Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I change guild?

First of all I'm kinda new to posting here on mmo-champion so move it if it's in the wrong place.

I'm currently in a guild and we had our issues getting imperator HC down so i puged it a tuesday because we had no more raids that week.

Managed to kill it without a problem after joining a group throu the LFD tool. Did same thing with Butcher HC the first week where we also struggled.

Now we managed to get Imperator HC down with like 7 puged people because people was tired of wiping and wanted to cheese the mechanics with way to many healers to make it easier.

We're gonna enter mythic After the holidays is over. And to behonest I don't think we will do well in there.

Throu the holidays when we where having a break. Me and a friend started a pug with random people from trade on our server and managed to get Both Kargath and Twins mythic down.

I wanna raid hardcore and got the feeling most of the people in the guild just wanna raid for fun and not taking it as serious as me and another friend.

So my question is do you think we should move to another guild with same mindset as us. Because we're not okey with just having HC on farm and want to get further.

We were gonna wait until Twins mythic progress to see how we do there because It's almost only your own fault if you die there.

But with Black rock foundry coming out it feels safer to find a stable guild with same mindset before even the raid is out to come anywhere with raiding.

Thoughts on this? We're having a hard time to decide. Most of us knows eachother in real life. And just started a guild at the launch of WoD to see how far we could actually get in Highmaul.
    Last edited by jaolin; 2015-01-02 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaolin View Post
    Thoughts on this? We're having a hard time to decide. Most of us knows eachother in real life. And just started a guild at the launch of WoD to see how far we could actually get in Highmaul.
    This is the only point of contention in your entire post which might indicate that leaving your guild isn't the right thing to do and you leave it until the last sentence? Kind of setting yourself up for a one-sided argument there if you ask me.

OT: Basically what I'm taking away from this is that there is a disconnect between what you want and what the idea of the guild was originally. Digging past the misleading structure of your post, basically what you are saying here is that you and a few friends who you know in real life threw together a guild to "see what could happen" and that has worked out well for you guys so far.

The problem is that you and your friend have got a taste of what it's like to be "serious" and "competitive" and now want to leave your friends high and dry (no offense) so you can go off and be the best whateverclass you can be.

Now there is no problem with that, but you gotta start by being honest to yourself and to your friends. They didn't let you down, they wanted to see how far they could get as a group of friends. It's abundantly clear (or should be) that one man playing alone can go further than a group of friends which are only as strong as the weakest member - so it really comes down to a simple choice.

Why are you playing wow right now?

A. To play with friends? Then stay where you are, keep running pugs and chill out.
    B. To be the best (like no one ever was)? Then let your friends know you are bored doing what you are doing and want to be more serious about raiding and move up to another guild. But beware, it's lonely at the top.

Well for most of the people in the guild it's their first time raiding and both me and my friend raided most things together since Wotlk not super "hardcore" but a few hc kills there and there and some cutting edge before we quit the game for a while. So it's not like this was our first time tasting the "serious" and "competetive" way of raiding as i forgot to point out.

I don't know if I got the patience to wait for people to actually Learn how to raid and after talking with some of the members it seems like they just wanna have fun and kill whatever we can kill. And that's a okey mindset for me but not what i was looking for.

And since we don't have the same mindset about raiding it feels like it will crash one day ending up with multiple people leaving or just a dissband..
    Last edited by jaolin; 2015-01-02 at 03:40 AM.

From my experience there is only drama if there are different mindset in the same raid group, dont tie yourself to your friends if you want to do serious progress and they dont.

I don't know if I got the patience to wait for people to actually Learn how to raid and after talking with some of the members it seems like they just wanna have fun and kill whatever we can kill. And that's a okey mindset for me but not what i was looking for.

And since we don't have the same mindset about raiding it feels like it will crash one day ending up with multiple people leaving or just a dissband..
    This is probably something you could have worked out before you started raiding with them, but if thats how you feel then I dont really see how this is much of a choice.

This type of topic comes up quite a bit on forums, and ultimately you have to do what's best for you. Reading your comments it looks like you already know what you want.

Simple solution:

Find a guild to cover your "raid needs" and when things settle down raid wise/progress wise or when there is free time, raid with your friends on an alt.

