Do we really need gathering professions anymore?

Just some thoughts that crossed my mind. Now that we have garrisons, players can gather ores and herbs without the corresponding professions. Not only that, but since the perks associated with them (stamina for mining, crit for skinning, etc.) have been removed, I'm beginning to wonder if we really need them anymore.

The more I think about it, the more okay I am with the prospect of gathering professions being removed, since they really only exist to supply materials for the crafting professions, and not much else. Of course, gathering would still be possible, there just wouldn't be a skill value attached to it. Honestly, I think it'd be for the better.

What do you guys think?
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

There is no use for gathering professions in this expansion unless you want to craft old things.

I don't think they should be removed, but definitely demoted down to secondary professions like cooking. Have them there for people who are interested, but not a profession in the truest sense.

They absolutely gutted them this expansion to the point of near uselessness. Personally, I feel like my characters that are gather's only got shafted majorly this expansion in terms of how much money they can make, because Blizzard in it's infinite (lack of) wisdom decided that everyone should have access to gathering professions without any of the work, and absolutely no bonus to having the actual profession.

We need an update on proffesions, too bad it'll cost a raid tier just like everything else does.
    "They will come for us now, all of them" "Let them come, Frostmourne The Banshee Queen hungers."

Based on blizzards recent treatment of professions, they're probably planning on removing gathering profs and just tying them in with the crafting profs they're associated with. This'll probably be a part of what is eventually going to be a pretty large profession overhaul they're preparing us for with the access to other profs through the garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Based on blizzards recent treatment of professions, they're probably planning on removing gathering profs and just tying them in with the crafting profs they're associated with. This'll probably be a part of what is eventually going to be a pretty large profession overhaul they're preparing us for with the access to other profs through the garrison.
    I am not entirely sure.
    I think the issue with the garrisons gathering is mostly the quantity.
    I think that there should be some materials not available through garrisons, and instead only through the actual profession itself.

This "limited access to professions" that garrisons were stated to be providing is simply way too much access instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Professions as a whole are in dire need of a makeover.
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

I would be cautious if you're planning on ditching your gathering profession; though this expansion has been a blessing with regards to not necessarily needing any, there is no guarantee garrisons or any type of "free mat" gameplay will exist in the future, which means you'll end up spending plenty of gold to buy mats just as before if you went without a gathering prof. If garrisons didn't give out as much as they did (and they do unfortunately give out too much) and instead maybe have out a quarter of what they did, gathering profs would still be en vogue. Don't forget for lw and tailoring, you're still forced to use a plot to make a barn if you want "free" mats over skinning and killing mobs for cloth, so they get a bit shafted.