Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    140h played, finished the game. Would buy again. 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    IMO, this game has the best turn based combat in genre (and 2nd best overall, I'd rank X-COM ahead of it).
    No, you really can't mean that. XCOM was the fast food version of turn-based combat that looked and played like it was designed for a tablet. It played more like a turn-based cover shooter.

That said, it could be a decent pick if you wanted to introduce someone to the genre. It's fairly simple and straightforward and doesn't have any additional layers beyond move and shoot. However, the research side of things could turn people away.

Deleted
    No, it's not boring. It's great. Due to effects and how both allies and enemies use them, you need to think 3-4 turns ahead as any move may cost the life of a party member. Also, from time to time different enemies do stuff that surprise you and that makes you have to rethink the entire strategy.
    Is it slow? Well, at certain times it is, simply because of the fact that you need to think your moves a few moves ahead it means you can sit there a while, especially for boss battles. I had to sit fighting the socerer king for an hour until I managed to kill him. But it was fun and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    I found the combat fine but the exploration and need to literally check every single object was mind-blowingly dull. It's labelled as an absence of hand-holding but placing plot-specific items in the most random, non-sensicle areas which can easily be missed simply by lacking obsessive compulsive disorder or autism is not an "absence of hand-holding."

Instead, they should've considered what is a fun experience. I want to play an RPG not an alley cat simulator.

After that I lost interest. A game has to be very special to get away with doing stuff like that and this game isn't that special.
    Yes, well, it does have a mini-tutorial, not their fault you didn't bother to read anything in it. The ALT key highlights everything in your visual sight. So if you missed stuff on the ground, it's your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yes, well, it does have a mini-tutorial, not their fault you didn't bother to read anything in it. The ALT key highlights everything in your visual sight. So if you missed stuff on the ground, it's your own fault.
    Er, you completely missed my point. I didn't miss the tutorial, I didn't forget to read it, and I know exactly how to highlight objects. My point is that this is not compelling gameplay.

I should not need to click on every little object I come across in case by chance there's a plot-specific item in there. Container highlighting doesn't alter that, the function just makes it easier to not miss anything, you still need to click on everything you come across and search meticulously through numerous containers all the freaking time.

I wanted to play an RPG not whack-a-mole on containers. Every CRPG has this to an extent but not to this degree, and they at least have their age as a defence. I cannot say I ever missed out on a plot-specific item in BG-1, -2, -TOB, Torment or IWD2 because I didn't wanton check containers lol.
    Last edited by Aqueous; 2014-12-31 at 02:45 PM.

It's not an action adventure game masked as an RPG, it's an RPG. Some people just do not like that sort of gameplay and it's fine, for those who do the game is absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous
    exploration and need to literally check every single object was mind-blowingly dull. It's labelled as an absence of hand-holding but placing plot-specific items in the most random, non-sensicle areas which can easily be missed simply by lacking obsessive compulsive disorder or autism is not an "absence of hand-holding."
    Sounds like issue with character build to me, not with game itself.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    No, you really can't mean that. XCOM was the fast food version of turn-based combat that looked and played like it was designed for a tablet. It played more like a turn-based cover shooter.

That said, it could be a decent pick if you wanted to introduce someone to the genre. It's fairly simple and straightforward and doesn't have any additional layers beyond move and shoot. However, the research side of things could turn people away.
    I completely disagree. I enjoy the use of the environment and the use of high and low ground in addition to use of flanking positional play

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I completely disagree. I enjoy the use of the environment and the use of high and low ground in addition to use of flanking positional play
    Yet it misses most of the basic features previous XCOM games had like base-assaults, larger teams, further specified mission types, AIMED FUCKING SHOTS and the action point system is far too simplistic and heavily reliant on RNG %

Look at Silent Storm for proper 3D tactical team-turn based game. It got all you mentioned + tons of more including fully physics based and destructible enviroment, larger teams, far more tactical options, ability to properly gear your characters from ground up, interactivity with enviroment items and more.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2014-12-31 at 03:37 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Yet it misses most of the basic features previous XCOM games had like base-assaults, larger teams, further specified mission types, AIMED FUCKING SHOTS and the action point system is far too simplistic and heavily reliant on RNG %
    Well I enjoyed it the most. Anyway, Divinity: OS has really good turn based combat as well. I wasn't too thrilled with the questing but the combat is top notch (if you like turn based combat).

Having two characters really felt odd. Two is just the wrong number. My characters banter back and forth at each other and I am controlling their conversations, s'like I am arguing with myself and losing??? Now, if I could build three characters then two could tame the wild one, or the wild one could take the other two on a ride, or one could be the voice of reason in a murderous triumvirate, but two... meh one thinks one thing one thinks the other I play with a slider bar and it decides randomly who wins, or both parrot each other like their part of a hive mind. Not really compelling party makeup.

I know there are other party members, but I didn't build them, so inherently they are flawed to my team composition and just as many people are obsessive about exploring every nook and cranny, I am obsessive about perfect team coordination.

Or just let me be one character.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

It is deserving of GotY, but it was a weak year overall. It may have come in 2nd or 3rd against some other years. I've played through it 2 full times -- one solo and one fully with a friend. Definitely better with 2-player co-op (it really was designed to play this way). The beginning of the game is incredibly slow, and i bet some of the people that quit early would really like the later game. If it seems slow and/or easy turn up difficulty and it makes your actions much more strategic and meaningful. Or an alternative to speeding things up (at the cost of storyline) is go double lone wolf.

Deleted
    I don't generally like turn based combat, yet I loved Original Sin, my game of the year.