Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    The world ends with you, Nintendo gameboy DS. Wasn't expecting much when I got it, now I saw as a reference for what games should have (in a meta game design sense).
    Aha, yes! So underrated it seems like. You have a few amount of people who really like it, but most don't know.

Easily one of the best DS games out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Aha, yes! So underrated it seems like. You have a few amount of people who really like it, but most don't know.

Easily one of the best DS games out there.
    It's up there with the Ace Attorney series to me, and that's saying something. I make sure to put the music from it onto every new mp3 player I get.

Orcs Must Die... got it for like 5 bucks on a Steam sale on a whim and played the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Time for a somewhat oldie:

Kingdom Hearts. I was one of those people who, when I first heard about it, thought it was the dumbest idea possible and would 100% fail.

Then I played it and goddamn.

NEED KH3 NOW PLS.
    Kind of a twist on this but KH2.

Played KH1 thought it was mostly garbage, only finished it for the square/disney charms. The gameplay in that game was straight terrible. Bought KH2 when it was on sale a year after release thinking I might not even finish it, but lo and behold KH2 became one of my favorite games of all time. It helps not having a crappy camera, or crappy platforming that would make mario cry, but the biggest factor was the combat is actually FUN, and fun as hell.

Deleted
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Forced
    Tales of Maj'Eyal
    One Finger Death Punch

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearthstone. When I saw the reveal back in 2013 I had the same reaction most people had, and that was Meh. Its given me a year of fun times, and I still have fun every week with it. Hearthstone would also be my game of the year for 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, WoW was an unexpected hit with me. I saw an ad back in 2008 and was bored so I clicked on it. Been playing ever sense. Sometimes clicking ads pays off!

I had never heard of Blizzard until 2008, and the only pc game I had ever been that into was Peggle before that. I haven't really played on a console much since.

Deleted
    It's been a long time since I was positively surprised by a game, because usually I ask around a lot / do some research before buying stuff. I can approximately guess if I really like or dislike a game. If I'm not convinced that I'll most likely enjoy the game, I don't get it.

Deleted
    Call of Duty 4

expected nothing but another shooter, got thousands of hours out of that game and out of its many mods (Zomdb <3) plus the campaign was badass

WoD surprised me but it was mostly the disappointment in the end-game It also surprised me how important endgame has become post wrath.

Dark Souls 1 and 2.
    I was expecting something so bad it becomes difficult, thus earning the reputation.
    But.
    The gameplay is something that should be seen in more titles.
    The stories are interesting, even if it's not spoken much, or maybe just because of that.

Of course, without forgetting Lords of The Fallen, which I could count as a Souls game, even tho it is not one.

Can't enjoy games like I used to after playing the Souls.
    Last edited by Ghostile; 2015-01-04 at 02:15 PM.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare.
    I searched so long for something that is like ME3 multiplayer and PvZ copied that exactly 1:1, it's so much fun. And the PvP multiplayer is fun, too, i would have never expected that.

Mount and Blade Warband: I got it for like 2 dollars and thought it would suck, was totally wrong.

Torchlight. How can team behind Diablo II create something so awfull is beyond me.

Shadow of Mordor: Thought it would be a bad AC clone, turned out to be better than any AC game XD

Fire Emblem: Awakening. First game I bought for my 3ds after the standard nintendo stuff. Turned out to be one of my favourite RPG's ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow Hearts. Picked Covenant up on a whim back when it was released, had no expectations, and fell in love with it. Loved the first one too, and enjoyed the third in spite of its flaws. The series was kind of crushed by FFX's publicity, but it was great.

Sounds dumb, but Mass Effect 2. Had tried it out on ps3 while sick once, but didn't make it much past 10 minutes as I was getting my butt kicked due to 1) being generally below average on console shooters, 2) it having been quite awhile since I'd played a shooter on console, 3) not realizing I could pause at will, and 4) not realizing I could lower the difficulty. Years later I gave it an actual try on 360 and ended up losing my free time and some money to me2 and 3 and their dlcs. What a great series of games (including me1 if you can handle its wonkiness and piss poor auto save).

The witcher 2 surprised me with how poor the gameplay actually is. The intro tutorial has serious bugs years after release. The runes, while I'm sure they're useful, have names which might mean something to me if I spoke polish (or whatever) but are meaningless otherwise which impedes (IMO) smooth and intuitive gameplay.

Evil Genius & Warlords Battlecry 3. There was a time where I purposely bought games I've never heard of before and were also on sale. Holy hell, those game were so fun and buggy that it got me into modding/messing with coding so that I could keep playing them
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    Gender is irrelevant. Everyone has a penis in video games, and it is measured purely on skill. Mionelol's cock is massive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Dragons Dogma, I usually despise JRPG's but the combat in this was addictive, the story was ok too but it creeped me out when my elderly hunchbacked barbarian warrior was 'raped' by a 14 year old who I gave too many cakes to (Apparently your love interest is whoever had the most approval... even underage NPC's, massive design flaw there). But after puking out my dinner into the nearest bin and promptly throwing said child into the ocean it was ok, just wish they'd thought before forcing a love interest on your character >.<

Deleted
    valkyria chronicles - bought it for its gameplay and positively suprised about the Story they got out of it, same goes for natural doctrine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bioshock Infinite: Burial at sea's story (spoilers!: Both the reveal and ending of 1 and the start and end of 2 had me surprised)
    Infinites original story was surprising aswell but maybe it was due to that twist that I didnt expect such twists in the expansions.