Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    All I know is this is getting fucking stupid, and pathetic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ddos attacks are difficult to protect against. Valve has been hit by them, so has Microsoft, and Blizzard, and EA, and Ubisoft, and Activision, and every other major gaming company.
    DDOS can be 100% negated, Google does it very well, other companies cannot be bothered to invest millions into it.

It's all about having enough fake servers that you swap to during a ddos and relay to something other than your important lines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazori View Post
    DDOS can be 100% negated, Google does it very well, other companies cannot be bothered to invest millions into it.
    No. It doesn't work that way. You get a big enough DDoS it'll bring down anything. Google has the required capacity for 'heavy' DDoS that is currently going on. You get it big enough they will halt to a stop.
    It's all about having enough fake servers that you swap to during a ddos and relay to something other than your important lines.
    If only. You have to filter the actual good content and the bad ones which gets increasingly difficult the more traffic you have. If you mess up the filter you start filtering the legit people. Plus, you can overload the filter and switch...

Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    I'm mainly thinking of technologically challenged middle age moms. I remember reading a fairly ludicrous exchange between a mom and a PSN forum admin about how stupid it was that her other kid had to create another user account just to do split screen on a game.
    she is correct. It is fucking stupid. But that is what they give, and what people are willing to buy ... more and more control of how they use the product they pay good money for, and less quality service on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No. It doesn't work that way. You get a big enough DDoS it'll bring down anything. Google has the required capacity for 'heavy' DDoS that is currently going on. You get it big enough they will halt to a stop.

If only. You have to filter the actual good content and the bad ones which gets increasingly difficult the more traffic you have. If you mess up the filter you start filtering the legit people. Plus, you can overload the filter and switch...
    Doesnt mater how its done, but if Blizzard, google, apple and Steam can do it other companies should be able too, MS was attacked but came up fairly fast.

Sony just have the most shittiest network for the ammount of demand and attacks it receive PSN has huge downtime and not to mention they sister companies like Sony pictures that had its DBs just plain hacked.

Sony has to retink all his network system, hire real talent or outsource to a capable network company with market prestige.
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2014-12-27 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Doesnt mater how its done, but if Blizzard, google, apple and Steam can do it other companies should be able too, MS was attacked but came up fairly fast.

Sony just have the most shittiest network for the ammount of demand and attacks it receive PSN has huge downtime and not to mention they sister companies like Sony pictures that had its DBs just plain hacked.

Sony has to retink all his network system, hire real talent or outsource to a capable network company with market prestige.
    Sony has 4 platforms that connect to PSN in the PSP, Vita, PS3, and PS4. They also dwarf MS in player base globally, I think it's a fairly "no shit" situation they would take longer to get everything working right then MS would.

Also lawl @ you mentioning Steam and blizzard. WoW was unplayable on WoD launch for the majority of players, Diablo 3 was unplayable for half a week for many people, Steam was down all of christmas day last year when they gave away L4D2 for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    You know that Blizzard (recently too) and Steam (this year too) has been DDoSed too, right? Granted for Steam sometimes they don't even need to be DDoSed to go very laggy during sales period.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You know that Blizzard (recently too) and Steam (this year too) has been DDoSed too, right? Granted for Steam sometimes they don't even need to be DDoSed to go very laggy during sales period.
    Yeah, was going to say this.

Even the biggest publishers have had their games/services ddos'd.

It's as Remilia said, these systems are only designed to handle X amount of traffic for the most part, and X may be huge, but not big enough to stand in the face of a large scale attack. Google or Apple? They're far, far bigger and handle far more consistent traffic, so making an impact on their services requires an attack many orders of magnitude bigger than hitting Battlenet, Steam, PSN, or XBL. Can they be impacted by these types of attacks? Yes, but again, it would have to be ludicrously massive.

I mean, hell, services like Steam, PSN, XBL, Battle.net, Origin, whatever Nintendo has, and other have all been overloaded by normal traffic alone (no outside attacks) during periods of high activity (game launches, big sales etc.). It's not financially feasible (well, it may be, but it's sure as hell not smart) to have the capacity to deal with these kinds of attacks or huge activity spikes as they're very temporary (from a matter of hours to a week or so, which is a very short period of time for a company with a product/services available year-round) and are more often than not quickly forgotten about.

Protecting a website against a DDoS =/= protecting a gaming server from a DDoS. A website just has to check your credentials once every time it loads the page. A game would have to check credentials with literally every packet sent since they constantly send and receive information.

It is very hard to protect a gaming service from a DDoS which is what these guys are taking advantage of. They claim they could do it themselves if given the right equipment...but I doubt it. They are getting cocky, though, and making a lot of noise via media. Only a matter of time before they get caught. In all honesty, they should just keep themselves quiet....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently Lizard Squad is being attacked by Anonymous. Made me happy in a way lol http://www.businessinsider.com/anony...ng-tor-2014-12

Here's a tweet that proves it as well: https://twitter.com/YourAnonGlobal/s...91017000439809
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Seems like psn is on its way to coming back up. I've logged into destiny a couple times now in the last few minutes, but can't seem to keep a connection yet.

LizardSquad actually stopped their DDoS on PSN about an hour ago. So the system still being down is probably due to Sony trying to update it or are simply having issues getting it back up.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account

maybe the real hacker works at Nintendo? Or.... Miyamoto..... is the hacker

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

maybe the real hacker works at Nintendo? Or.... Miyamoto..... is the hacker
    *rubs chin* it makes so much sense now...

https://twitter.com/AskPlayStation/s...57917907034112

PSN is gradually coming back online. I haven't tried on the PS4, but it is semi-working on the internet (was able to log into account on internet)

I keep getting 502 Bad Gateways and maintenance pages. Sign ins fail.
    Last edited by Pachycrocuta; 2014-12-27 at 02:47 PM.

I managed to stay on Destiny and DA:I for most of the night, and now after I uploaded a video to Youtube from my PS4, I can't sign in anymore. >,<!
    DDoS happening again?

Errors I'm getting:

NP-34957-8
    E-82000121

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Never mind, I just now signed into Destiny as that post went... Still can't access other services though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    Whelp guess we are in for a long haul ddos with no end in sight...

Whatever sony did... they should've known better that this would happen

This whole anonymous / finest squad / lizard squad just seems bunch of more twitter drama... nothing more

Its like saying a ddos has a story with it (being told through twitter XD) just hope we get to the damn end of it
    What do u mean whatever sony did???? You do know this is hitting XBL/PSN and other service's right and its been going on for months now. Even Steam and Battlenet has been hit.

Ontopic: This shit is getting old and I really wish someone would do something about it. All I want to do is play my game online and get it finished before tuseday ffs.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-12-27 at 03:06 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Might not be a DDoS or not a heavy one attacking sony atm, but the amount of people constantly trying to get on helps getting it down over and over

Blizzard and Steam have problems with DDoS too, but they in most cases don't go down, their service just gets slow and laggy

Hopefully this shit will be taken care of by the time I get back from work in 8 hours. Somehow, I doubt it greatly.