Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Most fun / safe melee class

Hopefully title says it all..... Looking to roll a melee class for pvp that is a lot of fun, good skill ceiling, relatively steady history as far as buffs/nerfs.....

Does it exist ?

Deleted
    warrior

1 support
    3 arena 123 abilities
    easy dps rota

yes, warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd vote DK if for something that's consistently decent-> good. or if you want to be OP in OP comp play ret or combat rogue.

If you want a skill ceiling. I kind of want to say Rogue. Most of the melee in PVP (who are worth playing - no enh shaman) are decently easy. People give rogues a lot of hell for being "easy" but they do have quite a few tools to manage and their defenses aren't quite as cut and dry as say, a DKs outside of their CDs. I find them to have a higher ceiling than Ret (Unless you're REALLY good with macros) and especially Dks. Plus, while they've had some bad seasons, they tend to find a useful niche pretty consistently. Plus if you ask me, they're just fun to play. Other melee are okay but don't feel as rewarding if you ask me, even if they are heavier hitters. And I'd suggest avoiding enhance. shamans have the opposite history of what you're looking for.

If you want a high skill ceiling don't play Warrior/DK. I'd suggest Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    If you want a high skill ceiling don't play Warrior/DK. I'd suggest Rogue.
    Nice joke 1/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    Nice joke 1/10
    I agree rogues have a high ceiling. Yea 8s kidney doesn't require much thought, but there are lots of other things that do. Since MoP I rarely see good rogues unless they're glad/r1 ones. Good rogues are awesome.

If you consider fun being a kiteable piece of metal unless you have a healer, go warrior.

If you want to be able to do stuff regardless of healer, anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    Nice joke 1/10
    I would agree with bombino. Rogues actually have a decently high ceiling (esp. compared to dk/ret/feral). They have a very low skill floor (easy to do well with), but you can visibly differentiate between better/worse rogues. Honestly, if not for the 8 second kidney, they would be pretty solid right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Regar
    If you consider fun being a kiteable piece of metal unless you have a healer, go warrior.
    This. Warriors have always been one of the funnest classes (charge/heroic leap), but you'll get an ulcer playing one unless you have freedoms. They have the worst mobility out of all melee ever since the safeguard nerf, and they don't have a spammable slow and only 1 stun. You may want to give another class a shot unless you want to be an underdog. (I'm referring to arms, not prot)

Sorry to get back to this thread late - thanks for the replies guys. I currently have a 92 rogue in my arsenal and I think that's what I've decided on based on what you've all said.

Thanks for the constructive replies!

10+ Year Old Account
    Melee usually stick in one giant zerg nest anyways where warriors shine the most in. Just stay with your melee zerg and you'll kill everyone.

If you prefer solo PvP I'd definitely go WW monk however. No joke I'd say WW monks are on of the best solo melee PvPers atm seeing as their mobility shines in open world. You could also try a ret paladin, which can do a ton in BGs since you can support and deal damage while kiting.

I wouldn't suggest feral. Atm I'm gearing up my feral in BGs and it's really boring. The only time you'll shine is during your opener, which can do a ton of damage. After that you're basically just trying to survive/replenishing your energy.

If you don't mind having to practice a fair bit then yeah a rogue can be absolutely amazing. Just know that most of the time you'll die without a trinket up just like feral. However you'll have a much easier time to escape as a rogue after stuns with vanish and cloak.

Edit: Damn, a minute too late. Rogue's a nice choice. They're fun and can do a lot in a group environment. Just watch out for those melee nests out there. They hurt :/

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Melee usually stick in one giant zerg nest anyways where warriors shine the most in. Just stay with your melee zerg and you'll kill everyone.

If you prefer solo PvP I'd definitely go WW monk however. No joke I'd say WW monks are on of the best solo melee PvPers atm seeing as their mobility shines in open world. You could also try a ret paladin, which can do a ton in BGs since you can support and deal damage while kiting.

I wouldn't suggest feral. Atm I'm gearing up my feral in BGs and it's really boring. The only time you'll shine is during your opener, which can do a ton of damage. After that you're basically just trying to survive/replenishing your energy.

If you don't mind having to practice a fair bit then yeah a rogue can be absolutely amazing. Just know that most of the time you'll die without a trinket up just like feral. However you'll have a much easier time to escape as a rogue after stuns with vanish and cloak.

Edit: Damn, a minute too late. Rogue's a nice choice. They're fun and can do a lot in a group environment. Just watch out for those melee nests out there. They hurt :/

Thanks for the post! I have a monk as well that I absolutely loved at the end of mists. I'll keep what you said in mind!

10+ Year Old Account
    it really depends what your goals are. if you want to 3s, there are very few ww's high up, the karma nerf is humongous. it's doable but there are definitely easier starter classes.

Would play dk, they are always good and seem to always have great dps

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO - warr and monk, both fun.. Both slightly more forgiving than rogue and more fun toys than DKs..(I haven't played either of these since mop so maybe don't take that advice verbatim.. lol)

I would absolutely vote for feral druid.

Decent self-healing, stealth, and the highest burst potential in the game. Feral is also one of the better dueling specs in the game at the moment if you are into that. If you enjoy using the tools in your kit to stay alive, feral has more of these than almost any class in the game currently.

WW has the most tools for pvp 1v1 however you will hate ret pallies because it's the only counter WW has
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Oh and this thread will be about whatever I please. Don't make me turn this bitch into a Spiderman thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    If you prefer solo PvP I'd definitely go WW monk however. No joke I'd say WW monks are on of the best solo melee PvPers atm seeing as their mobility shines in open world.
    Good joke, mon, but ww monks suck balls at pvp. They're in the shitter with enh shamans and arms/fury warriors, for 1v1.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say Feral - stealth and high mobility lets you pick engagements, and disengage when it suits you - rets / dks / warriors don't have those luxuries the way rogues / kitties / monks do. Feral is also the tankiest of the mobile melee, which makes them more forgiving and safe, and yet they have the capability to murder-scratch, control, and support - and that makes them fun (in which you enact your will upon the battle).

If not Feral, I think I would be WW - played it last season in MoP and enjoyed it, and now they are stronger / more fluid than they were then
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

DKs are safe in terms of buffs/nerfs. They're always viable. Low skill ceiling since all you really do is mongo your target, throw your CC, and use your CC breakers accordingly.

Ret has never been as good as it has this season. They're likely to eat a nerf next season. They're fun if you like playing a very support heavy class. You focus more on keeping your teammates alive and when you have cooldowns up you just damage and kill.

Feral has absurd damage but they can die easily if tunneled. They're good in some seasons and shit in others. Very good 1v1 class and a moderate amount of skill is required to play them.

Warrior is garbage. They're not fun to play at all since you're tied to a healer to stay alive. Their skill ceiling has dropped dramatically since Wrath.

Monks are fun for most aspects of pvp except 3v3. If you're a really good monk you can still make high ratings but you're easily replaced with a Feral or Rogue; most of the game you spend running around trying not to die until you get your 10 stack and you Sweep>FoF and pray for RNG to get the kill. They have a relatively high skill ceiling; knowing when to port or Hurricane Strike separates the boys from the men.

Rogue tends to be a safe class for PvP. Right now they're boring as fuck with little skill to it because of combat spec. Sub is a lot more fun and requires much higher skill to play them in 3v3. For 1v1 however Rogues tend to follow a formula to win rather than reacting to your opponent. You control the fight from the get go by CCing your opponent and never letting them hit you while you chip away at them. If you find that fun, more power to you.

Enhance shamans is a sad pvp spec.