Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    We will not completely remove troops from Iraq or Afghanistan in our life times. Look at how many troops we still have in Germany...
    Hell, we still have troops in America, and that fight "ended" 1865!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    We will not completely remove troops from Iraq or Afghanistan in our life times. Look at how many troops we still have in Germany...
    It's almost like we're there with the consent of the German government.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's almost like we're there with the consent of the German government.
    I didn't say we weren't... I'm sure we will have concent of what ever government we will install in Afghanistan and Iraq as well.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Thoughts? Honestly its not really over, with all the other conflicts going on that the U.S is involved in. Also Vietnam was a longer war, not sure why Huff stated this 1 was.
    Well I am not an American but - They ended up chasing and killing osama like a playground vendetta, arguably bolstering the resolve that got the US into Afghanistan in the first place. Have used this whole fiasco to push intelligence agencies into everyone's lives globally and made air travel a mild form of rape. The also don't seemed to have achieved much in not one but two similar wars and are verging on a 3rd, because this whole isis thing is going to come to a head at *some* point. But yes, join hands and listen to another Obama rant in that irritating tailored patriot speech voice, because it is over. What is not over is what got us to this point in the first place, I don't think this is a milestone worth marking, but by all means. This guy - I don't like him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    How do you know a politician is lying? His lips are moving.
    Heard it before but I like it. As long as this is understood maybe we can all get along.

We were never at war, we haven't been since 1945. We've just been in security conflicts, and I guess you could say that this is the end of the security conflict in Afghanistan.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    We were never at war, we haven't been since 1945. We've just been in security conflicts, and I guess you could say that this is the end of the security conflict in Afghanistan.
    Good! I was annoyed with all the war movies in theaters recently, but now that I know they are security conflict movies... I feel a lot better...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Good! I was annoyed with all the war movies in theaters recently, but now that I know they are security conflict movies... I feel a lot better...
    Fury is an actual war movie, taking place near the end of World War II. Not like American Sniper where it's about some guy shooting random jihadis.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury is an actual war movie, taking place near the end of World War II. Not like American Sniper where it's about some guy shooting random jihadis.
    Are you suggesting that snipers during WW2 were not fighting in the war either or are those doing the same thing in Afghanistan different?

10+ Year Old Account
    Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and the Iraq War were all officially sanctioned, declared wars on behalf of the United States Government.

What you are saying is we haven't been at a state of Total War since World War II. You should be very, very grateful for that.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Deleted
    he'd really like to avoid being held responsible for the remake of "The Fall of Saigon" on its 40th Anniversary.
    It`s going to happen anyway.

Afganistan had 13 years of your help - and you can easily be against the military operation while saying that - in money,blood and overall economic input. Your whole sectors of governmental institutions essentially became ''Iraq and Afghanistan Ministry''.
    Going in to Afghanistan was a mistake - Brits learning it the hard way and Soviets learning it the hard way.All you do is help neighbouring countries with border patrols and operations like that to contain,to tame it within the...state.

At some point you simply have to shrug it off and say - ''Well,fuck you.''.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last Marines left Afghanistan back in October: "U.S. Marines Leave Afghanistan, Along With British Force". Now the Marines are heading back to Afghanistan: "Lejeune Marines prepare for deployment to Afghanistan":
    Just months after marking the end of the Corps' combat operations in Afghanistan, officials revealed that Marines are headed back into the war-torn country, but details of the deployment remain scarce.

The disclosure came in a Marine Corps news release outlining preparations being made by 2nd Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company aboard Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. The company tested its Supporting Arms Liaison Team Alpha's readiness for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan by tackling various "real-life" scenarios between Dec. 8 and 11, according to the release.

The training included unloading from CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters, dealing with Afghan village elders, and overcoming ambushes and sniper attacks.

The Marines will be responsible for "security operations" in Afghanistan, according to the release. To prepare, they were "tested on their reaction to different insurgency situations such as counter improvised explosive device patrols and investigating the origin of enemy fire," the release states.
    Meanwhile, "Expect more US casualties in Afghanistan, top NATO commander says". Not that all that has kept Obama from publicly celebrating the "end" of the Afghan War, "Obama notes end of Afghanistan War in Christmas address".

As the Guardian recently pointed out, "The greatest trick Obama ever pulled was convincing the world America isn't still at war". (I didn't think it was possible to be a worse President than George W. Bush, but damn, Obama is sure trying.)
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2015-01-10 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Edited to fix link.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Because Vietnam was never declared a war, technically it was just a "conflict."
    This was never declared a war either. The last time the US declared war was on June 5th 1942. The US declared war on Bulgaria, Romania, and Hungary on that date. (This was after declaring war on Germany, Japan, and Italy 6 months earlier, with Japan being three days earlier than the other two.)

Now if you want to argue that Afghanistan is a war because it was a military action authorized by congress, then Vietnam receives the exact same definition and for the exact same reasons.

The Vietnam "war" was 20 years, but the US was only involved for 9 years of that (It was actually initiated by the French in 1955, who themselves were responsible for a lot of the distrust that the Vietnamese had towards the west, and ended with the Fall of Saigon in 1975, two years after the US left.) Afghanistan however the US was involved for 13 years.
    Last edited by ArmoredDragoon; 2015-01-10 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last Marines left Afghanistan back in October: "U.S. Marines Leave Afghanistan, Along With British Force". Now the Marines are heading back to Afghanistan: "Lejeune Marines prepare for deployment to Afghanistan":

Meanwhile, "Expect more US casualties in Afghanistan, top NATO commander says". Not that all that has kept Obama from publicly celebrating the "end" of the Afghan War, "Obama notes end of Afghanistan War in Christmas address".

As the Guardian recently pointed out, "The greatest trick Obama ever pulled was convincing the world America isn't still at war". (I didn't think it was possible to be a worse President than George W. Bush, but damn, Obama is sure trying.)
    It really is just asinine how someone can say "The war is over guys!" and then not get ripped for sending troops back there. Didn't people give Bush hell for his "Mission accomplished" banner? (At least that was technically true, the original mission was accomplished, even if it was pants on head retarded)
    You're a towel.