Upgrading My Compy

Had my comp for almost 3 years and considering getting an upgrade.

Currently Playing at 1440P running an AMD 8150 OC'd to 4.6 (Don't need to bother lecturing me about AMD, I know it was just a build I wanted to do ages ago as a big AMD fanboy that has... lost his love of amd CPUs now)

I still have RAm/Case/Gfx Card (7970 Ghz 3GB) etc etc etc that are plenty good for what I am planning on doing

My plans for gaming are Mostly WoW, some BF4 and various other games as time allows, I also would like to start streaming Arenas/Rbgs and stuff again hence why I decided its probably worth picking up the i7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $529.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 13:47 EST-0500

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there a question here? No sarcasm, are you looking for better alternatives? If so, for streaming videos thats a good build, really cant go wrong unless your looking for us to tell you what we would prefer brand wise. If so...

I would go with:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Mwave)
    Total: $539.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 13:56 EST-0500

Only becuase I dont trust watercooling and I love Gigabyte motherboards.

Mostly just bouncing ideas see if Anyone had a bad experience with with the cooler, or the Mobo, or anything like that

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Mostly just bouncing ideas see if Anyone had a bad experience with with the cooler, or the Mobo, or anything like that
    I see, well, the only Asrock board I had was a 990FX and it was shit, but I think it was because it was a AMD chipset, I replaced it with a Asus one and it was still shit.

Some respectable people here swear by Asrock, thats good enough for me, so if I couldnt get a Gigabyte for the same price range I would go for it. As stated I dont trust watercooling, air works as good sometimes better, just depends on the cooler, Bequiet and Noctuas are the shit, either is good for air.

7+ Year Old Account
    The i7-4790k is the fastest CPU on the market for gaming right now. Both in out-of-the-box clock speed, and overclockability. The X99 processors are actually SLOWER for gaming. They are the exact same architecture, but due to having more cores (6-8 as opposed to 4), the clock speed is lower to maintain TDP. And since games don't even fully utilize 4 cores/8 threads, those processors end up being slower just due to clock speed. Of course if you are running applications that CAN make full use of 6-8 cores/12-16 threads, then those processors will absolutely dominate, but gaming and streaming don't do that.

So yes, that is a VERY good CPU to get right now. I'm actually still running my 4770k that I got 16 months ago, and I don't see any need to upgrade for at least another year. I'm going to upgrade when Skylake comes out and DDR4 RAM becomes standard.

As far as Asrock goes, I've been using them since 2008, for both AMD and Intel motherboards, and I've never had the slightest issue. Right now I'm using a Z87 Extreme4. That water cooler you picked, while it's not bad per se, is actually LESS effective than the MUCH MUCH cheaper Hyper 212 Evo from Cooler Master. Water cooling isn't really necessary if your case has good airflow. It's an unnecessary expense, and adds additional complexity (and thus, more things to go wrong). If a fan on your CPU cooler starts having issues, no problem, you pop it out, pop a new one in, and go. If a water pump fails, or the system starts leaking, the problem might not be as immediately apparent, and can cause damage in the meantime. The ONLY time I'd recommend water cooling is if you have an unusual setup in a small form factor case like mini-ITX where there isn't enough airflow through the case.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-12-16 at 10:10 PM.

As i got my self to some money, i am thinking off buying a few things for my pc ..upgardes, acessories, lights etc...

I'll post my rig config now and will ask everything down below after. Allright let's begin :

MBO : Asus h77m LGA 1150
    CPU : intel i5 3470 3.2 Ghz
    RAM : 2x 4Gb of corsair vengeance blue at 1600Mhz
    GPU : Msi r9 270x gaming 2 Gb
    PSU : couger power bronze 80+ 400w
    CASE : Corsair Air 240

I have the feeling i mised something...

anyways.. the first i am think now and a lot of days before is a new gpu. I set my eyes on an EVGA GTx 970 Sc edition. And would be cool if some one has any eperience with that particular card ? if so tell me everything or should i wait for the 960 series ?

next on the list is the cpu. For todays games and near future games, do i need to bother with changing the old lGa 1150 socket with a new one .. ? or should i stick with it and change just my current CPU ? if so what do you suggest ? for the purpose of gaming and music editing .

and last the PSU. i f a get a new GPU and or Cpu or what soever i am planing on getting a PSU as well, thats aout of the question... and yet again.. what do you people suggest ? you'r experiences will come in handy.

If i missed something YELL and i will edit it

p.s. gief me good web site for Led lights for pc's

7+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Micro Center near you, they have REALLY good bundle deals on Intel CPU + motheboard. I saved about $80 versus the Newegg price for the same components when I got my 4770k. Worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    If you have a Micro Center near you, they have REALLY good bundle deals on Intel CPU + motheboard. I saved about $80 versus the Newegg price for the same components when I got my 4770k. Worth looking into.
    That's a handy advice, will look into it , one of these days !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I see, well, the only Asrock board I had was a 990FX and it was shit, but I think it was because it was a AMD chipset, I replaced it with a Asus one and it was still shit.

Some respectable people here swear by Asrock, thats good enough for me, so if I couldnt get a Gigabyte for the same price range I would go for it. As stated I dont trust watercooling, air works as good sometimes better, just depends on the cooler, Bequiet and Noctuas are the shit, either is good for air.
    ASRock for me hasn't been good, and only 1 year warranty. Though ASRock was kind enough to repair the board for the price of a new one. No thanks.