Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Trash drops has a purpose, but they certainly have an abuse as well.

It cannot possibly be good design that players can bypass the weekly loot limits by farming trash for BoEs.

Is Blizzard going to do anything about it? No. Because these runs funnel gear into the AH and allow players unable to get into a group to still grind gold to buy gear and feel they progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aziras View Post
    It cannot possibly be good design that players can bypass the weekly loot limits by farming trash for BoEs.
    I don't think it's bad design.

I mean, you're bypassing the loot lockout for just two slots. Two slots is not a huge deal. Once you have those slots filled, trash farming is completely wasted time. And even without those slots filled, it kinda is still wasted time; it's probably way less efficient than actually killing bosses. If players put the time spent grinding trash to get those two specific drops into working on bosses, they'd probably have twice the amount of loot through a far less tedious process. They're doing shit the slow and inefficient way - why do we have a problem with that? I'd hardly call that advantageous. Finally, it's something anyone can do, so it is not like it is granting an unfair advantage. If we're so concerned about some guy "bypassing the loot lockout" to get his cloak week 1 instead of waiting on future randomness, we're free to do the same thing if we feel that is a worthy investment of our time.

Grinding trash is not for me, but I don't see what the big deal is if people do it*. If someone wants to spend ten hours doing mind numbingly boring trash grinds just on the off chance they get an upgrade or too, well... um, go for it. It's your time. I can't really see calling it "bad design" since that seems to imply it has some kind of serious negative impact. I'd argue it doesn't really have much impact (either positive or negative) at all since two slots of gear is peanuts.

* It's not a big deal if people do it legitimately. Obviously if people are running a scam, that is a problem, but of another nature, not one of bad design.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I personally get tired of sifting through 60 trash farm groups looking for pugs to find the raids for bosses that I am looking for. In SoO they use to never advertise trash groups and every group in the pug finder was for a specific boss, now it's 60% trash ads.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Word View Post
    Always funny to notice that the raid leader is the only class/spec of that type in the raid, meanwhile he invited 4 hunters. FUCK YOU!
    I joined one the other night, Main Spec > Off Spec.
    Raid Lead + a guild mate of his.
    Only 2 Plate Wearers in the 20 man group.
    I chuckled, I didn't really care though, I wasn't going to hassle myself with making another group anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

I don't get MMO-C. The other thread there was a HUGE preach about how its an injustice for a tank to not do Croman/Jenkins, or try for 5 man achievements.

Now when its 2-3 people continuously scamming 20-22 different newbies over and over, well tough luck they can deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I joined one the other night, Main Spec > Off Spec.
    Raid Lead + a guild mate of his.
    Only 2 Plate Wearers in the 20 man group.
    I chuckled, I didn't really care though, I wasn't going to hassle myself with making another group anyways.
    I don't see the issue with this at all, so the raid leader is actually intelligent and stacked the group in his favour? Good for him.

In Wrath I ran a premade group for OS so I could get Illustration of Dragon Soul 8 weeks in a row. When I didn't stack the group, I individually messaged every caster that joined and told them I would be taking the trinket and they could leave/stay as they wished.

It took 8 weeks but when that trinket dropped it was mine. This is common sense, not a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazzar View Post
    I don't get MMO-C. The other thread there was a HUGE preach about how its an injustice for a tank to not do Croman/Jenkins, or try for 5 man achievements.

Now when its 2-3 people continuously scamming 20-22 different newbies over and over, well tough luck they can deal with it.
    I am not sure if you are either stupid, trolling or just new. Looking at your join date homever clarifies the question for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if people want to farm trash thats their business, why do you care so much? Please elaborate how it breaks the game or reduces your level of enjoyment
    Seconded. Would like an answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchmageAllayne View Post
    LFM ICC trash farm wodin's lucky necklace is reserved . always hoped that i won't see such thing in chat again ...
    LFM BoT Trash Farm, first Chelley Staff reserved, and two soul blades reserved rest open, going as many time as we can

Icc had nothing on fucking BoT groups, but as people say, it'll die down soon enough

Trash farming was here since the beginning of WoW. It was part of the fun.

