Water Elementals water jet and freeze

Is there a way to bind these so you can trigger them seperately? Whenever i cast freeze it also puts water jet on cooldown. relatively new to mages so any help would be great.

It's intentional that you choose between one or the other depending on situation
    bind them to different keys, use Freeze when you can get Shatter Ice Novas out of it and Water Jet when you are fighting one big guy

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    use Freeze when you can get Shatter Ice Novas out of it
    I'm such a scrub; never even thought of that for some reason XD

It just seems unfeasible to me to use Freeze for Shatter in a raid setting for some reason Thanks, Nick!
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm such a scrub; never even thought of that for some reason XD

It just seems unfeasible to me to use Freeze for Shatter in a raid setting for some reason Thanks, Nick!
    Wow tbh i never thought of this haha. Well now that asks the question, what would have better dps... Scenario is a single target freezable add... What would be better... pet freeze icy nova shatter and ice lance - OR - Water Jet 2 icelances

If he lives long enough I'd go with Jets and get 2 fingers of frost instead of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Reaper909 View Post
    Wow tbh i never thought of this haha. Well now that asks the question, what would have better dps... Scenario is a single target freezable add... What would be better... pet freeze icy nova shatter and ice lance - OR - Water Jet 2 icelances
    Ice Nova hits for 400% spell power on the main target, so doubling that with Shatter seems like a big win. You're basically trading in your 320% sp FoF Ice lance and a regular Ice Nova for an 800% sp Ice Nova and a GCD for part of another frostbolt.

What I've been doing is casting freeze right before frostbolt ends, and queuing up Ice Nova, so the nova hits while the FB is still in the air. I believe that both spells get to shatter because the frostbolt's damage is calculated when the spell leaves your hand, then the Ice Nova hits the still frozen target, then the FB lands. I've seen both spells crit most of the time but this could be a coincidence. I play with a lot of latency so I can't ever be sure my timing is right.

Ah yeh i will have to try that and see the DPS change. What im not sure about in regards to the pet freeze... does icicles break the freeze? And cant other raid members break the pet freeze? So if other people are focusing an add down (assuming you can pet freeze the add) it would be almost impossible to pet freeze and shatter 2 spells correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Reaper909 View Post
    Ah yeh i will have to try that and see the DPS change. What im not sure about in regards to the pet freeze... does icicles break the freeze? And cant other raid members break the pet freeze? So if other people are focusing an add down (assuming you can pet freeze the add) it would be almost impossible to pet freeze and shatter 2 spells correct?
    Just about anything breaks the freeze, like you pet autoattacking or an icicle.

Yes, it's definitely harder in groups, but it was a lot of fun for leveling. I just aim to get the shatter on the Ice Nova in groups.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm partial to Water Jet, because if done right, you can get 3 Fingers of Frost procs out of it. If you time your water jet right when you're about to launch your frostbolt, you'll generate your first FoF. Cast another Frostbolt for second FoF, then a third frostbolt and dump an ice lance to free up a spot for a third FoF. I'm able to accomplish this with a 1.9 sec cast time on frostbolt (with a 1.3 from Imp. FB). If you get a brain freeze proc, I'd go FB -> WJ as it's about to release -> FB, FB, IL before 3rd FB hits, FFB -> IL -> IL.

Takes a bit of practice on the timing, but it sets up a nice round of burst if you can get it down.

Im not sure how you could get 3 frostbolts out within waterjet at 1.9 seconds? Waterbolt lasts 4 seconds so even if frostbolt as soon as water jet hits in total you would have 3.8 Seconds just from casting and that would only require 0.2 seconds of travel time which unless standin right underneath the boss i dont see possible? I could be wrong, could be latency issues but i can never get 3 out

But yeah i understand the "precast" frostbolt for the first stack, and the 2nd frostbolt would put you at roughly 1.9 seconds NOT including travel time but yeh i cant see the 3rd one hitting in time. Unless your counting on the WoD perk of Frostbolt? Because i can only get 3 out when Shards of Nothing is up.

Ah yes sorry didnt see the empowered Frostbolt there haha :P