Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Then why do British actors have such higher global appeal and potential for success than probably any other nationality, except maybe American? They really do seem to be over represented in most film and television in the US, which still produces the largest hits.
    it probably has to do with the fact we throw British people into every period type piece we do at any chance we get, and then all the streotypical British roles we throw more British people at because it's "exotic" they get exposure of course and go on to become actors in other things.

We also have a shit shit shit ton of Canadian actors.

The worst accents are Southern accents. For some reason, every Southern accent is delivered like Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind. When in actuality, most Southern accents sound country-ish. I've heard some really terrible Cajun accents as well.
    Last edited by Dolus; 2014-12-17 at 07:26 AM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

I'm fine whenever I don't have to hear American accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This has nothing to do with it, at all... also it's not as though British actors are some godsend.
    british actors are the best, were simply better then everyone else. the only country that can compete is america and occasionally france.

have you seen some of the garbage that comes out of places like spain and germany?

- - - Updated - - -

it probably has to do with the fact we throw British people into every period type piece we do at any chance we get, and then all the streotypical British roles we throw more British people at because it's "exotic" they get exposure of course and go on to become actors in other things.

We also have a shit shit shit ton of Canadian actors.
    forgot about canada, canada is okay too.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I'd imagine that English accents would be at least a little foreign to Americans.

Oh well, I'm just glad there aren't many Australian accents outside of Australia. Hearing our accents in contrast with others makes me never want to speak again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Could your average person from the UK tell the difference between a Boston accent, a New York accent, and a Philly accent? Chicago vs. the rest of the Upper Midwest? Canadian maritime against someone from Saskatoon? Doubt it.

Don't let me get in the way of the circlejerk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    british actors are the best, were simply better then everyone else. the only country that can compete is america and occasionally france.

have you seen some of the garbage that comes out of places like spain and germany?

- - - Updated - - -

forgot about canada, canada is okay too.
    Why do you think British actors are "the" best? It probably has to do with the fact they speak English, we speak English therefore we have a shit ton of Canadian and British actors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1994and2011 View Post
    Could your average person from the UK tell the difference between a Boston accent, a New York accent, and a Philly accent? Chicago vs. the rest of the Upper Midwest? Canadian maritime against someone from Saskatoon? Doubt it.

Don't let me get in the way of the circlejerk, though.
    Boston accents sound fucking weird, like it's clearly not a typical New York accent. Also this isn't what the thread is about, it's about making everyone British.

I don't watch much television, so I can't really tell how prevalent it is. But that does bug a little, yeah.

Have we gotten past the point where every new "reality" show is about a British person yelling at random slack-jawed Americans for being bad at their jobs, yet? I'm completely out of the loop.

Why do you think British actors are "the" best? It probably has to do with the fact they speak English, we speak English therefore we have a shit ton of Canadian and British actors.

- - - Updated - - -

Boston accents sound fucking weird, like it's clearly not a typical New York accent. Also this isn't what the thread is about, it's about making everyone British.
    were the best because.. were the best.

you look at stuff from other countries, spain? bleh, germany? bleh, sweden? meh, bollywood? oh god no. south america? a bunch of telenovela garbage, and dont even get me started on the crap that comes from australia

japans okay, weeaboos will try to tell you their voice actors are on some sort of higher level but theyre just as cheesy and awful as other voice actors, their live action stuff is meh.

even the shitty television and movies from the uk tend to be more enjoyable then most of the shit from other countries.

very very rarely am i wowed by an actor outside the uk. one of the few that HAVE wowed me and i feel are one of the greatest actresses is Tatiana maslany in orphan black.

i believe shes from canada, shes got some chops, one of the best actresses ive seen in a long time.

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Try being Australian. My skin crawls when American shows have characters with Australian accents. I think it was actually better when they got the accent all wrong, at least that was funny.

I notice a new show about a character who is immortal he has lived 200 years and he is English.
    Well 200 years ago is 1814, when Britain was the top dog superpower so that kind of makes sense I guess? Romans speaking the Queen's Latin makes less...

