Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    wasn't it Fel magic which granted easy access and a faster "learning curve" than the "traditional arcane", but came at the price of corruption? If so, then Fel would be simply a shortcut and would not automatically offer a higher power potential than other sources of magic.

I would be so bold and claim that every power source is limited by its user first and foremost and is generally equal in terms of maximum power. Of course it will be easier for a mage to be powerful next to a ley line or nexus and pretty hard if they are all stripped from the planet (aka what Malygos tried to achieve). Same as with Shaman... very strong next to an elemental Nexus, but pretty powerless when you cut off the connection to the elements.

The reason why I come to this conclusion is that most of "the lore" was written to be pretty balanced since it was used and published in form of RPG books where the same class/level system is in place. Powerful beings such as Titans or Ancients transcend class restrictions and often tap into multiple power sources(Gul'dan is mage/lock/shaman Tichondrius is mage/necromancer...). They differ a LOT on a personal strength level as well.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    wasn't it Fel magic which granted easy access and a faster "learning curve" than the "traditional arcane", but came at the price of corruption? If so, then Fel would be simply a shortcut and would not automatically offer a higher power potential than other sources of magic.

I would be so bold and claim that every power source is limited by its user first and foremost and is generally equal in terms of maximum power. Of course it will be easier for a mage to be powerful next to a ley line or nexus and pretty hard if they are all stripped from the planet (aka what Malygos tried to achieve). Same as with Shaman... very strong next to an elemental Nexus, but pretty powerless when you cut off the connection to the elements.

The reason why I come to this conclusion is that most of "the lore" was written to be pretty balanced since it was used and published in form of RPG books where the same class/level system is in place. Powerful beings such as Titans or Ancients transcend class restrictions and often tap into multiple power sources(Gul'dan is mage/lock/shaman Tichondrius is mage/necromancer...). They differ a LOT on a personal strength level as well.
    Well rpg books are no longer canon, and fel engergy is purified arcane or something along that line. Archimonde says Dalaran "stole" their magic.

A Priestess of the Moon is the most powerful, why? I'll tell you why.

If a Priestess of the Moon can convince the only known deity in the Warcraft Universe (Elune) to give her might, power or a tool, then she might just become one of the most powerful characters in the warcraft universe. It all depends on how they handle it. The Scythe of Elune wasnt handled well for example. But Tyrande was brought out of danger time and time again every time she pleaded for help to her Goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelrine View Post
    I would give this mage. Not any mage tough, the guardians.
    They were solely responsible for stopping the legion when they invaded azeroth.
    Aegwynn even once killed the avatar of Sargeras.
    The guardian wasn't really just the power of one mage though, it was the power of a full council of mages condensed into one person. So yes it's technically a mage,
    1. I wouldn't say it's a playable class
    2. While the guardian is 1 powerful character, it's not thanks to their strength alone

Gonna go with warlock here as well

-EDIT-

Realized now, since Khadgars revamp, and the fact that he can;
    1. Summon troops through space and time with his portals (From our universe to AU Draenor)
    2. Summon huge fucking towers and structures through space and time
    3. Freeze hundreds of iron horde troops in time (as seen in the Talador questline)

All of this with seemingly no effort and negative effect on his health, I mean it was way quicker for Khadgar to freeze the iron horde in time than it was for Drek'thar to summon a lightning bolt to break the mountainside and crush them at the end of Frostfire Ridge, and one would think that freezing someone in time would take way more than conjuring some lightning.
    But something that we have to consider is that even with all of this power, Khadgar is afraid of Gul'dan and what his power/influence can cause. And in case you haven't noticed, Gul'dan is pretty much THE warlock.
    Last edited by Marquize; 2014-12-28 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    magical power of mages are not their own, they tap into the nether.
    how powerful a mage is depends on its ability to use arcane power of the nether.

a very powerful mage in warcraft lore was Aegwynn, the mother of medivh. She defeated Sargeras, the leader of the burning legion himself. Gul'dan fully submitted to kil'jeaden, who is only a commander, an underchief, of the burning legion.

Thrall is a powerful shaman, but limited by the power he taps from the elements. The nether is limitless.

