Healing Raid Composition

Looking for some sound advice. Currently I am the raid/recruitment leader for my guild. We are looking to get into Mythic very soon, but need to fill the last spots. My question is regarding Raid healing compositions for Mythic.

First, as a Leader I am not a prisoner of the moment and fall to Flavor of the month. In other words I don't battle blizzard for who is OP and who is UP at the moment. Classes go from OP to UP back and forth all the time. I am not trying to stack certain classes because their damage is ridiculous right now, or leave classes out for the exact opposite reasons, etc etc. I believe in building a well rounded group, patches will come, changes will be made.

With that being said I am looking for some tips on Raid healing composition, Currently we Have
    1 Disc
    1 Resto
    1 Hpally

I am looking to get 5 full time healers. I guess Ideally you would fill It out with MW and Rest Sham. However I am not sure about that. I know 100% I want a Resto shaman. So the questions would be: is there a benefit to having 2 Hpallies over to 2 Resto druids? which of these classes don't overlap in abilities with 2 of them? is there a specific comp that seems to be best? Which would you recommend not have 2 of and why?

Any useful information is good. Don't worry about the rest of the comp in terms of how many cloth, leather are in the group cause 5,5,5,5 is ideal but no my highest priority. thanks
    Last edited by prejonnes; 2014-12-22 at 10:07 PM.

Holy Priest and Disc Priest complete one another.

Deleted
    Personally I've gone for...

2x Hpal
    2x priests (holy/disc as needed)
    1x Druid
    1x shaman

6 should suffice to cover absences/holidays/illness/PC explosions.
    Didn't get a monk simply because we had those specs available but we haven't really been missing anything a monk brings yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smushums View Post
    Personally I've gone for...

2x Hpal
    2x priests (holy/disc as needed)
    1x Druid
    1x shaman

6 should suffice to cover absences/holidays/illness/PC explosions.
    Didn't get a monk simply because we had those specs available but we haven't really been missing anything a monk brings yet.
    I like this list. Personally I'd throw in a monk instead of the second H pal. Revival alone makes monks very nice.

monks are just painful to play and don't scale quite as well with gear until foundry comes out with better gear, but they're going to be really solid in a few months from now (painful as in you kill a boss and you don't want to pick things up because the actual increase is small and better on others)

highmaul leather just has too much mastery and a massive lack of multi for them
    Last edited by ryklin; 2014-12-23 at 07:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    monks are just painful to play and don't scale quite as well with gear until foundry comes out with better gear, but they're going to be really solid in a few months from now (painful as in you kill a boss and you don't want to pick things up because the actual increase is small and better on others)

highmaul leather just has too much mastery and a massive lack of multi for them
    Why are they painful to play?

1x Holy Pally (tank / spike-damage target)
    1x Disc Priest (tank / spike-damage target / bubble spam)
    3x Raid healers (esp. druids & mistweavers)

Sit one and/or get them to DPS as appropriate. Helpful to have a shadow or boomkin who can offheal too.

If you use a holy priest it's convenient if they also have a disc spec, so you can potentially have a second tank healer + bubble spam simultaneously. Bubble spam seems to be rocking the world again in a bunch of situations.

I'm not particularly impressed by how shaman are going at the moment. A good healer is a good healer & if your shaman is excellent then they'll still be an easy pick... but imo they seem like they're back in the niche-healer-without-niche-fights situation atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why are they painful to play?
    it says it there, it's just really dumb to kill stuff and know that all the mastery leather in highmaul actually provide much smaller upgrades than gear with alternative secondary stats, many mythic mistweavers are just sitting in 665 BoEs with preferable secondaries and letting small gear upgrades go to dps and resto droods until foundry comes (fortunately mine is my alt), it just feels kind of disappointing to sit there with your bonus roll and not really want to use it, even if it's just heroic boss with a pug

gameplay is still as fine as ever, even after losing healing sphere for spot healing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    it says it there, it's just really dumb to kill stuff and know that all the mastery leather in highmaul actually provide much smaller upgrades than gear with alternative secondary stats, many mythic mistweavers are just sitting in 665 BoEs with preferable secondaries and letting small gear upgrades go to dps and resto droods until foundry comes (fortunately mine is my alt), it just feels kind of disappointing to sit there with your bonus roll and not really want to use it, even if it's just heroic boss with a pug

gameplay is still as fine as ever, even after losing healing sphere for spot healing
    I completely agree that it feels very unrewarding to play as a MW currently in Highmaul.
    However, I definitely feel rewarded in knowing that even in suboptimal gear we're able to be one of the stronger healers.

Come BRF I reckon we'll be amazing and that gives me hope to push through Highmaul.

