lot of them idle anyway as you run out of missions much faster than you run out of followers to send.

Tempted to grab the goblin siegeworks thing!

5 extra followers = 5 followers assigned to my buildings full-time while still having 20 followers for missions... and I always have all my followers out, so it works out nicely.

Also, racial guards, one of the few customization options we actually have.... so the Barracks is an automatic for me, regardless of any other factors :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    When you wish you could put Mediums on a Large plot that's how you know the big building are very lackluster.

The Bunker and the Stables are the best, for extra roll and mount speed, but even then everything is really useless after upgraded to the max, which is a shame cause it could be fixed rather quick.

Rank 3 upgrades could be more interesting on top of what they already do.

Bunker: Follower Xmog (out of the items you have), new item (cosmetic invisible shoulders) and cheaper transmog (75% off)
    Tower: Turn in 3 waystones, free portals for the rest of the day.
    Workshop: Put someone to work on it, follows you around Draenor and can summon whatever invention you'd like.
    Barracks: Missions cost 50% more resources, take 50% less time, yield 50% more.
    Since when??

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Since when??
    Those are suggestions of things he'd like to see implemented, not things that actually exist.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Those are suggestions of things he'd like to see implemented, not things that actually exist.
    Oh got ya, see that now.. Good Idea!

Deleted
    As a healer, my damage output is pretty low, so Bodyguards is the best thing It happened to me for questing. I aggro several mobs, let Illona spot them and I heal Illona while she defeats them.. it also works wonderfully for rares and elite.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Since when??
    You completely misunderstood his post, as others have pointed out, but FYI this has already been implemented in Nagrand presuming you took the Talbuk instead of the tank, so tech is in place and working for this.

On topic: while barracks itself isn't that spectacular, some of the bodyguards deal very decent damage at level 2-3 which means I can stay tank and kill more quicker, plus the extra 5 followers is a massive boon.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2014-12-16 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

It actually has more long term utility than most of the other large buildings. 5 extra followers is handy but the biggest benefit is the additional missions - this not only helps a lot in gearing when combined with the salvage yard but in the long run gets you more yield from missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the barracks. I love having the extra followers and now I get to have gnomes guarding my garrison! They seem to do pretty well with invasions too, setting up firing lines since the majority of them have guns. The most disappointing thing about the barracks itself is the fact that the building itself does nothing. there is pretty much zero reason to step foot into it, which is sad because the level 3 version of it is really detailed.
    The true demon lord.

the 5 extra is a big boost. especially when you consider the fact that some of your 20 are used up in profession buildings.

the bodyguard's dps are marginal (especially as you level) but their level 3 utility is quite good when going out in the world (well some are atleast).

Paladin bodyguard - summoning stone for parties and raids.

DK bodyguard - teleport to your garrison (that anyone can use, no CD)

Leorajh - Garrison mission access.

Talonpriest Ishaal - Mail Box

Tormmok - Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    the bodyguard's dps are marginal (especially as you level) but their level 3 utility is quite good when going out in the world (well some are atleast).

DK bodyguard - teleport to your garrison (that anyone can use, no CD)
    I don't know if the Alliance have something similar but The Horde's Vivianne does significant damage, particularly AE. As a tank grinding out Steamwheedle rep was a breeze with her. I could grab 10-20 mobs and We would both AE them down. Also her teleport to Garrison feature has come in handy many times while my Heartstone was on CD.

Other bodyguards do range from lackluster to ok, but she is my new girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    Spent 10 days training those 6 mounts to allow me to fight whilst mounted, finally - after all that training I cast whilst on one and...

OMG - the mounts have forgotten everything they learned

It's one of the most useful buildings.
    Last edited by ustzhenya; 2014-12-16 at 08:33 AM.