EDIT: it was not medibh, but hismother that defeated sargeras, my mistake, i edited.
    She defeated the avatar, not Sargeras.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelrine View Post
    I would give this mage. Not any mage tough, the guardians.
    They were solely responsible for stopping the legion when they invaded azeroth.
    Aegwynn even once killed the avatar of Sargeras.
    Avatar of Sargeras pretended to die and possessed her child, she couldn't have actually beaten him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquize View Post
    Realized now, since Khadgars revamp, and the fact that he can;
    1. Summon troops through space and time with his portals (From our universe to AU Draenor)
    2. Summon huge fucking towers and structures through space and time
    3. Freeze hundreds of iron horde troops in time (as seen in the Talador questline)

All of this with seemingly no effort and negative effect on his health, I mean it was way quicker for Khadgar to freeze the iron horde in time than it was for Drek'thar to summon a lightning bolt to break the mountainside and crush them at the end of Frostfire Ridge, and one would think that freezing someone in time would take way more than conjuring some lightning.
    But something that we have to consider is that even with all of this power, Khadgar is afraid of Gul'dan and what his power/influence can cause. And in case you haven't noticed, Gul'dan is pretty much THE warlock.
    I would agree that Khadgar is (from our perspective) not taxed a lot. But we do not know that yet. He did seem quite out of breath and power when he performed all those tasks (at least the time freezing one) and Gul'dan? I think he will find his own undoing in his thirst for power, who knows.

There may be some very powerful warlocks in WoW, but the ones players have access to do not seem that powerful. What they are capable of doing seems pretty limited. If you compare them to mage who can teleport all around the continents, has control over both ice and fire, elements that can shape the very landscape of a planet and has ability to warp time ... I would go with the mage.

Also Khadgar has this air of pure magic that can move mountains around him. He is very well designed in the game.

Also balance druids. Starfall, Typhooon, Hurricane, Solar beam, Choosen of Eune ... a walking natural disaster favoured by a god.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Gul'dan, Medivh - locks so yea locks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    magical power of mages are not their own, they tap into the nether.
    how powerful a mage is depends on its ability to use arcane power of the nether.

a very powerful mage in warcraft lore was Aegwynn, the mother of medivh. She defeated Sargeras, the leader of the burning legion himself. Gul'dan fully submitted to kil'jeaden, who is only a commander, an underchief, of the burning legion.

Thrall is a powerful shaman, but limited by the power he taps from the elements. The nether is limitless.

EDIT: it was not medibh, but hismother that defeated sargeras, my mistake, i edited.
    Actually she didn't beat Sargeras, considering his plan all along was to allow his Avatar to be defeated by her and allowing "his spirit to enter her body"

Last Paragraph
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

paladins, they use powers of a actual god

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    I would agree that Khadgar is (from our perspective) not taxed a lot. But we do not know that yet. He did seem quite out of breath and power when he performed all those tasks (at least the time freezing one) and Gul'dan? I think he will find his own undoing in his thirst for power, who knows.
    Oh yes, that most certainly is a possibility, my only point with mentioning Gul'dan was to show that even a powerful mage such as Khadgar (most powerful mage in lore atm?) is afraid of him. It could mean many things, such as that Khadgar believes Gul'dan is more powerful than him or it is because he knows what Gul'dan is capable of and not really a direct result of their own powers compared.

In either case, the way I see it is that while Gul'dan could build a permanent portal to another world and also be used to power said portal. Khadgar is able to make temporary portals to another world in another timeline(powers we weren't even aware were available to others than the bronze flight) which makes them both forces worth fearing.
    In the end, I think the legendary questline is leading towards Khadgar getting killed, by who or what I do not know but I get the feeling that Gul'dan will be the one left standing (at first).

I guess my point is, it's hard to tell which class is more powerful "in lore" because characters in lore are just as powerful as the story needs them to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oopsmezedya View Post
    Yet the mind of them are so easily corrupted (See Arthas) and a paladin is never seen in lore taking down a dragon single-handedly or any other great tasks, they take care of the scourge, that's what they are good at, that and politics.

Easily a Warrior. Who led both the alliance and horde? Varian and Garrosh both warriors. Leaders tend to be warriors for a good reason. First main biggest most epic hero/villian in warcraft? Lothar and Ogrim also stars of the upcoming movie again both warriors. Who was the only character to ever hurt sargaras? Thats right an orc Warrior. Who can reflect a warlocks or mages spell right back at their face? Yep a Warrior. A warriors power comes from within others classes need to pull from sources. So put all classes in a vacuum and warrior will be the only one that is still at his full power.

