Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is WOD Music the best thus far?

I got to admit, I have my nostalgia moments with TBC and Wrath music and especially when its played as I quest during WoD content, but then you hear songs like this...

And then you wonder if your nostalgia memories are slowly dying .

I greatly appreciated the music of Mists but as far as production quality goes Warlords is a level above the previous expansions.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Only music I remember from WoD so far that I love honestly. Then again, all I remember from MoP is The Way of the Monk.

10+ Year Old Account

The momment I heard back in Beta, I knew it would become one my favorite soundtracks. They used a fucking electric guitar for this one, those riffs, that choir, I came. /lisen on repeat again

Also they seriously need to use this more

Last edited by Shampro; 2014-12-25 at 04:42 AM.

Personally I think it is the best music yet. Warcraft has a lot of good music though, was always a fan of westfall and howling fjord.

I like how music in wod changes within the zone depending on where you are, good example is the podling area in SMV where the music just becomes very eerie as you are surrounded by the never-before-seen podlings as one "helps" you find your missing caravan. Only to learn that they are trying to trap and eat you later. It's also different during hte defense of karabor and has a really epic feel to it.

My favorite track though is "Stormlords on the March" which is an alliance garrison song.

WoD certainly have good ones, but I see more problem with it.

Every single piece is grand, orchestral to the point that it is EVERYWHERE, making it really sick fast. They really need more ambient musics.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

I still play WC2 soundtrack music in the background.

Deleted
    For me, yes it is. Especially the Draenei Tracks even though I am a hardcore horde player. Auchindoun is by far the best Soundtrack ever made for WoW.

Even I got to admit the soundtrack in this expansion is pretty damn amazing. LOTS of choir/orchestrated tracks.

Ranges varied from the epic PVP/Ashran music, to the amazing Iron Horde war chants, to the soft beautiful Draenei themesongs found throughout Talador and around (particularly the harp-player in the Ashran Inn) and Auchindoun! Amazing! ^_^

But then again most of their soundtracks have only been steadily getting better. For even most of my hatred of Cataclysm, I can't really fault much on the music end at all.

I haven't played an MMO with sound on since 1998. I just find all the background noises and music to be distracting. The Garrosh quest in Nagrand was the first voluntary cutscene I watched ever also, just felt like it at the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post

Every single piece is grand, orchestral to the point that it is EVERYWHERE, making it really sick fast. They really need more ambient musics.
    I feel the same...
    Some of them are nice, but It's the same tone again and again and don't fit with the zone ambiant. It's like they try to make everything goddamn epic and don't stop a single moment It's make them boring..
    And because of that, most of time, I turn off the music.

An other reason this expansion makes me missed Pandaria...

Can you download this from anywhere? On iTunes for example there seem to not be all of the tracks, like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post

I was going to say the same thing. Thus, my favorite pieces from WoD are the softer flute parts of Everbloom. The garrison music drives me insane, so much pomp and circumstance when all I'm doing is picking flowers in my garden. :P The sooner we can change that the better.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

In my opinion, it's the worst so far.

Not because the music isn't good; because it is amazing... on it's own. The music doesn't fit what I'm doing in game, and the music in WoW hasn't done it's job since Wrath of the Lich King.

When I'm questing in a zone, the music should be almost unnoticeable. It should add to the atmosphere just enough for you to feel the ambiance of a zone, but not distract you. The music in this game has been far too distracting for 3 expansions now, and WoD is the worst offender.

Too many times while leveling, the music would completely take my mind off of what I was doing to the point where I had to actually turn it down. Apparently, Blizzard no longer thinks of WoW as a living universe, but as a Hollywood blockbuster movie meant to keep you on the edge of your seat.

There was a time when I would always have the in-game music playing. But as soon as I finished all the Draenor zones, I turned it off for good.
    Last edited by OneSent; 2014-12-28 at 04:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    In my opinion, it's the worst so far.

Not because the music isn't good; because it is amazing... on it's own. The music doesn't fit what I'm doing in game, and the music in WoW hasn't done it's job since Wrath of the Lich King.

When I'm questing in a zone, the music should be almost unnoticeable. It should add to the atmosphere just enough for you to feel the ambiance of a zone, but not distract you. The music in this game has been far too distracting for 3 expansions now, and WoD is the worst offender.

Too many times while leveling, the music would completely take my mind off of what I was doing to the point where I had to actually turn it down. Apparently, Blizzard no longer thinks of WoW as a living universe, but as a Hollywood blockbuster movie meant to keep you on the edge of your seat.

There was a time when I would always have the in-game music playing. But as soon as I finished all the Draenor zones, I turned it off for good.
    Agreed. I personally prefer the ambient tracks in the game. This trend of "epic" and theatrical music that started with Cataclysm is getting tiresome. Like OneSent said, the music in itself is fantastic and just absolutely breathtaking. However, in a video game, I find ambient tracks much more memorable.

This isn't to say that there isn't room for theatrical tracks in the game. They can be utilized well if used mostly in in-game cinematics, the moment you enter a boss room, etc. But if I'm just killing talbuks in Nagrand or chilling out in my garrison, I don't want my ears to be blasted with an entire symphony. Whenever I hearth to my garrison nowadays, the first thing I do is Ctrl+M because that music got old after the first 3 times (thank God we'll be getting a feature to customize the music in there come 6.2!).

Idk, that's just my opinion. WoD's music really is amazing as a standalone soundtrack and without a doubt the best soundtrack of all the expansions. However, it's far too theatrical for a video game for my own taste.

WoD's music is exceptional for sure, but as will all expansions, certain scores really stand out to me. From this xpac it's definitely Talador's music and the Alliance garrison music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    But if I'm just killing talbuks in Nagrand or chilling out in my garrison, I don't want my ears to be blasted with an entire symphony.
    Nagrand's music is particularly overpowering. It's the one zone I always have to turn the music down significantly because it's so distracting.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    For me, yes it is. Especially the Draenei Tracks even though I am a hardcore horde player. Auchindoun is by far the best Soundtrack ever made for WoW.

From around 2min in this is so amazing and really made me wishing they used this style more.
    I am a complete sucker for chanting like that in the background.

I have a soft spot for Pandaria's music. I've loved all expansions music, but I don't think it'll get better than MoP.

I absolutely loved the ambient music pre-TBC and TBC, but as already stated here, in WotLK they started making the soundtracks sound "epic" and "grand".

WoD does have more of the silent ambient tracks again, for example, the music in Shadowmoon Valley and Talador, which is amazing. I also hated some of it, the worst offenders being the music in Everbloom, the Alliance Garrison music, and the Ogre music that they use in Highmaul/Bloodmaul Slagmines/Every single Ogre-camp in the game. The best of the "epic" soundtracks, is without a doubt the one that is played after Grom kills Mannoroth in the cinematic. The only place I know that they used that in the actual game, is when you, Khadgar and the boys are running towards the docks after destroying the portal in the Tanaan intro quest.

Diablo II is still the Blizz game with the best music though (not that big of a surprise, considering that D2 has some of the best videogame music of all time).
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2014-12-28 at 07:10 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory