Macro for Ambush/Backstab.

So I have been using this macro:

/cast [stance:3] Ambush
    /cast [stance:2] Ambush
    /cast [stance:1] Ambush
    /cast [stance:0] Backstab

It's worked perfectly this entire time, utilizing Ambush when I am in SD, and Vanish, also utilizing Backstab when not. However tonight (whether this is just a one time thing is yet to be seen) it kept back-stabbing first when I popped SD, then Ambushed. I only noticed it because the CP generation was less than usual and my Shadow in recount had Backstab damage instead of the normal Ambush/Evis.

So did something change? Or is this just some issue I might be having tonight? Maybe there's a better macro out there? Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

A lag issue, perhaps?

Sometimes I find if I'm playing in an American instance (I live in NZ) and I hit Vanish, then instantly press my ambush/backstab button (they are on the same key depending on stealth), I will backstab after vanishing.

Nothing should have changed with that macro recently, it should work as it always has.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, probably latency issue. I have the same macro but I have another button (same as this macro+shift mod) with "clean" ambush. So I hit SD/Vanish and then hit ambush normally once, then this macro.
    Also not sure if macro counts subterfuge as stealth and using normal ambush during it.
    I survived 2010 Summer in Moscow without leaving city for a single day!

There's bar/stance lag unfortunately even when using macros. The only solution is basically what you came up with... another keybind. I tried to harp on this issue when they announced their goal of reducing keybinds for WoD, since there's really no technical reason it should exist (just detect the stance change client side).

Also, you can simplify your macro to:
    /cast [stance:1/2/3] Ambush

The SD could have just been lag...

Now that I think about it I just recently changed to using Subterfuge. Maybe that's it while using Vanish... Since the Subterfuge talent and the Vanish Glyph is technically a bug; the macro isn't counting that time as "In stealth."

Quote Originally Posted by Unseenkilla View Post
    The SD could have just been lag...

Now that I think about it I just recently changed to using Subterfuge. Maybe that's it while using Vanish... Since the Subterfuge talent and the Vanish Glyph is technically a bug; the macro isn't counting that time as "In stealth."
    It just lags when switching stances (the bar lags and the internal flag that is used by stance macros). My Shadowdance macro cancels Vanish and Subterfuge.

By this description it sounds like a known bug, just add a /cancelaura Subterfuge to your Dance macro (make one if you don't have any) in the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by nordveien View Post
    By this description it sounds like a known bug, just add a /cancelaura Subterfuge to your Dance macro (make one if you don't have any) in the very beginning.
    That fixes a different issue (otherwise you'd be in stealth or dancing but have the wrong bar up and macros would consider you in the wrong stance).

The bar/stance lag issue is annoying for anyone who uses keybinds and quickly tries to do something like dance -> cheap shot. The only solution currently is to use yet more keybinds, so that rather than doing Dance -> Backstab/Ambush macro, you do Dance -> Explicit Ambush.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you like the "TOOLTIP" on your macros, try this one:

#showtooltip
    /cast [stance:1/2/3] Ambush
    /run local g=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell(GetRunningMacro(), g"Backstab" or g"Ambush")

I have the same macro but I noticed this a while back for some reason it would not register the first Ambush in SD.

Now I just use my normal Ambush button when I go into SD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smana7 View Post
    I have the same macro but I noticed this a while back for some reason it would not register the first Ambush in SD.

Now I just use my normal Ambush button when I go into SD.
    i have the same issue, its probably just a matter of lag

if you use shadow dance and wait half a second with first ambush it should pop properly and apply FW

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just make Ambush and backstab the same ability. I don't see a reason to ever backstab when I could ambush. Stealth? Ambush. Non-stealth? Backstab. We all make macros to do the same thing anyway.

Backstab
    *when used from stealth generates 2 combo points, during shadow dance costs 40 energy. when used from stealth costs 60 energy. while not in stealth costs 40 but does less damage. simple right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vokz View Post
    They should just make Ambush and backstab the same ability. I don't see a reason to ever backstab when I could ambush. Stealth? Ambush. Non-stealth? Backstab. We all make macros to do the same thing anyway.
    Feral druid had ravage removed and its function rolled into shred.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have Ambush macro'd with Stealth instead of Backstab.