Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Did people really think your Draenor garrison would carry over? It makes sense that anything you do in your garrison is likely to be obsolete next expansion. It would make no sense for your main hub to be in Draenor anyway once we've moved to a different continent. They didn't say the entire concept of garrisons would be scrapped, they said that they would use the garrison technology to continue, just like farms -> garrisons -> something more advanced.

If your existing garrison progress carried over, then anyone starting a new character would be a full year behind catching up with their garrison and that is just not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Word View Post
    What? They just implemented this feature on the live realms and they already decided it's absolete?! Based on what, exactly?!
    Based on the fact that it's on Draenor, for example.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

As other said, the garrison itself wont be in the next xpack but the technology behind it will be and will even be improved.

Here's how I like to think how we got to the garrison :
    First phasing "test" during lich king and big scale use of phasing during cata
    Cross realm zoning in MoP beta (started there i believe?)

With that tech, they made sure to be able to get multiple instanced place at the same ime while being able to zone in and out easy

The first test of a garrison like was the farm field we all had in MoP with our nice 16 spots to grow what ever we wanted.
    With WoD they took that farm to the next level by including the crz tech and making it much bigger and customizable (kinda)

So from that (yeah i know, it's not detailed, it's a long strech, but who cares! let me dream ), in the next expac i wouldnt be suprised to see a much deeper player housing system for guilds where all members of X rank could change stuff in there instead of having only one person in charge of everything like we have in garrison right now.

Where guild members could help by providing mats to build stuff (like the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj (oh! there we have the test they did in vanilla, only need to find what they tested in BC xD) quests to gather mats) and doing invasion of other guilds HQ to get phat loots if they win and you know... just getting back the MMO element in wow since someone from blizzard said not long ago that they kinda lost that aspect with the start of wod (details details).

Where followers would be replaced by... guild members! but still having to complete specific 1 time quest (with new ones every days like now) with the right requirement to get bonus stuff for the guild HQ.

See? start small, go bigger and bigger! (thats what she like!)
    Last edited by Knaar; 2014-12-23 at 10:23 AM.

If we get something better, great! If not, I'll be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They never said they don't want garrisons in the next expac. Only that our current garrison will not carry over. Not the same thing at all.
    Yeah, this is what I've read, I don't think that they want to get rid of the concept entirely, and if they do they haven't made that public.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    Not sure how many of you saw that statement posted by blizz bout not wanting garrisons in the next expac....but after i heard it i kinda stopped caring about the garrisons.
    Why? Is the next xpac out already?

It doesn't make sense. Why do you even do dungeons or raids, collect gear, down bosses etc.? You know that none of that will "matter" once the next expansion goes live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I'm sad about is my followers won't come with me. Especially my body guard.

Deleted
    well, maybe we will be commanding whole cities in the next expansion! Just imagine if we would get to command Kul Tiras

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    Guild garrisons. Make it happen. The individual garrisons can be a little boring after a while, but a guild garrison would be really neat.

Then you could have guild VS guild battles in garrisons. City of Heroes did this with their supergroup bases.
    While I don't think there will be guild garrisons as such, it would be cool if they expanded crz tech to be able to allow a guild-type building inside your garrison (and other guildies garrisons) whereby guild mates can see each other if they are inside that said guild building.

Deleted
    Not sure how many of you saw that statement posted by blizz bout not wanting garrisons in the next expac...
    thats fair enough, I dont want them in this one.

Deleted
    Who the heck is going to want to go all the way back to their Garrison on Draenor while we're questing through a completely different world/continent in the next expansion?
    Last edited by mmoc2462c4a12d; 2014-12-23 at 10:46 AM.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    They will evolve the feature. Just as how Phasing lead to MoP farm which lead to Garrisons. In the next expansion we will get something evolved based on this feature. Don't run around and yell "We are doomed" when that is not happening. Plus theres still atleast a year+ for WoD, calm your tits.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

In sincerely hope that the next step is an account-wide improved player housing :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masyws View Post
    In sincerely hope that the next step is an account-wide improved player housing :P
    And i hope player housing never gets into the game... garrisons are much better, add guild garrisons and raids on your guild garrisons (bosses raid you and you defend as a guild with waves of trash and bosses) and its perfect! Might even be different attack with different bosses each week, like a bonus to normal raids! Plenty of things they can do with garrison concept... player housing is just... for show, thus horrible

afterall, garrisons are best feature ever added to wow... without it i probably wouldnt even buy wod... a silly "remake" of worst wow exp (tbc) with horrible and laughable story to make it even worse
    Last edited by mmoc93208f15ee; 2014-12-23 at 12:16 PM.

Not sure how many of you saw that statement posted by blizz bout not wanting garrisons in the next expac....but after i heard it i kinda stopped caring about the garrisons.

Now im only using the garrison to level mining/engineering on of my characters and spamming follower missions getting them all to epic level 100 high ilvl(because its addicting) on my character that got the most lucky with follower proc's.

Im indifferent about the whole thing now...at first I was annoyed but then ive come to realize there isnt much to do with a garrison once youve completed the majority of tasks...not much longevity in them (at least enjoyable longevity)
    To be honest, I don't want garrisons either and wished they were removed or changed dramatically from the chore they are before Blizzard's statement.

But, yes, you are right, it makes even less sense to care about garrisons now. I mean, they will probably add something in 6.1 and 6.2 (I heard of a legendary follower as part of the legendary quest), but I think that won't be much, and after that, garrisons will go the way of the farm.

I'd say good riddance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That's not how I read it. I read that they don't plan on having the work you do in this garrison carry over or matter for whatever they do in the next expansion, and that makes perfect sense to me, because it would make those who join the game next xpac highly handicapped in comparison.

As for the system and concepts that it generated, there's no reason Blizzard won't utilize them.
    One possible reason would be that garrisons weren't too successful. Which I think they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    The way I see it, Garrisons were an experiment with the technology. To see what can be done for the future. So no, garrison's might not be back, but I think their legacy will continue on in some type of form, whether it's player housing or something else.

I agree im thinking maybe along the line of guild castles.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    One possible reason would be that garrisons weren't too successful. Which I think they weren't.
    Got nothing to do with that at all and it's not a mystery either, Chilton explained it himself.

Instead of a Garrison we'll build a capital next expansion, you get a promotion to faction leader (with your own army) and are forced to go on the scheduled meetings with the other Horde or Alliance leaders.

The expansion will be one where Azeroth is destroyed by burning legion and we reclaim it (the heroes are gone, stuck in Draenor. Perfect opportunity for the legion), we are the ones to rebuild the world and drive the legion away. We send our capital/garrison armies to the different continents like a strategic game. (Move your forces from one zone to the other to counter threats, while you, the leader take on difficult matters in the most dangerous zones.
    Instead of grinding faction rep you have to manage your own rep, how the people in your own faction regard you. A fierce leader or a pup not worth following, a grind that goes with you the whole expansion.

Called it first.
    Last edited by Talzz; 2014-12-23 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Got nothing to do with that at all and it's not a mystery either, Chilton explained it himself.
    Chilton's explanation was generic blabber.

Deleted
    All the gear you gain in this xpac will not carry over to be useful in the next.
    All the mats and recepies and crafting skills you gain in this xpac will not carry over to be useful in the next.
    All the rep you gain in this xpac will not carry over to be useful in the next.
    All the skills and knowledge about dungeon and raid bosses you gain in this xpac will not carry over to be useful in the next.
    etc

Every new xpac is a reset. If you still cling to the notion that what you do in game today is supposed to be valuable forever, you have fundamentally misunderstood the principles of gaming.

Enjoy today what is provided today. That's the general idea.