Why didn't my R9 270 work? :( motherboard maybe?

First of all we tried it with 600w psu, so it shouldnt be a psu problem.

I want this GPU: R9 270 2gb pci-e 3

My motherboard info:

Manufacturer PEGATRON
    Model IPXSB-H61 (Socket 1155)
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision 09
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model H61
    Southbridge Revision B3
    System Temperature 29 °C
    BIOS
    Brand American Megatrends Inc.
    Version 4.6.4.0
    Date 12.11.2010
    Voltage
    CPU CORE 0,984 V
    MEMORY CONTROLLER 1,488 V
    +3.3V 2,904 V
    +5V 4,980 V
    -5V (8,880) V
    +5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2,782 V
    CMOS BATTERY 1,656 V
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage Available
    Data lanes x16
    Slot Designation J6B2
    Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
    Slot Number 0
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage Available
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation J6B1
    Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
    Slot Number 1

So is it my motherboard? or did the tect guys in the store did something wrong? Should I go to another store to get r9 270 installed or is it a lost case?

Edit: my old gpu radeon hd 6770 was working with it.
    Edit 2: Some guy says if you update your motherboard drivers, new gpu's can work, but I cant find the update for my motherboard, any help with that?
    Last edited by yunuss; 2014-12-18 at 02:39 PM.

I've already got my refund, but if you can tell me there shouldnt be a problem with my motherboard I will try to my the new GPU again from somewhere else

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the 6770 worked in the motherboard and nothing has changed since you replaced it then no it shouldn't be the motherboard unless you're replacing the 6770 because you thought it was broken and it ended up being the motherboard and not the GPU. If that was the case then you'd likely be seeing the same issue as before. It's not common for PCI slots to break on the motherboard. Does the computer boot without the GPU?

Other than the model of your motherboard you haven't really given us much information to understand exactly what the problem is. All you said it is it doesn't work.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    If the 6770 worked in the motherboard and nothing has changed since you replaced it then no it shouldn't be the motherboard unless you're replacing the 6770 because you thought it was broken and it ended up being the motherboard and not the GPU. If that was the case then you'd likely be seeing the same issue as before. It's not common for PCI slots to break on the motherboard. Does the computer boot without the GPU?

Other than the model of your motherboard you haven't really given us much information to understand exactly what the problem is. All you said it is it doesn't work.
    My 6770 worked and still works, pc can boot with onboard gpu too. Maybe I should update my chipset drivers with http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...t?iid=dc_iduu? eh?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your motherboard drivers aren't updated then you should have done that already to begin with regardless of the GPU, although It likely won't be the cause of the card not working. It's an 1155 socket so it's not like the motherboard is incredibly old. Technology in PCIe itself hasn't changed much. Always keep your drivers updated though. All of them not just the GPU.

It's possible the GPU was just defective to begin with and if drivers updates don't work then it makes it much more likely. Your only other option would be to update the BIOS but honestly I have no idea where to get the file for the update assuming there is one. I'm assuming prebuilt so it's probably available on that brands website under your particular build model. Still likely wouldn't fix the issue though. BIOS updates are generally more useful for letting motherboards work with new CPUs as that technology is different and does change pretty frequently. Other than that it's mostly just stability and performance updates.

Try just purchasing another R9 270 possible even from somewhere else and installing it. Be sure that it's plugged into the PSU properly and that your display is plugged into the GPU. There isn't much reason to believe it's anything other than the GPU they gave you as the one you have works.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final...-compatibility

This guy says amd cards have compatibility issues with old pci-e slots but nvidia works fine, so I decided to buy nvidia gtx660 which is similar to r9 270 performance-wise, what do you think?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't see an 1155 socket mobo having a PCIe 1.1 slot either way.

2.0 was out before Sandy Bridge. I can't find the exact spec on that for your motherboard though. Perhaps maybe someone else can. If it really was the case then the bandwidth would likely be extremely low and probably not support higher end cards anyways. The exact limits of a slot that old are unknown to me.

That article even says that if it was v1.1 then it would also have trouble running a 600 series card though not just AMD. Still don't see it being the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yunuss View Post
    http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final...-compatibility

This guy says amd cards have compatibility issues with old pci-e slots but nvidia works fine, so I decided to buy nvidia gtx660 which is similar to r9 270 performance-wise, what do you think?
    That should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I personally don't see an 1155 socket mobo having a PCIe 1.1 slot either way.

2.0 was out before Sandy Bridge. I can't find the exact spec on that for your motherboard though. Perhaps maybe someone else can. If it really was the case then the bandwidth would likely be extremely low and probably not support higher end cards anyways. The exact limits of a slot that old are unknown to me.

That article even says that if it was v1.1 then it would also have trouble running a 600 series card though not just AMD. Still don't see it being the case.
    Thank you for answering all along mate, appreciated. I just wanna play games like far cry 4 with more than 25 fps I'm gonna get gtx660 tomorrow and we'll see!