Its what i would do, and if these "friends" are actually friends and not just familiars you decided to have a guild with then it shouldnt be an issue.

I raided super hardcore in vanilla. But then life caught up to me and I had to scale down. Since then I have been playing in "friends&family" guilds. Doing a bit of raiding here and there. I have the same struggle all the time. More casual players have less ambitions, will not put in the effort to excel, and in general has no interest in pushing for the last bit.

In my opinion the difficulty setting made it much worse. In TBC you had these friends&family guilds pick themselves up so they could complete BT. In wrath, they were fine with 10-man normals. Because a lot of the driving force behind these players is to see the content and have fun. It makes no difference if they do it on the hardest difficulty or if they cruise at just below.
    I actually think the flexible normal+heroic raid sizes will make this much more common. Casual guilds will do normal+heroic and then try to dip into mythic and quickly give up. Not just because it is harder, but because the 20-man fixed size is a bit hurdle to cross.

If you want to complete mythic, you HAVE to be in a guild with that purpose on top of the agenda. Or prepare yourself with a lot of patience.

When you are incompatible with your team because of goals / skill / personality you should strongly think about making the change.

How many nights does your current guild raid? If they're only a couple of nights, bring up an alt to raid with them and relax, and transfer your main to a limited time hardcore guild who can give you the harder content you're looking for. That way all your needs are met.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    How many nights does your current guild raid? If they're only a couple of nights, bring up an alt to raid with them and relax, and transfer your main to a limited time hardcore guild who can give you the harder content you're looking for. That way all your needs are met.
    We raid 3 days a week. That's what I'm currently thinking about.

Deleted
    Here's what you asked for, my opinion:

And it is yes.

/thread

... Seriously though, if you can spare the thought of having some flame from them, just let them go. If they're your real friends and close when considering that then stay and have fun together, even if it's not, try to make it fun for yourself.

As someone said earlier, being at the top, feels good for a while but it is lonely and after some time, it gets worse.

Best bit is, you're done with progress sooner than anyone else and will have time for other stuff, maybe just log 1 night a week afterwards. But if you're the kind of person... that likes showing off a lot and just boosting your ego, heck go for it. Get your stuff, have your "fun" and camp cities the rest of the patch.

if you really want to leave a tip would be try and stay for a kargath and possibly twins kill and you will have a way easier time finding a new guild

change guild since you feel that that guild is dragging you down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gear an alt and stick that with your friends. If most of them are just in it for fun, get the raid days changed to something that would suit you in between your other guilds raid times.

If you don't have time to raid what would be 6-7 days a week between two guilds, then you need to decide what is more important to you. The friendships (Because, let's face it, we don't know how your friends will react.) Or slightly quicker boss kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    if you really want to leave a tip would be try and stay for a kargath and possibly twins kill and you will have a way easier time finding a new guild
    he already has kargath and twins down. guess you missed that part :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    You maybe missed that part but i've already killed those bosses with rnadom people from trade on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Gear an alt and stick that with your friends. If most of them are just in it for fun, get the raid days changed to something that would suit you in between your other guilds raid times.

If you don't have time to raid what would be 6-7 days a week between two guilds, then you need to decide what is more important to you. The friendships (Because, let's face it, we don't know how your friends will react.) Or slightly quicker boss kills.
    This is what i most likely will do I feel right now.

I wanna raid hardcore and got the feeling most of the people in the guild just wanna raid for fun and not taking it as serious as me and another friend.

to keep it short - yes u should leave the guild and u should leave it asap - your and guilds goals are clearly different and if u tried tyo push people into more hardcore appreach that thay dont want to take eveyrbody would feel miserably - keep alts in there if u like them but say it openly that u are leaving cause u want more hardcore approach.

People play the game for different reasons [fun, progression, likable raid team, mythic loot]. Your goals don't seem to align. Can't tell you which mindset is right or wrong, really just a matter of opinion. Personally I forego the progression because I have a group of likable guildies. Used to do the hardcore thing in my earlier years, not worth it to me now. Do whatever you think is the most fun, it's a game after all.