Shadow Priest PvP questions

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for any replies. I've returned to WoW for the first time in a long time. I've leveled a few classes, including a Shadow Priest to lvl 40. I had a few questions.

-What are your opinions on Shadow Priests for WPvP and BGs?

-Are Shadow Priests fodder for melee such as rogues and feral druids or can the class make it out okay?

-What is a Shadow Priests role in PvP. High DPS, aiming for killing blows, supporting other dps?

-Any insight, tips, advice of frustrations or glory would be appreciated about Shadow Priests. I like playing the class, but I'm debating between it and a hunter for my 'main'. I'll quest, casually do dungeons, and focus on WPvP and BGs.

Replies are appreciated .

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm terrified of nerfs right now. I haven't done any arenas so far but I feel unstoppable in BGs. I can kill any class 1v1, and the only things that can come close to killing me would be a very well played rogue, feral, or... uh, that's about it. And even those classes I can reliably escape every time with only a single well-placed ally to reverse grip to.

From the moment I was geared I've been beaten on damage done only once (by a DK somehow), and I can't remember a BG where I died more than twice, and that's just being cocky and careless. I can remove a healer from a fight for up to 15 seconds by myself using abilities on relatively rare DR categories.

It's very satisfying. PvP right now seems like it's 60% melee, 15% hunters, 15% casters, and 10% healers, which is great because while melees and hunters have a better chance against me than any caster, I can still farm the shit out of most of them, especially the vast hordes of nameless warrior and ret pally fotm rerollers.

Now with all that said, there are a few caveats. First, you HAVE to be geared, full combatant at least. Don't bother expecting to do well without gear. Second, you have to L2P. Shadow is a funny animal because it seems so fragile in the hands of a lesser player. I see shadowpriests all the time who just get wrecked, they do terrible damage and end up with like 1 kill and 7 deaths. This is true of any class of course, but Shadow seems particularly vulnerable to player badness. Our defenses take practice and timing to use properly, otherwise they do nothing.

As for our role, what DON'T we do? CC healers, blow up anything you want, fear bombs on the idiot melee train to break up DPS on the FC. The only thing we don't do super well is carry flags because we flat can't use our best defense, Spectral Guise.

General tips:

1. Abuse the FUCK out of feathers. We're so fucking mobile it's stupid. Don't hesitate at any moment to drop a feather, even if you're just moving from one side of a room to the other for no reason than boredom.

2. Psychic Horror is GOOD (once you get the set bonus). In fact, it's usually better to use it than DP since it's effectively orb-free. Use it as part of a CC chain on a healer, or on a kill target to prevent defensive CDs. OR use it on the rogue humping your leg for a breather - best if you can manage to time it so crip poison runs out during and you can drop a feather and burn out of there.

3. Feather+Disperse is one of the most potent escapes in the game. Make sure you've got the feather boost and then disperse the hell out of there. Watch the dumb warriors try and fail miserably to charge, DK ice chains, feral kitty jump, etc. IMPORTANT--> if a DK is part of the pain train on your nuts, make sure he's already blown grip. That'll wreck your day fast.

4. REVERSE GRIP. This is so dumb I can't believe Blizz let it go through. It's hard to use though, because you need an ally targeted. It never hurts to keep yourself aware of what allies are around you, and to keep one at max grip range to jump to. I've had the idea to use a focus macro, and to focus the ally you want to use if you sense you might soon need it. But my grip usage hasn't grown that advanced yet. If you don't use a focus macro like that, then start the process of locating and targeting the ally EARLY. You can die very quick if you let yourself get pinned down by inability to grip away. But there's nothing more satisfying than leaping halfway across the BG and away from all the melee losers.

5. Never let Mind Blast stay on cooldown for more than a single GCD, not ever. It hits like a truck, builds orbs, and roots on crit with the glyph. Blast creates a graceful rhythm of about 3 gcds - BLAST, something else something else something else BLAST, etc etc. Create muscle memory and plan your spell rotation around it.

6. PWS is very strong. Our casted heals are not, only heal up directly when nothing is threatening you and you have the time.

7. Always try to have a fresh PWS before blowing Guise. Absorbed dot ticks don't knock you out of invisibility.

8. I'm not sure if they changed this, but silence prevents many melee abilities, especially those of DKs. It also prevents anti-magic shell. Someone who's looked more deeply into this ought to make a list of what it stops.

9. Don't use the Glyph of Shadow. No. Bad priest.

10. I've been rolling Mindbender+Twist of Fate. Bender makes for some very nice low-cooldown on-demand burst, helps a lot when a melee jumps you and you need some extra non-casted damage. ToF is just generally really good for BGs because in mass combat there's always a player or pet low on health you can snipe, even busting SWD for an extra orb. I'm not sure it would perform as well in arenas, especially against healers.

The old proc talents don't seem to proc hardly at all anymore. Shadow Insight is especially useless because the Blast cooldown is already so fast with haste - chances are gigantic that a proc will happen at a timing when it does literally nothing. I really hope they redesign it (and lots of other shit especially other talents) in a future patch, because as of now it's woefully outdated.

11. Don't fucking roll a hunter. Stick with Shadow, it's definitely at a high point right now.
    Last edited by Annesh; 2014-12-30 at 07:19 PM.

Annesh, thanks dude. You posted exactly what I was hoping to read. I definitely need to learn the class more (I played a rogue and hunter when the game came out), but I'm tired of those classes and looking to start fresh. You helped a ton dude.

You should play hunter even if you want to main Shadow...Hunter is a god this expansion and you might as well enjoy SV before it gets nurfed to the ground PvP wise...

So I tried a battleground out in the 40s. My poorly geared Shadow Priest, and my lacking of knowledge in the class resulted in a killing blow count of 1 with 5 deaths. I was middle of the pack for damage. I did the same thing with a hunter, also poorly geared, and netted 9 killing blows and 1 death; again middle of pack for damage.

I like the Shadow Priest, but I'm in for a long ride.

Is my experience accurate? Is it easier for a hunter, poorly geared and average skill playing, to get more killing blows, avoid death, and do decent damage that the SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbow77 View Post
    So I tried a battleground out in the 40s. My poorly geared Shadow Priest, and my lacking of knowledge in the class resulted in a killing blow count of 1 with 5 deaths. I was middle of the pack for damage. I did the same thing with a hunter, also poorly geared, and netted 9 killing blows and 1 death; again middle of pack for damage.

I like the Shadow Priest, but I'm in for a long ride.

Is my experience accurate? Is it easier for a hunter, poorly geared and average skill playing, to get more killing blows, avoid death, and do decent damage that the SP?
    This isn't CoD, Killing blows are not the measurement for good in pvp.

Hunters top KB's because they have the best execute in the game.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    This isn't CoD, Killing blows are not the measurement for good in pvp.

Hunters top KB's because they have the best execute in the game.
    What's your view on good PvP measuring in WoW for BGs? Damage done, team player who helps the team win?

Quote Originally Posted by Annesh View Post
    I dunno about anyone else, but I'm terrified of nerfs right now.
    Yeaa.. no. Several specs will get nerfed in pvp before shadow even gets touched. Shadow is very viable but not in the top tier. I'd consider the spec balanced.
    <inactive>

I have two shadow Priests at level 100 now, so i do play them pve/pvp wise. And played em' since wotlk, so I do know a few tricks here and there. Anyhow.
    I comepletely agree with Annesh, when it comes to SP as it stands right now.
    There are a few thing I'd like to mention aswell.
    I've had a few runs with Sp in arena wich is abit rough against double dps combos, the reason for this is that if they know what they are doing they can completely ruin the match for you almost instantly. So for arenas I'd recommend to get a partner that are able to relieve stress of your character in ways of cc/heals etc, or someone that can force them off you. Also make sure that they wont be able to intterupt you henche you have to fake cast. Fake casting is crucial for any caster class, and I rearly see a dps that fake casts.
    If you manage to survive thourgh the opener etc you should manage to dish out decent amount of damage.

Shadow Priests are insanely strong in duels and Bg's. I'll throw out a few tips, and what I do when I play on my shadow priest(s).
    You should allways keep your shield up when it's off CD, it's simply a must. I'd also recommend that you get the "Glyph of Reflective Shield". It's just to strong to ignore.
    I'd also recommend glyph of mind blast, since it sometimes snares it's nice to create some room so you get time to reapply VT/SWP.
    When it comes to the dispersion glyph I use the reduced cd one, buy you might aswell just take the move speed one. This is just a matter of personal preference I guess.
    Also, I don't use feathers. Since druids/dks and other annoying classes can pretty much slow you when they want I kinda prefer to use the Phantasm talent, again what you want to take of these is just a matter of personal preference.
    Twist of fate is also a must.

