Thread: Fix My DPS

Fix My DPS

I looked around and couldn't find a 'Fix My DPS' thread, so if I missed it, I apologize, and could this be moved to the right place?

I am trying to improve my DPS from being in the average ~70th percentile, to the 90th. I don't know a single WW, but do know that I should be doing better. I am new to WW, and DPSing at that.
    Here's some logs for the past week. The more detailed/explanation that I get, the better and I will VERY much appreciate it. Trying my best to improve as much as possible.

The Butcher
    Brackenspore
    Tectus
    Twin Ogron
    Ko'ragh

And here is a log from a few fight last night (after trying to improve some, and getting some gear).

My ilvl is 657. And here is a link to my armory.
    any suggestions/tips/constructive criticism to help me improve is very much appreciated!!

Deleted
    Only watched the butcher fight and i can see that ur auto attacks is #1 of your damage done and i think that means that u arent using bok and fof enough. Your TP uptime was 84% which should be close to 100%. So use more BoK and FoF and keep the TP up all the time and ur dps should increase

Just looking at Tectus so far.

Your Tiger Power uptime should be 95%+, it was 78% for you.

Not enough Fists of Fury in general, you should be using it off CD, provided TP/RSK won't drop.

You didn't ChiEX enough that fight, you should be using 4 chi explosions for most of the Tectus fight, you had 21 casts, I had 26 casts that fight in a minute shorter fight.

Spinning Crane Kick should be used in the final mote phases of this fight as well as a chi builder.

Just keep practicing!

Deleted
    From looking at Butcher (as it is patchwerk) I can say some stuff, in addition to the "FoF more!" stated above.

You should attempt to stack buffs better, particularly on the opener. You used Serenity before stacking 10 TeB and popping, and used your first FoF after your prepot had ended. In fact none of your Serenities were used when you had TeB up, which is a big dps loss. Your second potion was used exactly as BL started, which is fine, but if you had delayed it by 15s you could have had it up with TeB as well (and again, Serenity (c/sh)ould have been used during this).

Looking at your Twin Ogron log from warcraftlogs (yay warcraftlogs!); did you use TeB before you got to 10 stacks at the start? If not you were very lucky with mastery! It's nice to have it up for the first FoF, but I would rather wait with FoF until getting 10 stacks (which is no time at all if you just spam 4 Chi ChiExs until you get 10 stacks) than "waste" some TeB stacks.
    You seem to also be giving too high a priority to Chi Wave - it simply isn't that good. I can think of any situation where I would use Chi Wave 4 seconds into a pull on any boss. Use it on -1s (ie. before the end of the pull timer because travel time) if you can, and after that use it as filler when waiting for energy for Jab.

Fix these things though, and you seem to have the right idea. You aren't wasting energy from Energizing Brew, and your TP uptime seems a lot better in the second log (although 100% is possible and you should strive for it!). Get good WeakAuras to track your debuffs, and practice practice practice!

As an aside, it's worth taking into consideration when thinking about percentiles that you maybe shouldn't be at 90% on every fight. Are there fights where you don't aoe in your guild, but where other monks in other guilds do? Are you using BL on 30% on The Butcher heroic? Then you can't compete with monks in guilds that BL at the start. How fast are your guild's kills? Etc etc. Your gear is also currently a fair bit lower than what is available (in particular LOTS of monks out there have double Mythic Bladefists, grr), and you have a lot of mastery pieces and no Scales of Doom. The best way to think about whether you are where you should be is to go and SIM yourself, or do just what you have and come and ask for advice!
    Last edited by mmoc4c4ca01fa3; 2015-01-04 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skulldelight View Post
    Just looking at Tectus so far.

Your Tiger Power uptime should be 95%+, it was 78% for you.

Not enough Fists of Fury in general, you should be using it off CD, provided TP/RSK won't drop.

You didn't ChiEX enough that fight, you should be using 4 chi explosions for most of the Tectus fight, you had 21 casts, I had 26 casts that fight in a minute shorter fight.

Spinning Crane Kick should be used in the final mote phases of this fight as well as a chi builder.

Just keep practicing!
    Tiger Power should only be high if your running a Serenity build. Chex builds don't see as great of a benefit from Tiger Power so really the only time you should be casting TP is when it's free and save the Chi for Chex. In this case the fact that he was using TP so much was contributing to his lower dps not helping it. Also with the Chex build, you don't cast RSK on CD but only to maintain the buff. That's 2 Chi that could have been every 15 sec that could have been spent on Chex doing even more damage. So on Tectus, he's spending Chi on things other than Chex when he didn't need too. That said there were several times (5 to be exact) where he went from 5 to 6 chi. That means two things; one he was in melee range (ok he might have expel harm to get it but he didn't) and two he had time to cast either Chex or FoF. That is nothing but a waste of energy to only get one Chi.

The one thing on the Tectus fight I also noticed was health. Deaths do nothing to help your dps so paying attention and not standing in the crystalline barrage will increase your dps. As seen he did get a brez eventually but it wasn't until the first split which cost him about 30 seconds worth of up time. Fort brew could have also been used during when he almost died the second time as well. If you factor out the downtime for the death you would have picked up 2.5K dps overall for that fight maybe even more if you factor in the lack of a food buff for 90% of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Limepls View Post
    Looking at your Twin Ogron log from warcraftlogs (yay warcraftlogs!); did you use TeB before you got to 10 stacks at the start?
    I had TeB left from the trash and used Chi Brew to keep it up and use it as a 'prepot' on the pull (unless I was ascension, then we just pulled really quick after trash haha)

- - - Updated - - -

I really appreciate all the advice!
    Really wanting to improve and this helps a ton!!

If anyone else has anything, please feel free!

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    I had TeB left from the trash and used Chi Brew to keep it up and use it as a 'prepot' on the pull (unless I was ascension, then we just pulled really quick after trash haha)
    TEB doesn't work that way. When you pull a boss any stacks you have are erased. If you pop TEB before you pull like a prepot, then the buff gets erased when you pull. Use Chi Brew once the fight has started to build stacks since you'll have none, not to keep up the TEB stacks just to lose them.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch