Lightbulb A question about trinkets for Blood DK

Hello,

I actually made an account just so I could ask this question, but it was high time anyway seeing as I read these forums daily

So today I got my first heroic Highmaul raid mission and guess what I won! Hurray. However, the reward I got was not as exciting. I got Bottle of Infesting Spores heroic warforged -.- the stats are: +277 str, +163 crit and +163 vers. Now my question is, if the trinket that I got is better than Knight`s Badge which has +229 armour and a chance to proc 1396 crit. I know that some of our best stats are; bonus armour, strength, mastery and multistrike, I just want to make some use of the trinket, it really makes me sad knowing that I might not have any use for the trinket, unless I want to go dps instead of main tanking in my guild.

I can`t link my armory yet, but it`s Patroclas - Auchindoun - EU

I hope someone on this forum can help a fellow DK out
    Happy new year!

I'd stick with more defensive trinkets until you get the bosses on farm, unless you feel you can sacrifice some defense for more damage. Don't forget that versatility reduces damage a bit as well. It might not hurt to equip one dps trinket such as the one you won in order to beat enrages or whatever. In the end its up to you and the strength of your heals/dps.

I would definitely go with the bottle over Knight's badge.

The crit proc is literally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Powarf View Post
    I would definitely go with the bottle over Knight's badge.

The crit proc is literally useless.
    They hotfixed crit procs to provide parry like static crit does.

the stats are: +277 str, +163 crit and +163 vers. Now my question is, if the trinket that I got is better than Knight`s Badge which has +229 armour and a chance to proc 1396 crit.
    Personally, I would say use Knight's badge during progression fights. The bonus armor is sooo valuable. And switch to the other during farm bosses or even normal if you are doing that. Str does give more healing and crit increases parry chances + vers smooth things out abit, but the bonus armor really helps you more to reduce inc. dmg.

But try both and see what feels best for you, the end goal is afterall to smooth the incoming damage and be able to have your health under control and if the oppurtunity allows, as much dmg done as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Knight's Badge is a very useful defensive trinket; constant BA is a smooth and continuous dmg reduc, plus the crit proc is about 10% parry iirc. Spores is a better dps trinket, but that large amount of str will make up the phys reduction in overall healing done by Death Strike, I believe; however, with down-time a real issue (Unless you have a good grasp on Plague-Leech), it'd probably not be as potent as Knight's Badge. imo, take the higher ilvl if it's greater than 15+. If not, I'd probably keep Knight's Badge for progression fights.

Use the bottle

STR > BA

Thanks for the replies!

I did some testing last night in Higmual normal and I felt way squishier with the Bottle of Infesting Spores than I did with Knight`s Badge. However I did see my damage raised with the Bottle instead of Knight`s. So as mentioned before by you guys I can safely use the Bottle on farm if more dps is needed, but will stick with the Kight`s Badge for progression.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zAFierCe View Post
    Use the bottle

STR > BA
    That's very debatable. Both STR and BA give attack power, but fallen crusader and the stats buff amplify str better. Hard to argue with the value of static physical damage reduction, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chibichibiko View Post
    That's very debatable. Both STR and BA give attack power, but fallen crusader and the stats buff amplify str better. Hard to argue with the value of static physical damage reduction, though.
    It isn't just str vs ba, but 48 more str vs ba. str wins. it's also 163 crit+163 vers passive vs. an average of like 200 crit from the badge, keeping in mind that not only does passive beat random proc but vers. also beats crit.

bottle is miles above, it isn't even close

My point was about strength and bonus armor, not trinkets--and I think my point is still valid. They both offer 1 attack power, Bonus armor provides more defensive % damage reduction per point, armor reduces all physical damage (while parry doesn't help with any physical damage that can't be parried) and the % that bonus armor adds onto is already higher (adding 1% to an existing 50% damage reduction is better than adding 1% to a 20% DR). Bonus armor is a better defensive stat than strength, and the fact that fallen crusader and stats can amplify strength by as much as 25% is the only thing that keeps the debate alive, but there we're going back to static vs. proc. Str is the better offensive stat than bonus armor, though. However, bonus armor on a piece of gear costs less item budget than strength, so it will appear in greater quantities by 15-20% (reference 670 knight's badge vs. Tectus' Beating Heart).

I would, however, agree that the bottle is the better trinket (even defensively), but that's largely accounting for the proc on the knight's badge being so undesirable and 37 ilvls of difference.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind our active mitigation actually scales with attack power now, for that reason alone strength is a pretty good stat. Strength still gives parry, and in equal numbers is going to give far more attack power than bonus armor does. Fallen crusader, armor proficiency, 5% stat buff all propel strength a lot higher than bonus armor in attack power, especially when you start to factor in flat % AP boosts from raid buffs and our mastery.

Bonus armor is still an amazing stat, but strength shouldn't be be overlooked at all. It's benefit isn't solely increased damage output.

Normally the discussion will usually come down to what the item has for a proc or a secondary. Personally, I don't really like long ICD crit procs like knight's badge.

The crit proc from Knight's Badge is awful. Trinkets with ICD procs are usually awful for tanks because non-on-demand survivability is often wasted.

This is why active mitigation became a thing, because being able to control when and how you mitigate damage versus randomly mitigating certain damage proved to be much more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by chibichibiko View Post
    ...However, bonus armor on a piece of gear costs less item budget than strength, so it will appear in greater quantities by 15-20% (reference 670 knight's badge vs. Tectus' Beating Heart).
    Not going to disagree with the rest of the post, but I don't think this is correct. STR only competes with BA on trinkets, and for trinkets they seem to be worth the same.

Compare Toria's Unseeing Eye to Fires of the Sun. Both have +159 multistrike and +159 BA / STR, which suggests STR and BA cost the same in terms of ilvl. This isn't the only example, but it's the most unambiguous one. Deviations from it look to me like just more of the extreme confusion recently displayed over the stats on many trinkets (for example, my priest's Winged Hourglass is still tragically underbudget, while its Everburning Candle is overbudget; both equally confusing). The way that some procs are weighted also adds to the confusion (as in the case of Knight's Badge vs. Tectus' Beating Heart).
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2015-01-04 at 01:38 PM.