Have Things Gotten Smaller?

So I was leveling an alt thriough howling fjord and even on a flying mount utgarde keep was massive! While in draenor, sure things felt larger than in pandaria, but even something like bladespire fortress felt alot smaller than this place. I miss places like utgarde, storm peak mountians and nordrassil. Has blizzard downscaled things since mop was released or is it just me? Only truely large place i found was the temple of karabor. I want more stuff like that

Do you want more crazy massive structures?

Every once and a while I'll find myself outside of Ulduar and the question does sort of come up: "Considering only a tiny percentage of this area is used for questing, was it a waste of resources?" And being that I didn't do too very much in Northrend when it was currrent and thus don't know if the day-to-day was just as boring then as WoD is now, I don't really know how to answer that.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Every once and a while I'll find myself outside of Ulduar and the question does sort of come up: "Considering only a tiny percentage of this area is used for questing, was it a waste of resources?" And being that I didn't do too very much in Northrend when it was currrent and thus don't know if the day-to-day was just as boring then as WoD is now, I don't really know how to answer that.
    wrath was the only expansion where each raid tier was accompanied by new 5man content. I don't think resources were a problem.

It all seems like this new excuse of theirs

tho to be fair, diablo 3, hearthstone, heroes, overwatch, and most of sc2 didn't exist back then. might have really gutted the team
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2014-12-19 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't have something like that in Draenor, because you can't fly. When you don't have flying, even the smallest mountains become annoying chores to surmount over and over again, which is why they have to curtail the extravagance of their designs.

Look at spires of Arak verus Storm Peaks. Arak looks tiny in comparison. Or, for an even more equatable situation, compare Kun'lai summit to Storm Peaks. Both are supposed to be giant mountain ranges. But storm peaks looks vast and titanic... Kun'lai summit you can walk around in about five minutes. Hell, that random filler mountain between Dalaran and ICC is taller than Neverest peak in Kun'lai.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

kalerdor kun' lei wasn't anywhere close to storm peaks. those mountians felt really small Arguement doesn't really work imo

Basically there are no structures in mop or wod that reach the maximum flight limit hight in size.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2014-12-19 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    kalerdor kun' lei wasn't anywhere close to storm peaks. those mountians felt really small Arguement doesn't really work imo
    That's what I was saying...

Also, it's "Kaleredar."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

WoD has always felt small to me and I believe lack of flight is a major factor in my feeling that way. Personally, I am unable to gauge scope from ground level. I guess I'm one of those 'can't see the forest for the trees' types.

Wrath was a gorgeous expansion though, I still think Howling Fjord in particular is one of WoW's prettiest zones. I thought the Jade Serpent Temple was impressive looking too. So, yes to more grandiose buildings.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

That's one of the things I miss about not flying on Draenor. While I understand the posture of being on ground gives a different scale of things, being able to fly and observe the magnitude of the world from afar is sometimes breath taking.

Places like Kun Lai Summit, the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Storm Peaks, Jade Forest, Howling Fjord, Grizzly Hills, and others, have some amazing scenery that you can miss if you are on foot.

To be fair, Highmaul is huge, almost like Ulduar, although maybe not as tall and imposing. I hadn't seen it until I used Aviana's feather to get there. It's even better when you realize that it's a fully sized instance unlike Karazhan (for example) that doesn't match its exterior form.

Deleted
    i think storm peaks deserves to be much bigger than other mountainous zones, its home to an old god and a lot of titan lore, its only fitting that everything is so much bigger. I also think that such hugeness everywhere would kind of ruin the feeling you get from the few rare areas that really are that massive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post

Basically there are no structures in mop or wod that reach the maximum flight limit hight in size.
    The "maximum flight limit" is completely arbitrary. Try flying to Mount Hyjal through Ashenvale. You hit the flight ceiling very quickly because Ashenvale's is very low to the ground, then as soon as you get near Hyjal it shoots way up. Plus, the top of Utgarde Keep is nowhere near the flight ceiling.

WoD has some impressive structures, at least from the ground. Bladespire Citadel and Highmaul both looked pretty impressive to me in-game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You can't have something like that in Draenor, because you can't fly. When you don't have flying, even the smallest mountains become annoying chores to surmount over and over again, which is why they have to curtail the extravagance of their designs.
    what?
    draenor is the most annoying place to not have flying mounts. every other place except like icecrown and storm peaks was fine without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They made it smaller and more cluttered because they designed it around ground mounts, not flying mounts.

No point in making giant cool looking buildings if you won't be able to see half of it or have them standing in your path requiring you to take the long detour around them.

With that said, I still think WotLK had the best zones and music in the game. The team that made that expansion needs to come back to WoW.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    it was in Wrath, of course it was better.

The timey whimey wibbley wobbly portal has sent us through another time jump and we are headed for Northrend 2.0, who's ready?? It won't be done, well who knows it could be done, we are in Draenor 2.0. I loved and still love Northrend, Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are my favorite places and they have my favorite music in the game.

Dude thx for making me understand something I couldn't really explain! I've been feeling exactly that, like everything is so smaller! Though it could be cuz i rerolled from a Worgen to a Dwarf :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    what?
    draenor is the most annoying place to not have flying mounts. every other place except like icecrown and storm peaks was fine without it.
    Is my post that hard to read? Two people now have misread it.

I literally said "When you don't have flying [Like on Draenor,] even the smallest mountains become annoying chores to surmount."

What part of that sounds like "nah it's cool to have mountains and no flying?"

And of course every other place was fine "without flying," but that's because you did have flying... not when you were leveling, but at max level. So it never got annoying, because you could fly over it.

If I had to run my ass from Dalaran to Gundrak every time I wanted to do that dungeon, you're damn straight I would have hated Zul'drak. Or if I had to take some ridiculously circuitous flightpath from Shrine of the Seven Stars to Halfhill farm every day for the tillers back in MoP? That would have been hell.

I haven't even touched archaeology in WoD. The thing is bad enough already; we don't need to be hoofing it across an entire continent "for the memories" to go play a game of hot-cold on top of that.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-12-19 at 07:49 PM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Is my post that hard to read? Two people now have misread it.

I literally said "When you don't have flying [Like on Draenor,] even the smallest mountains become annoying chores to surmount."

What part of that sounds like "nah it's cool to have mountains and no flying?"
    It's a pretty common problem problem on this forum and quite a few others, unfortunately.

Or if I had to take some ridiculously circuitous flightpath from Shrine of the Seven Stars to Halfhill farm every day for the tillers back in MoP? That would have been hell.
    Truth be told: I often took the flight path because I could alt+tab without ending up in Krasarang by accident. Hopefully when 6.1 drops (February perhaps) they've already specifically said that flight paths will be made more direct.

On you original topic though: Just think of what they could have done with High Maul that they've let go. The raid's structure exists outside the instance but you can't really see it because of the way it's designed and there's no good reason to explore it outside of the instance itself.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Have Things Gotten Smaller?
    Yes but it's colder these days.

Seriously though.
    I do miss the massive structures, they are so much more fun to go exploring around, almost Like you are Harrison Jones exploring an ancient temple.

different things are in different sizes? who would have thought.

also. SIZE DOES NOT MATTER. Except in child-level arguments.