Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's nowhere close to the quality of TV shows or movies, it's a completely different form of entertainment.. No, I don't think it'll phase out anything else.

Already is for me, shows like Screen Junkies are amazing.

However it will probably never produce anything like GoT, but considering there is just so much crap on TV these days, then yes youtube can be the new form of entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It's nowhere close to the quality of TV shows or movies, it's a completely different form of entertainment.. No, I don't think it'll phase out anything else.
    what quality.....i see no quality in reality tv.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    in 50 years tv will have been replaced.
    TV as we know it now, movies and television shows? nope.
    And it sure as hell wouldn't have been replaced by some try hard internet personalities or more of that is on the same level of a reality show quality.

The change will mostly come due to how add revenue will change from add blocks to other forms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    TV as we know it now, movies and television shows? nope.
    And it sure as hell wouldn't have been replaced by some try hard internet personalities or more of that is on the same level of a reality show quality.

The change will mostly come due to how add revenue will change from add blocks to other forms.
    you would have to be delusional to think otherwise. in 50 years technology will have made it obsolete.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a TV and i don't see a single reason to get one. Everything is online anyway, theres literally zero reason to have TV subscription (if you have no familiy, etc)
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

No. It will have it's a large amount of viewers. But, in reality it is not family orientated at all. YouTubeers will not replace the likes of Ant and Dec, I'm a celebrity, X Factor and so on and so forth. Whilst all these annoying YouTubers gets millions of views, how many can say they get millions of views when they go live, and live stream? Not many. But things like Eastenders and Coronations street gets millions of viewers the evenings they are on, week in week out.
    YouTubers wouldn't make it in the real world of TV entertainment, save the few who are extremely talented, but under subscribed, Rhett and Link for exmaple, where as Pewdiepie is well... yeah. If he had a half hour slot on TV on an evening, He wouldn't get his millions of views for sure.
    The thing you are mistaking is the ease that steaming allows, any time viewing. TV is scheduled. Therefore comparing a video on YouTube to a TV show, saying it has X millions but the YouTube video has Y millions more is unfair due to time contraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    I sure as hell hope not, that would be fucking awful.
    I agree with you sibut!

Deleted
    In general online entertainment is already well on it's way to replacing TV. for many people (myself included) it effectively already has. I watch way more Youtube than television, and very rarely watch live television any more. That said, Youtube is too different to TV to replace it. Netflix and similar services are what will really be TV's downfall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Do you think Youtubers are the entertainers of the future? Many Youtubers have already gained tons of fame, recognition, and earned a lot of money simply providing us with entertainment.

Do you think that Youtubers have the potential to replace TV shows for entertainment? Personally I think yes, I spent a lot more of my time on youtube watching Hiddenblock or Normal Boots than I do watching (which I dont do much any more)
    No, but I think more professional TV's shows will be done on YouTube, quite frankly. On-demand streaming services like NetFlix, YouTube are definitely the future. Some paid for by subscription and some per advertising revenue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    what quality.....i see no quality in reality tv.
    Then watch other shows? Reality TV is hardly the only thing being produced.

people at home posting stuff to youtube will not replace hundreds of current shows. GoT has already been mentioned and there are many, many others.

some youtube content is better than some TV content, but not most of it and it never will unless they get major backing from a company. which, of course, just makes it another form of cable TV. you can't believe that crappy ad revenue and a little funding from donations/kickstarter will let some random folks make Breaking Bad or Doctor Who.

if you want to talk about things like netflix being the future then fine. i think everyone sees that coming in one shape or another. but some random folks making videos to post on youtube? no. ask any sane person to choose between their GoT/Walking Dead/Whatever versus some youtube channel and it won't even be a real choice.

don't forget sports. it's a big part of TV and it's not like they'll be replacing that either.

the closes thing you might ever get is some folks replacing TV news with young turks/other
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2014-12-27 at 01:50 PM.

I know a few TV channels already allow you to watch their shows on their website by logging in with your cable tv service provider info. TV will not go away, but access to it will be increased to allow use through other means such as the internet.

In my opinion, I find people's content on YT is better before they become big. They often don't shovel out content just to get adsense money, and want to attract and create a community for their channel. KYR SP33DY is a good example of this.

While I have a few (~20 or so) big channels subbed, I typically sub to small channels, as they often strike me as more unique. There'll be thousands trying to scream in a microphone and hope to become the next Pewdiepie, but those who develop their own persona are the ones I like to watch.

Twitch maybe, but youtube? no. Twitch killed the youtube.

I hope only in the world of youtubers.
    I almost don't know any of them. I only heard of Pewdyshit or whatever he's called because a friend of mine showed him to me. I think he's annoying as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    Twitch maybe, but youtube? no. Twitch killed the youtube.
    Most streams are so low in terms of quality and production value that I'm surprised they have as many viewers as they do, I guess people watch for the streamers but the same can be said for Youtubers, also the fact that Twitch is primarily made up of gaming streams whereas Youtube hits a much wider demographic is another reason why Youtube is objectively superior to Twitch regardless of what you prefer.

It's a nice thing for Youtubers to do for fun and to connect and play with fans and viewers but downright being better? I beg to differ. I mean if you don't make it in time to watch a stream live then whats the point?

I would say Youtube and Netflix are the future because of the on-demand nature of the two, you can watch what you want when you want to and niche content thrives there instead of on tv where it might get taken down because of lack of viewers, many content creators do it because it's their hobby, and some even make money doing it which is great.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2014-12-27 at 07:04 PM.

Wait, is youtubers still a big thing? really? Thought it would have died some years ago. Dont know, hardly see any, but er... perhaps?

Totally flies over my head. I don't remember a single youtuber I considered "entertaining".

Not that television does the job any better, but I definitely don't see a single youtuber leaving a lasting impression (I'm also not 15, so maybe I'm just not the target audience).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacras View Post
    Totally flies over my head. I don't remember a single youtuber I considered "entertaining".

Not that television does the job any better, but I definitely don't see a single youtuber leaving a lasting impression (I'm also not 15, so maybe I'm just not the target audience).
    It doesn't really matter if 1 single youtuber does, the fact is you can easily find hours of entertainment from so many different youtubers.

So yes I can see it become a bigger thing BUT if it does it will still be split in 2 groups...1 being more devoted to tv watchers in the sense of actual shows and a second one being the tune in/out entertainment where you just watch a video once in a while where you are bored (which it is more now).