Followers and their visually-equipped gear

Okay ... before today, I had my suspicions that the gear your followers have (visually) equipped changed based on their ilvl. Not all of them, and maybe just their weapons.

But, I had a belf pally I'd mostly left low level working my tailoring building. He used to have something like a spellfire longsword or a blade of wizardy, can't remember which exactly. Hell, maybe at different times he used them both.

But, today I went to finally get him up to 645 ilvl, and I noticed he's wielding Quel'Delar now. I may not remember exactly what he had before, but I am dead certain it was not Quel'Delar. I think his shield is different, too.

Anyway, I haven't seen anything about this anywhere. Anyone else noticed follower gear changing, or is my head playing tricks on me ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Yes, at least their weapons are changing when upgraded.

All i want is to customize their armor and weapon myself... I don't like that Miall, blacksmith/warrior goes around with leather shorts.

Edit: tested it by upgrading 600ilvl weapon follower to 630, nothing changed, upgraded few 630ilvl ones to 645 with no change. But i'm 100% sure that at least my casters got different staff after upgrade! Argh, makes me mad! Does it work only on followers recruited by inn?
    Last edited by mmoc64ace7a841; 2015-01-03 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Yes, at least their weapons are changing when upgraded.

All i want is to customize their armor and weapon myself... I don't like that Miall, blacksmith/warrior goes around with leather shorts.

Edit: tested it by upgrading 600ilvl weapon follower to 630, nothing changed, upgraded few 630ilvl ones to 645 with no change. But i'm 100% sure that at least my casters got different staff after upgrade! Argh, makes me mad! Does it work only on followers recruited by inn?
    I think it might just be random on the follower. I have a troll lock I got from the inn, his gear hasn't changed from level 90 to ilvl 645. The one I mentioned in my first post was from the inn tho.

It seems to be a very small amount of followers who do this at all

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just checked, and the Ka'la (level 100, ilvl 600) on my priest has different daggers than on my main (ilvl 645). So they absolutely do change.

I noticed weapon upgrades at 615, 630 and 645 ilvl - that is the ilvl of the weapon, not the average ilvl - on all of my inn followers, and none of my quest followers so far (I do not use Ka'la, so can't confirm or deny her daggers upgrading; I do, however, have Ulna Thresher, another follower who came as a contract reward from an early garrison mission, and she still has her old weapon at 645). Not sure if they get anything new at 655.

It seems to be a bit visually arbitrary. More often than not the 630 weapon looked cooler and fit their gear better than what they ended up with at 645.

I thought it was only Inn followers who visially changed weapons at 615, 630 and 645 weapon ilvl, the ones that are "built in" via questing or achievements don't change at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    More often than not the 630 weapon looked cooler and fit their gear better than what they ended up with at 645.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly after getting Defender Illona's rep up to Wingman she changed gear into paladin tier. She seems to have lost her weapon and shield though :/
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed Millhouse change his weapon not sure wheter he counts as he's only available via the inn, and Bruma Swiftstone changed her daggers but she's a quest/mission reward and none of the other 'built ins' changed.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2015-01-04 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Honestly after getting Defender Illona's rep up to Wingman she changed gear into paladin tier. She seems to have lost her weapon and shield though :/
    She only has that gear on when accompanying you though, right? IF she's waiting outside the barracks or if you assign a different bodyguard and she's just standing about in your garrison, she reverts to her old season 7 paladin gear. Thats what happens with mine at any rate
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

So weird that it's so random / seemingly arbitrary

Deleted
    Some from the inn dont get visual upgrades and some do... i got soulare of andorhal and his silly items are same at 645... while others are getting some very nice looking stuff! Thats why i love upgrading them do 645 :P

Deleted
    Leeroy forgot to transmog his new shoulders.