Only issue I can see here, is that in-game Raid Finder might have bad filtering options.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    I don't see the issue with this at all, so the raid leader is actually intelligent and stacked the group in his favour? Good for him.
    In Wrath I ran a premade group for OS so I could get Illustration of Dragon Soul 8 weeks in a row. When I didn't stack the group, I individually messaged every caster that joined and told them I would be taking the trinket and they could leave/stay as they wished.
    It took 8 weeks but when that trinket dropped it was mine. This is common sense, not a conspiracy.
    I'm not exactly sure why you picked me to respond to with this, but I never said it was a conspiracy or anything wrong with it.
    I mean I've been lambasted on these forums for saying stacking is smart in the past (read DS LFR loot threads).
    Simply said, I ran into one that was stacking hard in their favor, but couldn't be arsed with making my own group so rolled with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

I never do these because I assume they're all scam runs when it says first drop reserved, but I don't think that's much of an issue. There's legitimate reasons to do these trash runs. The problem is that they do really clutter the group finder and it's pretty damned frustrating at times.
    Last edited by Haydukelives; 2014-12-24 at 01:08 AM. Reason: clarity

15+ Year Old Account
    I think threads like these should be locked if the OP never returns. If you have such a problem with the way someone manages a trash farming run then start your own group.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazzar View Post

As offtopic meta-MMOC discussion: People only read the subject, click to the last page and comment. Any page/comment between is ignored. That leads to very silly conclusions sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying to shut down Ebay because there are some people who find items for cheap on certain niche sites and then ebay them for double the price.

If people are dumb enough to fall for it, it's their own fault.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

15+ Year Old Account
    Imo, make raid bosses very difficult, give them like 5-10 phases, but let them drop quality according to how many % you get them to, so those more hungry will proceed to try and kill the boss while less hardcore will be content with those 50% and worse loot.
    And remove trash whatsoever. I see no point at all in having trash mobs in raid. It's just a frustrating waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Imo, make raid bosses very difficult, give them like 5-10 phases, but let them drop quality according to how many % you get them to, so those more hungry will proceed to try and kill the boss while less hardcore will be content with those 50% and worse loot.
    And remove trash whatsoever. I see no point at all in having trash mobs in raid. It's just a frustrating waste of time
    Blizzard already explained it during ToT, when many people thought a lot of trash was obsolete.

Trash is created for psychological (or call it, story) reasons, so that raiders feel like they are fighting vs an army, a considerable force, not a bunch of "bosses", who often fall in 1st attempt on lower difficulties. Everybody realized how important trash is during ToC - raid devoid of any lore value, therefore one of the most hated ones in WoW history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Blizzard already explained it during ToT, when many people thought a lot of trash was obsolete.

Trash is created for psychological (or call it, story) reasons, so that raiders feel like they are fighting vs an army, a considerable force, not a bunch of "bosses", who often fall in 1st attempt on lower difficulties. Everybody realized how important trash is during ToC - raid devoid of any lore value, therefore one of the most hated ones in WoW history.
    I seriously doubt it's trash that adds to lore value. For example Icecrown Citadel, why didn't we get to fight through hundreds of thousands of undead before we got to the Lich King?

I like it that we can farm trash. I have fond memories of ICC and Firelands trash farms, in the afternoons before raid time.

What I do not like about today's trash farm is that there's no reputation gain (it was a nice tiny consolation prize for those runs where nobody got anything worthwhile) and I do not like trash farm pugs cluttering up the raidfinder utility. If Blizzard just refined the raidfinder so that I could exclude trash farms when I'm looking for a pug, I would be much happier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    I like it that we can farm trash. I have fond memories of ICC and Firelands trash farms, in the afternoons before raid time.

What I do not like about today's trash farm is that there's no reputation gain (it was a nice tiny consolation prize for those runs where nobody got anything worthwhile) and I do not like trash farm pugs cluttering up the raidfinder utility. If Blizzard just refined the raidfinder so that I could exclude trash farms when I'm looking for a pug, I would be much happier.
    I don't have any problems with that, try using keywords in the group finder thing.