Thread: Vs. Boomkins

Vs. Boomkins

A little story.

Last night a boomkin was attacking the tower in Westfall. I logged in my main to flush him out. Never did fight a boomkin in 1v1 as survival. He was good geared but so was I with epic pvp bow and all.

The moment I attacked him I thought I heard "School is in session" and holy crap did I get SCHOOLED! I attacked him two times and got wrecked. Then I remembered boomkins get instant casts if they get hit by melee attacks, so I put the pet on passive. No use, he wrecked me again. Always finishing the fight at 75% due to healing like a moffo and bursting like a ret with wings up.

Then I left. Omfg! That's it?! Hunters don't stand a chance against boomkins in 1v1?!
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2015-01-04 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    A little story.

Last night a boomkin was attacking the tower in Westfall. I logged in my main to flush him out. Never did fight a boomkin in 1v1 as survival. He was good geared but so was I with pvp bow and all.

The moment I attacked him I thought I heard "School is in session" and holy crap did I get SCHOOLED! I attacked him two times and got wrecked. Then I remembered boomkins get instant casts if they get hit by melee attacks, so I put the pet on passive. No use, he wrecked me again. Always finishing the fight at 75% due to healing like a moffo and bursting like a ret with wings up.

Then I left. Omfg! That's it?! Hunters don't stand a chance against boomkins in 1v1?!
    If they're good, they're certainly a hard one. You can use freezing trap to get more focus/interrupt a cast, and FD to fake a cast, same with camo. And use deterrence when he's in super moonkin form so he doesn't gobble you up so fast and try to out-range him at this time. Other than that... honestly, if they're also smart a boomkin really shouldn't lose to a hunter... Don't let anyone try to say you're doing something super wrong because its just really not in the cards if they're smart at all. Hunters tend to have issues with anything that heals and that they can't kite. Hunter's have a good trickle heal but not a lot of counter-burst after deterrence is down. If we take constant pressure we're pretty healer dependent. that's how they offset the mobility and that sort of thing.

you should use tranq shot to remove there instance proc and rejuv
    counter shot when they use healing toch
    and gg

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken View Post
    If they're good, they're certainly a hard one. You can use freezing trap to get more focus/interrupt a cast, and FD to fake a cast, same with camo. And use deterrence when he's in super moonkin form so he doesn't gobble you up so fast and try to out-range him at this time. Other than that... honestly, if they're also smart a boomkin really shouldn't lose to a hunter... Don't let anyone try to say you're doing something super wrong because its just really not in the cards if they're smart at all. Hunters tend to have issues with anything that heals and that they can't kite. Hunter's have a good trickle heal but not a lot of counter-burst after deterrence is down. If we take constant pressure we're pretty healer dependent. that's how they offset the mobility and that sort of thing.
    I see...So it's a no go if the boomkin knows what he's doing. Oh well at least there aren't that many boomkins in pvp and they get countered by melee (except warriors).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom91 View Post
    you should use tranq shot to remove there instance proc and rejuv
    counter shot when they use healing toch
    and gg
    Dude, I did think about tranq something but he had like 4 or 5 removable buffs. No way I was going to get exactly what I needed unless I was doing nothing but tranq while he was nuking my ass, this isn't like arena where I can get heals while I peel stuff off of him.

I see...So it's a no go if the boomkin knows what he's doing. Oh well at least there aren't that many boomkins in pvp and they get countered by melee (except warriors).

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, I did think about tranq something but he had like 4 or 5 removable buffs. No way I was going to get exactly what I needed unless I was doing nothing but tranq while he was nuking my ass, this isn't like arena where I can get heals while I peel stuff off of him.
    Glyph of Solace -> freezing trap and tranq shot spam.

Quote Originally Posted by rauta View Post
    Doesn't tranq shot turn on your autoshot and break the trap?

Doesn't tranq shot turn on your autoshot and break the trap?
    No it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boomkins are about the hardest and have been for a while. Pop roar of sacrifice when they have 'ramped' up to weather the damage as much as possible. Its super important to break as many casts of starfall as possible I have found. Use exp trap + binding shot, freeze trap, FD, camo, shadowmeld (if ne) and also try to range kite them if they cast starfall then jump out of their 40yd range and go back in range. Detterence crap if you need to but have it macro'd to a cancel aura as a good boomkin will switch to healing touch the second you pop det. Save counter shot for healing touch unless you really really need to interrupt something else. It's a difficult fight I haven't tried vs boomkin as sv but MM can take em out pretty sweet if you get some crits and line up burst to pressure them. Tbh I really need more practice vs good boomkins in wod. Its really doable but if you make a fuck up a good boomkin can punish you pretty hard for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, melee in general aren't that hard even for an inexperienced pvper like myself. You know armor and those instant casts Rogues and DKs are annoying cause they have a lot of defensive CDs. For me the bigger issue were casters cause boomkins lack magic defence and we have only 1 small CD - barkskin (tho with a glyph it's decent for PvP). But frost mages still hurt a lot. Also the healers are an issue cause we just don't have reliable set of interrupts. Only Paladins were killable for me.

Ofc, I am not a PvPer really. Just done some arenas to boost my PvE gear few 2 PvP items I assume experienced moonkin might have different feelings about the topic

No it doesn't.
    TIL, that is very useful pvp info

Yeah, in wich case you've spammed yourself to no focus and have to use some Cobra shots, very likely to give him instant shots right back before you can do damage again. Lets not pretend its so simple xD

Especially if he didn't pop CDs right away, after that you're not going to be pressuring him whatsoever and he'd likely have his way with you. Maybe if purge wasn't 20 focus it'd be a bit more doable and still be able to pressure them but having to ramp up for several seconds after purging everything (including his instants) then him getting the instant casts right back isn't exactly a viable option. If you use all your focus on purges you'll never do enough damage to kill him.

Building up focus again he'll certainly get more instant casts on you, which will hurt, and if you do manage to get him low he'll probably just displacer beast and dash away and heal if his cenarion ward/rejuv doesn't keep you at bay long enough on its own. Starsurge is also instant regardless of procs and can hit fairly hard.

Very interesting seeing this topic.

Having just recently got into arena on my Boomkin, I found Hunters to be laughably easy to kill, more or less considering them a free death unless backed up by a strong healer. I was surprised to find out that a lot of other classes really hated dealing with them though, so I guess it's just a boomkin thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrahim View Post
    Very interesting seeing this topic.

Having just recently got into arena on my Boomkin, I found Hunters to be laughably easy to kill, more or less considering them a free death unless backed up by a strong healer. I was surprised to find out that a lot of other classes really hated dealing with them though, so I guess it's just a boomkin thing.
    Yep. Can't kite boomkin, can't outdps boomkin, can't outheal (lol) boomkin.

Seems to me hunter vs. boomkin is the same as hunter vs. mage where the mage is basically free hk for any hunter.