[Prot] Ideal gearing for CMs

So, I've leveled up my Paladin as the second toon I want to get 8/8 gold on. I'm stuck between Crit or Mastery for CMs, though. Are there any more experienced paladins that can say (and back up) which gives higher DPS, which gives higher survivability, and by how much?

I don't have the numbers but I'll throw out some armchair logic.

Mastery is currently the desired stat due to its scaling with Holy Shield, particularly as gear improves.

Crit, on the other hand, is a clear dps gain and also works a lot better with Seraphim.

For CMs you will be running Seraphim (or should be) and your gear will be scaled down, therefore both of the reasons Mastery usually pulls ahead (better gear, holy shield) are absent - meaning critical strike would take precedence.

I don't have the sim numbers for any of this (although they are around on this forum or on sacredduty.net somewhere) but that's the general logic behind the stats unless I'm mistaken.

Question: Is it best to stack crit/mastery (or possibly haste) on all your items, or do you still want some variety?

Quote Originally Posted by OrcinusDrake View Post
    Question: Is it best to stack crit/mastery (or possibly haste) on all your items, or do you still want some variety?
    A general rule of thumb is that the more of something you have, the less useful it is (except for Bonus Armor, that stuff is magic).

For instance, let's say you gear for Crit. Even if you manage to get an entire set of crit gear (which you probably won't) the assorted secondaries on the rest will give you enough of a variety.

Want an even better example? I've been trying to gear my paladin for Mastery then Crit over the last few weeks, take a look at my armory below and see how well that is going

Also, not possibly haste. Definitely not haste.
    Last edited by Kanadei; 2014-12-30 at 05:42 AM.

The way I look at it, Paladins are so far from the top of the heap that the itemization is irrelevant.
    If we must compare stats, I found Mastery to be MUCH better, but essentially everything Paladins can do, other tanks can do much better.
    Without Avenging Wrath and Vengeance, Paladins have lost their true assets in CMs.

I'm sure its more than possible to complete CMs, but I like to carve alts in perfect form before I take on the role of the 3rd or worse option.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    The way I look at it, Paladins are so far from the top of the heap that the itemization is irrelevant.
    If we must compare stats, I found Mastery to be MUCH better, but essentially everything Paladins can do, other tanks can do much better.
    Without Avenging Wrath and Vengeance, Paladins have lost their true assets in CMs.
    Lul wut?

Paladins are awesome for CMs, where is this even coming from. I mean, maybe for server-best gold timers there are other tanks which potentially pull ahead but saying that Paladins are so far from the top that discussing itemization is irrelevant is pretty combative to say the least.

Pull 2-3 packs, drop LH, pop Seraphim, consecrate and watch your aoe dps clear 60k easy. That is not negligible.

Go ask Lazel how awful Paladins are at CMs. He only got every WOD gold more than a month ago :/

I've been keeping all 630 with crit/mastery, and have almost everything with these 2 stats. Pretty boring, but pretty easy to farm. You can also have gear with only 1 stats via garrison mission. 230 crit chest is a lot.

So on my Paladin, I've managed to get full Silver CM's. Each was about 90sec short of gold, so we have some pushing to do.

I pretty much just went in with what ever gear I was wearing, and had Holy Shield and Divine Purpose Talented. It was pretty rough some pulls.

In an effort to make Gold easier, I've been collecting Mastery/Crit gear, and have a good amount. Would you suggest that is a good way to go?

And for Talents, I guess I should have been Sera. Is HA that much preferable to SW/DP?

Which trinkets would you suggest?

Thanks for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    1. In an effort to make Gold easier, I've been collecting Mastery/Crit gear, and have a good amount. Would you suggest that is a good way to go?

2. And for Talents, I guess I should have been Sera.

3. Is HA that much preferable to SW/DP?

4. Which trinkets would you suggest?
    1. Sounds like it yes, crit for Sera and Mastery for HS but both good stats for us.

2. Yes you should. There is simply no way around the burst damage it brings for CMs since the fights are so much shorter. Pull multiple packs, lights hammer, seraphim, consecrate, go to town.

3. HA just adds an extra cd, which is good for CMs since you can predict when you will be taking big bursts of damage. Frankly, DP is a bit RNG for something like CMs. It evens out over long fights, high chance to screw you (and admittedly vice versa if you are lucky) on short ones. SW is just if you dont want HA and would prefer smoother HP generation/SotR uptime overall.

4. Couldn't tell you, I'll let someone who knows more take that one.