Deleted
    We are running:
    2x Holy Pally
    2x Priest (1x Holy, 1x Disc)
    2x Druid
    1x Shaman

Doing pretty fine with that

Deleted
    I think that as long as you have a decent mix of absorb and throughput healers you should be fine. We run with 1 disc, 1 hpala, 1 monk, 1 druid, 2 shammy as mainspec healers, but the disc and one of the shammys have decent dps off-specs, the monk has a disc/holy priest alt, and we've got spare disc and hpala off-specs from our dps. The only spec you don't want two of in the same raid is disc.

I am rolling a healer for my guild, they are in a situation where they have 0 MW monks or shaman healers (they do have ele shaman) and only disc, hpal, and druid healers. So I was thinking of rolling a MW but now I am thinking Hpriest might be better. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Holy Priest and Disc Priest complete one another.
    +1 to this.
    While the disco bubbles the whole raid holy is a ouput monster on its own.

In our guild, we have Holy priest, Holy pala, Disc priest, Resto druid and Mistweaver monk. Our offspec healers are shaman which is enha and disc priest who is playing as shadow. This setup has been working great. Holy paladin in this setup needs to be good.

I have been healing since TBC with 2 classes, as resto shaman from TBC -> 5.2 patch in MoP after that I healed as Mistweaver monk for one patch and changed back to shaman after ToT was over. When expansion was geting closer and guild had possible 3 shaman healers going to WoD. I decided to level my monk first and start healing with him.

Mistweavers are great healers. Most of guilds without mistweaver healer, didnt decide that they dont want mistweaver. Mistweaver monks are hardest class to recruit. I also think that mistweaver is one of the hardest classes to heal atm. Its so different from other healers. Mana regen of mistweaver monk is amazing when you use it right and know what you are doing.

About the shamans, I think they arent at best spot but are viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morihei View Post
    I am rolling a healer for my guild, they are in a situation where they have 0 MW monks or shaman healers (they do have ele shaman) and only disc, hpal, and druid healers. So I was thinking of rolling a MW but now I am thinking Hpriest might be better. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    It's really hard to just say what class you should roll as it entirely depends on the raid itself and how you deal with bosses.
    Both a shaman, MW and a holy priest would be able to give your raid things that can be useful.

If you rely a lot on raid cooldowns to ensure your raid gets through the hard damage, a great choice would be shamans.
    If you lack the pure output, a MW or a Holy priest might be the way to go.

I'd say, being a bit biased, getting a MW monk is probably the best idea since, as Ruthemann stated, they are the hardest to recruit at the moment.
    They are, however, also the hardest to play and would require quite a bit of dedication from your side to catch up.

Sure, mistweavers are rare and have decent throughput. But holy priest is where its at, they have every tool for every situation, they are mana -> healing catalytic machines, no one dies when a holy priest has mana! Starting from lightwell to twist of fate, they simply go full power in time of need. its like being a resto shaman without all the bad, no more will you contemplate why your raid can dodge puddles better than fire. With an awesome passive damage reduction thanks to our pvp side and a heal that makes your mouth water when you yourself take damage. There is something really satisfying about healing on a holy priest.

so go sit in the corner and drink all the tea you want, go spam your uplift and heal people while you heal (the same) people, we thank you for your tank healing contributions as much as we do the ret pally, ill call out on voip if i need your revival.

thought it would be useful for the op to get an idea of the stereotypes of some of his options (may be slightly biased)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by worcester View Post
    Sure, mistweavers are rare and have decent throughput. But holy priest is where its at, they have every tool for every situation, they are mana -> healing catalytic machines, no one dies when a holy priest has mana! Starting from lightwell to twist of fate, they simply go full power in time of need. its like being a resto shaman without all the bad, no more will you contemplate why your raid can dodge puddles better than fire. With an awesome passive damage reduction thanks to our pvp side and a heal that makes your mouth water when you yourself take damage. There is something really satisfying about healing on a holy priest.

so go sit in the corner and drink all the tea you want, go spam your uplift and heal people while you heal (the same) people, we thank you for your tank healing contributions as much as we do the ret pally, ill call out on voip if i need your revival.

thought it would be useful for the op to get an idea of the stereotypes of some of his options (may be slightly biased)
    Well, you might be right with the above statement, but when does a holy priest actually have mana? The first 2 minutes of a fight?

Much better to get a much needed, instant, raid topping cooldown rather than holy priests and their Divine Hymn with a ramp up time longer than the encounter itself.
    Holy priests are good, sure, but let's be real, they're nothing more than filler bots that will have no real impact when shit goes down because they're already oom from trying to keep renew on the entire raid.

Just in case it wasn't clear, heavy sarcasm might have been used in the above statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ququ View Post
    Well, you might be right with the above statement, but when does a holy priest actually have mana? The first 2 minutes of a fight?
    this is the sad part
    funny enough, the druids says they has it worse...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by worcester View Post
    this is the sad part
    funny enough, the druids says they has it worse...
    The resto druid I play with doesn't seem to have that many problems, with Hourglass and Everburning candle, it seems that it's quite manageable.