Warlock probably. The fel magic is crazy powerful and you can summon demons and just lay waste to everything. Second, I'd have to go with Druid; the ability to control nature and rejuvenate pretty much anything is awesome but it takes much more time than destroying it would. Priest & Pally next, because you know keeping people alive and legit resurrection. And Mage following, with their time shifting and portals and powerful pew pew magic. Then DK at the end I guess for necromancy powers.

Oh yes, that most certainly is a possibility, my only point with mentioning Gul'dan was to show that even a powerful mage such as Khadgar (most powerful mage in lore atm?) is afraid of him. It could mean many things, such as that Khadgar believes Gul'dan is more powerful than him or it is because he knows what Gul'dan is capable of and not really a direct result of their own powers compared.

In either case, the way I see it is that while Gul'dan could build a permanent portal to another world and also be used to power said portal. Khadgar is able to make temporary portals to another world in another timeline(powers we weren't even aware were available to others than the bronze flight) which makes them both forces worth fearing.
    In the end, I think the legendary questline is leading towards Khadgar getting killed, by who or what I do not know but I get the feeling that Gul'dan will be the one left standing (at first).

I guess my point is, it's hard to tell which class is more powerful "in lore" because characters in lore are just as powerful as the story needs them to be.
    The thing about Gul'Dan is he is very evil(perhaps the most evil mortal) and crafty. I don't think Khadgar really fear him in battle as much as he fears what the bastard is planning. He is tracking down Gul'Dan. Gul'Dan is certainly one of the most powerful mortal out there though. Gul'Dan is the kinda of villian that if left alone then he will come up with some fucked up shits.

Another thing to mention besides the fact that "people in lore are as powerful as the story needs them to be" is that classes don't exist in lore the same way classes are for players, in lore you might be able to find a mage that fights with an axe and is some kind of arcane warrior, or we have Anduin, a priest on his way to become a Paladin.

In lore characters have been shown to switch classes at multiple occations, switching to fel magic and becoming warlocks, losing their connection with the light and turning to the elements, getting corrupted by an orc spirit to become a death knight. Anyone can become anything(almost) at any time, with some training(or corruption).
    And ofc we have the one that we do not speak of that is some sort of arcane-holy-shamanistic-warrior wreck-train... not sure if I should include that but the fact remains, he was created!

Point I really want to make now is -It's basically impossible to say that any class is more powerful in lore than the next, because even if there's a mage somewhere blowing up planets, there might just be a rogue there in the shadows, waiting for him to fall asleep and even if he can't destroy planets, he still killed the one that could.

Deleted
    ...Mages...

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know, seeing how Gul'dan is getting slapped around both in this expansion and the base lore, he does not really strike me as exceptionally powerful. Sure, he is very clever, influential and charismatic, but most of his power comes exactly from that and not from him being actually exceptionally powerful by himself.

Of course he does command some significant power, but it's not on the level of Khadgar or Medivh (Mage and Guardian of Tirisfal respectively - Medivh can't be really classed as he is a mix of everything by the lore).

Gul'dan's death was pretty pathetic as well and he realized it himself in his last moments that he was merely a pawn.

The notion that Warlocks are more powerful than Mages because these were Mages that wanted more power is flawed as well. Warlock path is an easy (and risky) way to tap into readily available and eagerly shared source of power, but it does not mean that it is inherently more powerful than what Mages can achieve on their own, merely it means that it is a quick fix, compared to Mage training dedication that requires much more time and talent.

That said, both Warlocks and Mages can reach equally amazing powers - in a huge penis-measuring fight, both Warlocks and Mages can whip out very serious members.

Besides that people keep forgetting Druids, those command some serious power on their own as well, maybe even greater than that of Mages and Warlocks, as a matter of fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsmezedya View Post
    The light isn't an actual being that we know of.

There are beings MADE of pure light (Naaru), but the light itself isn't.

Druid also can be really powerful. It's just that the art is not so widespread and it takes a lot of patience to learn as demonstrated by Malfurion in WotA trilogy. There was once a really powerful dreadlord named Kathra'Natir who took the first guardian of Tirifal,Alodi to banish. You know who destroyed the dreadlord before he returned to trouble Azeroth in Alodi's time? It was a young druid named Malfurion..