High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Just a question about my system...

Hey all just a quick question really as I know very little about this stuff, I am just wondering with my set up if any component is holding me back, i.e is my gpu holding back my cpu or what ever.

My specs

AMD Fx 8150 Eight-Core Processor: 3.6 GHz

RAM 16G

Windows 8.1: 64 bit.

AMD 2G Radeon HD 7850

Need anything else? lemme know, cheers

Nothing is holding back anything.

You just have a lot of RAM which is useless (Not useless just not needed right now unless you are running 2-3 games at the same time or lots of heavy heavy things or compressing videos).

If you are talking about WoW then its your CPU since it doesnt run decently on AMD CPU's since performance per core is low and WoW cant utilize those CPUs properly.

Your GPU is already 2 years old but it doesnt mean it cant run Blizzard games.

Basically nothing on those few things you linked is "bad" or not enough for Blizzard games but you didnt specify.

Only your CPU is a bit bad for raiding and you just need to have some settings down to not have FPS issues.

Also i can assume you only have a HDD therefor thats an issue itself also since that holds you back to since you didnt mention everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    What game is being held back? That setup is pretty decent. Also what motherboard you have? Those AMD FX chips like having quality motherboards.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea sorry, I play wow on and off these days, I do more video editing and such lately. WOw is really the only thing that has FPS issues, that and Minecraft lol. But only every now and then. In wow it can drop to under 30 fps in places like warspear, but I discussed that issue in another thread, but thank you for making note of it

Further specs

I have an 120g or so SSD, which wow does not run off of.

and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990FA-UD3, what can you guys tell me about that in relation to my CPU etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    First thing to check is memory speed, cause this is a Gigabyte board here and they are difficult with ram setup. Get CPUZ and check out the memory speed, both in clock speed and timings and report them. If that isn't setup properly the CPU will tank in performance.

Second area we can attack is the VRMs. They tend to be problems for people with that motherboard. I have a 8350 on a Gigabyte board so I know all about their VRM cooling. Trust me, it's important cause otherwise the CPU gets throttled. But first check the memory speed.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I downloaded the Application, did a report as a text but seems far to long to post here, what exactly am I looking for in it, or what exactly do you want me to post from it? I only did the clock one, can't see a timings one, is that SPD.

I am very much out of my element in all this, I feel like a right scrub lol.

with that build you should be able to raid in 15+ man raids with 60+ FPS on good settings just remember to turn off SSAO as it is a FPS killer on AMD CPU's, WoW runs slower on AMD CPU's then Intel's because WoW is not a true 64-bit program, meaning its Multi-threading is very dependent on each cores single thread performance,

if your having issues try turning down settings and making these setting changes on order untill you get to the desired FPS

1) SSAO off, its a performance loss to run in WoW but it's worse on AMD's,

2) Shadows, turn these to fair or low, Shadows kill FPS and really are not needed for anything in WoW

3) Refraction, turn this to low or off, no real gain to keep this on but it may give you 5 -10 FPS average gain turning it down or off

4) Anti Aliasing, just turn this off, the only options are FXAA and CMAA, both suck and can cause FPS loss on some Radeon HD cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazykeven View Post
    So I downloaded the Application, did a report as a text but seems far to long to post here, what exactly am I looking for in it, or what exactly do you want me to post from it? I only did the clock one, can't see a timings one, is that SPD.

I am very much out of my element in all this, I feel like a right scrub lol.
    No need to hunt for a text file. Just type what you see under memory. Everything in the red box.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    DRAM Frequency 671.0 HMz
    FSBRAM 3:10
    CAS#Latency (CL) 9.0 Clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 Clocks
    RAS# Percharge (tRP) 9 Clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 Clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 33 Clocks

Hey all just a quick question really as I know very little about this stuff, I am just wondering with my set up if any component is holding me back, i.e is my gpu holding back my cpu or what ever.
    Yea sorry, I play wow on and off these days, I do more video editing and such lately. WOw is really the only thing that has FPS issues, that and Minecraft lol. But only every now and then. In wow it can drop to under 30 fps in places like warspear, but I discussed that issue in another thread, but thank you for making note of it
    AMD processors suck for all MMORPGs, especially in WoW if you're trying to do large scale PvP or raiding. Difference is really as high as "sub30" on AMD vs "40-50" on Intel when it comes to WoW framerates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Memory looks fine.

If you were in a raid then dropping bellow 30 fps is normal. You said it dropped bellow 30 in warspear, was that in a raid or large group of people? Also are you running mods like recount? That's known to drop performance.

I would really invest in a solid air cooler and overclock as much as possible out of the chip.
    The 8150 is not a very strong single-threaded processor; if the second digit had been a 3 instead of a 1, you would have been better off.

Overclocking will cost you the least amount of money for the most relative performance boost. For Wow.