When it comes to your play style in bgs, just dot everything up and siwch to people with little HP and spam MB/SWD as often as you can. Throw out your DP's as soon as you are able to.
    Well, it's a pretty vauge discription but it should give you an idea of what you should do. But then again this is things that you learn over experience than someone telling you what to do :P
    Also, if you keep people dotted up all the time your VE will be really strong. When you use VE make sure than you throw out MB/SWD as often as you can since it heals on single target abilities.

Duels are pretty much similar but it's pretty much all about keeping your distance to the target and keeping them dotted up.
    How to go about duels are something you'll figure out of personal exp. Then again make sure you use your shield as often as you can, and don't waste dispersion, it's ideal to pop it when they are about to burst you.
    Also one quick DP tip, I'd recommend using it once you've taken some damage since it'll heal you. And don't be afraid to use it for execution regardless if it's bg/duels.

TL;DR Shadow priests require knowledge and you kinda need to know when to do what. It's not some class you can smash your face against the keyboard and exspect to do good *cough*Paladins*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Theed View Post
    Yeaa.. no. Several specs will get nerfed in pvp before shadow even gets touched. Shadow is very viable but not in the top tier. I'd consider the spec balanced.
    Awesome, I'm wrecking faces in bgs so it's good to know that's not because the spec is OP.

spriests are great as long as you know how to get away from melee atm.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    11. Don't fucking roll a hunter. Stick with Shadow, it's definitely at a high point right now.
    To finnish that off, perfectly said Annesh.

Awesome, I'm wrecking faces in bgs so it's good to know that's not because the spec is OP.
    You shouldn't factor in BGs as balance measure. 50% are bots, 40% are undergeared or new players and 10% are actual pvp players.
    <inactive>

Deleted
    Yes, dominating random BGs means very little. A quick method to demonstrate this is by just going outside of Stormwind / Orgrimmar or your Garrison. Suddenly 1500 - 1700 rated players feel like gods in duels, if random BG domination was all a player did before.

I haven't played shadow since classic, and I stopped for a reason: it was too frustrating for me to not be able to stop players who try to run away.

Is it any better at the moment? Can Shadow Priests force a duel until someone dies, can they prevent others from just running away? Talking about WPVP like situations and not about rogues, cause no one can stop them from getting away.

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    Yes, dominating random BGs means very little. A quick method to demonstrate this is by just going outside of Stormwind / Orgrimmar or your Garrison. Suddenly 1500 - 1700 rated players feel like gods in duels, if random BG domination was all a player did before.

I haven't played shadow since classic, and I stopped for a reason: it was too frustrating for me to not be able to stop players who try to run away.

Is it any better at the moment? Can Shadow Priests force a duel until someone dies, can they prevent others from just running away? Talking about WPVP like situations and not about rogues, cause no one can stop them from getting away.
    Not a big deal anymore. If someone tries to escape, 3 Orb Horror him. With feathers you are faster than most specs.
    <inactive>

Annesh, Fade -

Thank you for your advice. But how do you guys deal with hunters? I mean hunters as geared as yourselves - not some poor schmuck with item level 620.

In my experience, hunters just do tremendous damage which cannot be reduced in any meaningful way by anything other than killing them. Which means you just have to out-DPS them, which is difficult because their CC does stop your damage, but your CC does not stop theirs.

Their CC stops your damage because the damage output of an SPriest is largely limited by time. Your CC does not stop their damage because (1) their DPS is largely limited by focus, and (2) half of it comes from the pet, anyway. CC-ing a hunter just gives them time for their focus bar to fill up, which they can then promptly unload on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theed View Post
    Yea, but looking back to MoP. Did we deserve to get nerfed into the ground back then? I don't think so, don't be to sure we'll stay balanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post

SPriests are great in duels now. I can beat most classes and specs. I think feral, enhancement and mage gives me the most trouble. You can't really stop anyone from running away unless you have the Mind Blast glyph that roots them when it crits, but no class can outrun you since you have angelic feather (except rogue like you said).