Thread: PSU replacement

Deleted

PSU replacement

Hi!

I recently built a new rig and the PC runs just fine.
    Sadly I feel the PSU a little on the loud side so I thought of replacing it.

My current PSU is an Antec HCG-750M. I never had issues with Antec so this came completely surprising.
    Luckily I ordered through Amazon and am able to return the PSU until January 31st for a full refund.

I thought of replacing the Antec PSU with a Corsair RM750. It is also modular and also semi-passive. Does anyone of you have experience with the RM line of Corsair PSUs and might be able to comment on my decision?

Thanks!

Rest of my rig:
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB @ 1866MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800
    SSD: Crucial MX 100 512GB
    HDD: WD Black 3TB

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting a SeaSonic X-650 soon. Should arrive today, hopefully. It's also has a semi-passive / active switch. I'll reply back once I get it and installed it. Noise during no load and gaming. Chances are though it won't even go out of the passive state at normal load going off by jonnyguru's review.

I have the RM750 - My Build and love it. Lots of cable options but they are a bit stiff. Very quiet, the fan doesn't run unless it's needed. It's also a great modular supply for the cost.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm getting a SeaSonic X-650 soon. Should arrive today, hopefully. It's also has a semi-passive / active switch. I'll reply back once I get it and installed it. Noise during no load and gaming. Chances are though it won't even go out of the passive state at normal load going off by jonnyguru's review.
    I was actually just about to link that. I heard it's damn quite as well. I don't have that particular PSU but a higher end Seasonic PSU with the same feature (as well as fan) and don't believe the fan has ever kicked on. If it has I sure as hell didn't hear it >.<.

Honestly one of the few ways your going to get any quieter is the fanless Seasonic PSU, but it's 520W and I believe OP had a higher wattage for SLI so it wouldn't work. Here's the link anyways.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151122
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-22 at 06:56 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Honestly one of the few ways your going to get any quieter is the fanless Seasonic PSU, but it's 520W and I believe OP had a higher wattage for SLI so it wouldn't work. Here's the link anyways.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151122
    yep, i'm planning on SLi-ing in the near future, that's why i chose a beefier psu. and to be honest: i wouldn't - just to be on the safe side - not go under 700W

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with this if you plan on SLIing.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087

Corsair RM fans tend to run at 40%+ loads from the looks of it. The SeaSonic one runs at 80%+.
    This is only going off two RM the 650 and 850 review on jonny guru and the SeaSonic on the 650 one.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-12-22 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    I'd go with this if you plan on SLIing.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087

Corsair RM fans tend to run at 40%+ loads from the looks of it. The SeaSonic one runs at 80%+.
    This is only going off two RM the 650 and 850 review on jonny guru and the SeaSonic on the 650 one.
    looks decent. is within price range, and is in stock ^^ thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    Hi!

I recently built a new rig and the PC runs just fine.
    Sadly I feel the PSU a little on the loud side so I thought of replacing it.

My current PSU is an Antec HCG-750M. I never had issues with Antec so this came completely surprising.
    Luckily I ordered through Amazon and am able to return the PSU until January 31st for a full refund.

I thought of replacing the Antec PSU with a Corsair RM750. It is also modular and also semi-passive. Does anyone of you have experience with the RM line of Corsair PSUs and might be able to comment on my decision?

Thanks!

Rest of my rig:
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB @ 1866MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800
    SSD: Crucial MX 100 512GB
    HDD: WD Black 3TB
    Seems ok design manufactured by Chicony if you want Ltec caps. I'd take a pass on this unit though. Ltec caps (insert cheap) aren't really known for reliability. If you do get it then I wish you luck with it.

Edit: If you want the best around the same price point then you could go with this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA.../dp/B00IKDETOW

The price is lower on newegg. Amazon won't match the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438017
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-12-22 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    looks decent. is within price range, and is in stock ^^ thanks for the recommendation
    Just got the X-650, and it is... fan isn't moving.
    My rig is quiet and it scares me slightly.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just got the X-650, and it is... fan isn't moving.
    My rig is quiet and it scares me slightly.
    LOL before I swapped cases and grabbed this annoying H100i I felt the same way with my Seasonic PSU. Granted if I placed a louder PSU in my case I would probably notice. In addition to the GPUs It made me feel like my PC wasn't running properly for a while as those don't get very loud either until full load and by then I've got either headphones on or speakers going so I'm not 100% how loud they actually get.

It's probably why I gave the Corsair HX series so much shit about being so loud. I've been spoiled. But hell even my Silent Pro Cooler Master CPU was much quieter than those (still no Seasonic). My biggest grief with the Cooler Master was the PCI-e cabling and the ugly sleeving on all of it.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-22 at 10:51 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    I hope that was a joke. Either way, avoid recommending sub par products joke or not. That person may not see it as that and end up buying it.

Not a bad PSU, It's still no where near as silent as the Seasonic PSUs with Hybrid mode and the silent fans.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-23 at 03:31 PM.

Deleted
    I hope that was a joke. Either way, avoid recommending shit products joke or not. That person may not see it as that and end up buying it.

damn good value though. A steal at the current price!
    yeah - it's my auction - dont buy it OP!

i await my infraction :*(

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    damn good value though. A steal at the current price!
    yeah - it's my auction - dont buy it OP!

i await my infraction :*(
    Yea but value shouldn't justify quality when it comes to something so important. And the OP also asked for quiet. Something tells me the one you linked isn't very quiet (at least not any more quiet than his current one).

Deleted
    Yea but value shouldn't justify quality when it comes to something so important. And the OP also asked for quiet. Something tells me the one you linked isn't very quiet (at least not any more quiet than his current one).
    / shrug. i never had any problems with it, but replaced it when i upgraded the other week.

As i said - just a fail joke as i'm selling a PSU on ebay currently

Deleted
    / shrug. i never had any problems with it, but replaced it when i upgraded the other week.

As i said - just a fail joke as i'm selling a PSU on ebay currently
    don't let yourself be beaten up ^^ i found your "joke" kinda amusing