Deleted

Any logic to taunting on 4 for Butcher?

Most guides I've read, says taunt every other stack of tenderizer. But last raid some PUG raiders were adamant that things were easier for the healers if you taunted on 4 stacks. I could not see any logic to this, given that tenderizer stacks increase damage received. When I queried why, I was told something about more chance for (cleaver, presumably) stacks to drop off and syncing better with his charge, but I could not make sense of it. Should I advise our raid leader to ignore the 4 stacks things or is there some logic I'm missing? (We're a somewhat late starting raid team.) Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    PUG raiders
    theres your answer

Deleted
    The tenderizer does more damage per stack. There is no reason to stack it higher than necessary and you should just have your active mitigation up for it as it is the largest spike damage event of the fight on all difficulties. Basically just stack to 2 and switch, works on all difficulties and minimises damage taken.

Deleted
    I PuGed Highmaul earlier today on my alt, a protection warrior, now I've never tanked the bosses before, so I was unsure of how many stacks to go for on each boss, but we switched when DBM yelled at us (2 stacks) when that happened I had about 5 stacks of the cleaver (I may have done something wrong, but active mitigation didn't seem to stop it from applying) Anyhow, Once it was my turn to get smashed in the face the cleaver stacks were gone.
    So more or less, it's horseshit!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some of the earlier testing and guides suggested 4 stacks, could be they just had out if date info.

If your boss mod yells at you to taunt it is almost always correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    I PuGed Highmaul earlier today on my alt, a protection warrior, now I've never tanked the bosses before, so I was unsure of how many stacks to go for on each boss, but we switched when DBM yelled at us (2 stacks) when that happened I had about 5 stacks of the cleaver (I may have done something wrong, but active mitigation didn't seem to stop it from applying) Anyhow, Once it was my turn to get smashed in the face the cleaver stacks were gone.
    So more or less, it's horseshit!
    'how many stacks to go for on each boss' - why are almost all noob tanks so stupid that they are interested on 'how many stacks'? Obvious rule of a thumb is to simply taunt when your stack drop. So if the other tank manages to avoid getting a stack, you will wait for him to receive another, completely unnecessary stack, and only then actually taunt?

The more you wait, the more stacks of bleed effect the main target risk getting, thus causing even more stress on healers. Even more true sub 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    'how many stacks to go for on each boss' - why are almost all noob tanks so stupid that they are interested on 'how many stacks'? Obvious rule of a thumb is to simply taunt when your stack drop. So if the other tank manages to avoid getting a stack, you will wait for him to receive another, completely unnecessary stack, and only then actually taunt?
    This pretty much sums up 99% of tank swap debuff mechanics (in a rude/elitist sort of way). Taunt when your debuff falls off. It just so happens that that usually lines up with the other tank having a certain number of stacks, due to boss ability frequency (and often tank-debuff abilities are not avoidable).

But some are inexperienced or may be more aware (through UI or just habit) of the other tanks debuffs moreso than their own. And boss mods often report tank debuff stacks, but not when those stacks fall off.
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2014-12-17 at 04:31 PM.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Taunt at 2 stacks if you are progressing, if you are getting more geared, you can possibly go more. But there's really no reason to.

Taunt when your stacks fall off, or at 1 stack (if that tank pulled the boss).

Some guilds that did this on mythic used 3 tanks and taunted 1 stack each.

No, you would never *intentionally* go to 3+ stacks.. barring LFR and being at like 700+ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenkor View Post

No, you would never *intentionally* go to 3+ stacks.. barring LFR and being at like 700+ilvl.
    Really? Which guilds 3 tanked this on mythic, and do you have any logs of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenkor View Post

Well, I tanked 8! stacks in LFR on my iLvl 617 Brewmaster, because the other tank didn't know what to do and the phrases "taunt" "pls taunt" "xyz PLS taunt" and other more capslocky things didn't quite get through to his brain.
    Well, I didn't die, LFR is THAT easy.

But yeah, just taunt at 2

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Well, I tanked 8! stacks in LFR
    LFR is so trivial you could ignore the stacks, take your armor off and unarmed the boss and still not need to have two tanks for it.

There is no reason to stack it higher than necessary and you should just have your active mitigation up for it as it is the largest spike damage event of the fight on all difficulties.
    Last edited by jasinzhai; 2014-12-18 at 08:45 AM.