Thread: Event Horizon

Event Horizon

So I know this can't actually be true but I use EventHorizon and I notice that if I launch a Chaos Bolt at 1 stack of Backdraft and immediately hit Conflagrate my Backdraft stack goes back up to 4 instead of 3. This often worries me that I'm then casting on a stack later that doesn't actually exist. Maybe I'm understanding something wrong but any clarification on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chaos Bolt can only consume 3 Backdraft stacks at once, if you have less than 3(AKA 2 or 1) it will not consume them at all. EventHorizon is correct, and you are misinformed in how stuff works.

Also, unless something has mysteriously changed from MoP, you almost never want to use Backdraft stacks for Chaos Bolt, always Incinerate until 2 or less and then fire away Chaos Bolts.

It is true. Chaos Bolt (CB) uses all 3 stacks of Backdraft. So if you only have one or two stacks then CB will not consume the Backdraft and be faster. In practice, apart from perhaps your opener depending on procs, you shouldn't be using Backdraft on CB.

Is this clear?

P.S. if you read the Destro guide in this forum it has a nice little section on using Backdraft correctly.
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2014-12-18 at 12:08 AM.

Well that's what I was saying, at 1 stack is when I usually cast CB. I'm supposed to do it at 2 then? I always just thought it was 2 or less as it ate them all at that level. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Also, unless something has mysteriously changed from MoP, you almost never want to use Backdraft stacks for Chaos Bolt, always Incinerate until 2 or less and then fire away Chaos Bolts.
    You should only use the conflag stacks on CB if it would mean that you could get a CB in in within your procs ( trinkets/DS/pots ) that wouldn't have fit in the procs otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    Well that's what I was saying, at 1 stack is when I usually cast CB. I'm supposed to do it at 2 then? I always just thought it was 2 or less as it ate them all at that level. Good to know.
    Yeah, Chaos Bolt will only consume 3 stacks of Backdraft if there are 3 or more stacks of Backdraft up. It will never consume less than 3, and it'll never consume more than 3. If you cast it with 2 or fewer stacks of Backdraft, it will be unaffected by Backdraft and it will not consume those stacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    You should only use the conflag stacks on CB if it would mean that you could get a CB in in within your procs ( trinkets/DS/pots ) that wouldn't have fit in the procs otherwise.
    This is true, but the extra missing piece is that you should only do it if that ember wouldn't otherwise be spent under a different proc or damage buff. You don't want to spend backdraft to get a Chaos Bolt out under a proc, if later you'd use that same exact ember during a different one, as you've basically wasted those stacks of backdraft for no reason.