Then again if you made-a big-a show about-a Rome and alla tha actors spoke-a with-a stereotypical Italian accents, people would-a be all like "wassa this-a?".

Also there's something horrific about a Roman with a thick American accent. I even find that protocol droid in Episode I that had an American accent jarring! Which is weird because that's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    As someone who lives in London and enjoys american shows...

There is a difference between American English and a real English accent. Most shows use the East London 1800's accent that NO ONE alive ever uses. If you want to use an English accent please for the love of what's right, use an English actor.

Perfect example of the wrong accent.

I dunno about that. Britain does have a strong tradition of stage that lends itself to a certain kind of actor.

There are good actors in every country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post

There is a difference between American English and a real English accent. Most shows use the East London 1800's accent that NO ONE alive ever uses. If you want to use an English accent please for the love of what's right, use an English actor.

I hear Winston's accent is not authentic lunar gorilla either.

yeah tracers accent is all kinds of wonky.

only person i know that actually sounds like that is jenny from doctor who

I will say I love when I hear normal English accents it's homey feeling, but the accents used are never them.

Buddy of mine flies for a big freight company from from Asia to Australia. He's from the southern U.S. He says Australian women LOVE guys with southern accents. He doesn't get women in the states or in Japan or anywhere else in Asia, but Australia...he's a fucking god.

So piss off haters. If a good ol' country boy can get pussy with his accent, it can't be all bad. Although I admit the fake ones on t.v. are usually pretty terrible and not authentic at all. Just way over the top drawl that only happens in the extreme back woods places.
    Last edited by Budong; 2014-12-17 at 06:45 AM.

English accents (tv) either sound like high uppity nonsense or that someone is trying to talk with their mouth full. I think people just over emphasis accents to make it sure it sound different. Like Canadians don't sound that different from most Americans, so people exaggerate when they say ABOOT or SOREY. Even though the difference is more subtle.
    X

15+ Year Old Account
    This is very easily answered. Pretty much only US and the UK really have any global market in television. Hence why those are the most common accents.

But I have to mention that America generally uses the California accent like the 'British' accent is used. There are some outliners, but usually the California accent is used.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Buddy of mine flies for a big freight company from from Asia to Australia. He's from the southern U.S. He says Australian women LOVE guys with southern accents. He doesn't get women in the states or in Japan or anywhere else in Asia, but Australia...he's a fucking god.

So piss off haters. If a good ol' country boy can get pussy with his accent, it can't be all bad. Although I admit the fake ones on t.v. are usually pretty terrible and not authentic at all. Just way over the top drawl that only happens in the extreme back woods places.
    the fuck does southern us accents have to do with english accents?

Deleted
    The english accent just seems to be considered more prim and proper due to period dramas so is attached to everything and it's far less jarring than a roman with an american accent (no offence to americans) or trying to find a full cast of well known actors who can all pull off a good accent

but as an englishman from south london I'm not blindly ignorant to this, I got AssasinsCreed:Unity last month looking forward to its french revolution setting

But within seconds was hit by the biggest immersion breaker (more so than the game being totally fucking broken, it's actually getting a 5.6gig patch this week...ubisoft you suck) I'm in revolutionary France but everyone has a london accent.... in AC2 the setting was italy everyone spoke in english with Italian accents OR you had an option for full Italian with subs

But in Unity? Oh no it's full cockney with the odd Oui thrown in to remind you you're actually in france

But even more annoying is that all the random citizens that chatter away as you wander around paris all speak full fucking french and there's no option for english so you have no idea what they are saying...... and you can't have subs when there's a potential 5000 on screen npcs talking at the same time....

Sometimes english accents make more sense than others but sometimes like in Unity it's because a complete moron more interested in cutting corners was allowed to make desicions

- - - Updated - - -

te fuck does southern us accents have to do with english accents?
    maybe he was born with an english accent like stewie in family guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    It's weird, apparently Australian accents are a hit with the ladies in the U.S., despite it being a horrible accent.

- - - Updated - - -

the fuck does southern us accents have to do with english accents?
    Americans aren't aware other countries have a south.

/cultural stereotypes