[Resto] - lack of direct healing

So this wont apply to many on here because it is actually a question regarding heroic dungeons. I know....I'm way behind!!

I used to raid frequently, getting into heroics, but by no means in top guilds. But I always felt I was a very good tree, and stayed up on all the theorycrafting and really optimized my play. I'm not fully up to speed still, but I'm actually struggling with heroics in WoD. Haven't caused any wipes thankfully, but pally tanks have had to use lay on hands, which I hate it when that happens.

So my question, I'll have both rejuvs (germination) and lifebloom up on tank, and I'm still have to literally spam regrowth just to keep them alive...sometimes even having to pop ToL or HoTW. I'm used to just dps'ing most of the time in heroic dungeons as a tree. Is this normal? I'm only ilvl 615, so I know I'm low, but I still couldn't believe how horrible my single target healing feels. I used ironbark on tank on CD, but just can't believe how much I'm having to spam regrowth (glyphed) to keep tank alive, sometimes to the point of going OOM. Also using natures swiftness on CD.

So am I doing something wrong, or is this just the state of trees right now? I'm guessing in raids, doing big heals to tank wont be my responsibility, but it has been frustrating performing so poorly in heroics.

Also, side note, but does ironbark also increase hot effectiveness by 20%? Thought I read that somewhere, but I think the tooltip only shows it reduces their damage.

Thanks for the help, and love this community!!

Dru

Bad tanks not using CDs, seen a lot of tanks not using a single defensive CD and their Active Mitigation is also barely used.

Druids still are the best healers for dungeons and CMs.

For dungeons try and spec Cenarion Ward (and even macro it to IronBark for ease of use), which provides a pretty significant heal every 30 seconds (and a combo DR + HoT every 60), which helps leading into big pulls as you can also preemptively put it on the tank.

Also, SotF is particularly nice in Dungeons. Paired with Germination it allows you to essentially have three rejuvs on the tank as one of the two will be boosted by 100%. It can also be used for WG as needed. Unglyph WG, it allows you to get more WGs off and the extra target is useless in dungeons. Think of WG as an extra Hot on the tank for critical pulls... use your mana, because drinking in dungeons is a skill on its own and allows you to be more wasteful with spells (use your mobility to sneak in drinks as you move to the next pull). Same idea with Efflo, knowing a big pull is coming, put it down.

If you get behind on the tank, don't be afraid to use genesis occasionally and then re-apply your rejuvs.

But anyway, just with Cenarion Ward and Sotf, that should allow you to have 2 additional HoTs rolling on the tank during critical pulls that will relieve the regrowth spam pressure. Add in efflo and WG on the worst pulls, and that is 4 additional HoTs. But at the end of that day, you will be spamming regrowth often, that is our bread and butter direct heal and it sees more use in WoD than it did in the previous expansion.
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2014-12-19 at 10:33 PM.
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

Deleted
    It's way the heroics are now - it's not just tanks' active mitigation, *lots* of trash damage can be fully prevented or heavily mitigated by interrupts/stuns, or even better mob positioning (grimrail). I run both holy paladin and resto druid and there is minimal difference in potency of single target healing - but there is HUGE difference in damage intake between inexperienced and knowledgable group (that is invisible to casual observer).

Welcome to healing in WoD, where 1 spell cast no longer tops off a tank.

Also, here our our perks, which you reference (20% via Ironbark).

http://www.wowhead.com/spells=-14.11.105
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

15+ Year Old Account
    It may be your tanks mistake. I use 2xRej followed by genesis to top someone up when I need to but it shouldn't happen often. Also keep in mind gear matters alot. At 630 I felt the same now everyone has got 640+ gear at its getting quite easy. I hope this helps =)

P.S. No talent is mandatory for HCs. You should be fine with most builds and I strongly recommend trying out different talents so you know which is good for what situation. I find myself switching talents for different bosses during a Highmaul run.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2014-12-19 at 10:47 PM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time Lifebloom + Rejuvenation + the occasional Healing Touch should be enough to keep the tank topped at all times. If that's not the case, the tank is making too big pulls and/or not using active mitigation/stuns properly. There are still plenty of people running dungeons who think that they can chainpull like they did in MoP, and when they die, you'll get the usual "OMG HEALER?!11!?!?1?!"
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

I'll keep Rejuv x 2, Lifebloom, Cenarian Ward, and Regrowth when the freebie procs on the tank. Swiftmend if they take a big hit, if an even bigger hit, Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch. Sometimes I have to use Ironbark on them or drop a Mushroom at their feet. If they're taking more damage than all that, they're doing something wrong.

You dont need to take germination(often it encourages inefficiency), soul of the forest with unglyphed regrowth and rampant growth creates great flexibility in play style.

Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    You dont need to take germination(often it encourages inefficiency), soul of the forest with unglyphed regrowth and rampant growth creates great flexibility in play style.
    And better tank-healing, especially in terms of HPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
    And better tank-healing, especially in terms of HPM.
    Does this apply to raid scenarios? I thought Germination was considered better based off of what I've read. I personally love SoTF and am going to be running Rampant Growth as I gear up in heroics but not sure if this is frowned upon in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoosuphat View Post
    Does this apply to raid scenarios?
    Yes, Rampant Growth gives you better tank healing in raids also, but most other healing classes do tank healing better than druids, especially in terms of mana efficiency, so if you have to resort to heavy Regrowth-spam to keep your tank alive in a raid, you might want to evaluate your raid composition.

Rejuvenation has much larger potential in a raid setting than when there's only 5 targets to heal. The rejuvenation talents become stronger than they are in 5-mans, in my opinion.

I've used Rampant Growth extensively in raids, below mythic you can really use whatever you want and you will succeed if you play the talents you choose decently. In Mythic fights it's more doable to coordinate cooldown usage between healers, which can make it easier to get full benefits from Incarnation.

Mythic is not so much about playing how you enjoy or prefer, it's more about doing whatever is necessary to get the kill.

Personally, my healing problems in 5-mans disappeared when I made friends with Genesis. It's a very mana-heavy spell, but on short 5-man fights it's absolutely amazing for topping up the tank (or the whole group should that be needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    For dungeons try and spec Cenarion Ward...
    Disagree for someone that's new to RDruid mechanics - Ysera's is very strong, and has less risk of being underutilized by someone that's still working on the basics.

Cenarion ward is not amazing and Ysera's is nearly as good while being a passive.

CMs, go SotF with germination unless you're trying for gold. Use Genesis as your "oh shit" since its HPM is zero.

Rampant growth is great but harder to use efficiently (mana) without a good UI setup, or with a lot of shit going on. You can't just blindly pick talents, you have to think about what you're looking to achieve.

Hi,

I have a 640 ivl but certainly don't feel like an OP resto druid healer. I have come back to the game after taking about 3 years off.

Can someone please tell me how I should be specing and glyphing, and also how to correctly heal the tank, and also how to correctly heal multiple dps targets?

When lots of damage is being taken I certainly don't play like an OP druid as compared to priests for example.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quipyn View Post
    I have come back to the game after taking about 3 years off.

Can someone please tell me how I should be specing and glyphing, and also how to correctly heal the tank, and also how to correctly heal multiple dps targets?
    This is when you look at the sticky threads on this forums.