Power Strikes Cooldown?

I'm not sure how power strikes cooldown works. I tried to set up a weak aura for it with a 15 second ICD, but it appears that it comes up more frequently than 15 seconds. Is there something i'm missing?

It doesn't appear to be a 15 second timer, or it stacks? Does haste affect it?

Could anyone clarify? Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

Deleted
    From what little I know it refreshes every 15 seconds, so if you use it just before a 'tick' it will refresh really quickly. It's not 15s from last use, it is 15second intervals (server time or what ever).

Deleted
    That is what I understood too. You simply get a fresh one every 15 seconds, whether you use it or not.

It has a pulsing timer that resets it every 15 sec, regardless of your interaction with it. If you happen to use it 14 sec after it resets, it'll reset again 1 second later. If you use it at 7 sec after reset, it'll reset 8 sec later, and so on.

Makes it kinda tricky to track, but it will always be between 1 and 15 sec after your last use. I could probably make a weakaura for it, come to think of it, but it'd be a tricky one.

Same as Healing Elixirs, it refreshes if you use it or not. If you use it right before it's about to refresh, you can use it again right after and essentially get 2 extra chi in 2 GCDs, or with Healing Elixirs 30% HP in 2 GCDs. I have Healing Elixirs tracked in TMW for that reason. I'd track Power Strikes too but... I'd never use that over Chi Brew and at a push, Ascension.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2015-01-05 at 12:00 AM.

Ah so this is similar to how rogues energy used to work. Any way to track the timer on it?

You should be able to track the ICD - I think this is the correct spell ID: wowhead.com/spell=129914

I don't have access to computer right now, but the way to track the PS cooldown is to start a 15 second timer from the appearance of the PS buff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Same as Healing Elixirs, it refreshes if you use it or not. If you use it right before it's about to refresh, you can use it again right after and essentially get 2 extra chi in 2 GCDs, or with Healing Elixirs 30% HP in 2 GCDs. I have Healing Elixirs tracked in TMW for that reason. I'd track Power Strikes too but... I'd never use that over Chi Brew and at a push, Ascension.
    While I thought this as well, I saw several Mistweavers using Power Strikes for Mythic content/progression. I tried it myself yesterday and I was overwhelmed by Power Strikes - I won't change back to Brew or Ascension anymore.

1) it feels much easier to pop several Uplifts/EvM with Power Strikes. If I want to EvM two targets, e.g. the soakers in the Nullification Barrier on Ko'ragh, or two tanks on Butcher, I can just EvM one, EH a player and soon EvM the 2nd Tank. Ofc this is doable with Brew as well - but not as often as with Power Strikes
    2) you gain MUCH more stacks for Tea. I was not able to go oom at all on a fight like Ko'ragh - while going to ~10% mana with Brew/Ascension. I always hit ~16-19 stacks of Tea when reaching <20% mana. You may say "well I don't care if I go oom when the boss is dead - that's how it's supposed to be!" but...
    3) ... you can cast much more Uplifts in general due to a higher Chi generation. I compared my logs with logs from MW using Power Strikes on Twins and they had 50%+ more casts of Uplift, just due to that talent (without PS - with PS). While all other casts are pretty much the same, the amount of Uplifts and the output is significantly higher

Try it!

Just as an update (For those curious)
    I created a Weak Aura for the 15 second internal cool-down, but it was inaccurate since the timer is a world cool-down. I remember rogues having something similar to this, I will check to see if I can do 1 of the following....
    1. Modify the Weakaura for the 15second timer once you've gained the stack of power strikes (This method is not preferred as it will require you to cast a jab and gain a stack before it will begin to track it correctly.
    2. Check with a few of my friends to see if the game has an API to display such a timer. (Also look into an existing addon. I hear Brewmaster Tao might be a good addon for this)

I'm trying to switch from serenity to chi explosion on some fights and i've been trying to do this with power strikes, but it is very hard to keep enough extra chi to guard. Thus, it is very important not to clip the chi gained by power strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by treenicillin View Post
    While I thought this as well, I saw several Mistweavers[...]
    Heh, appreciate the info, but I probably should have mentioned I play WW. I like the on-demand burst capabilities of Chi Brew (only use Ascension as pretty much a requirement with ChiEx), so having extra Chi over with no real control isn't going to be as useful for me.

Deleted
    iirc i saw a thread for a power strikes WA at page 11'ish, titled appropriately. maybe that's what some of you are looking for

This is the WeakAura I use to track Power Strikes' intervals. All it does is detect when you gain the buff, then it makes a 15 second timer. As long as you're using up Power Strikes before the next one pops you'll get an accurate timer for it. (The only one that you won't accurately know when to expect is the 2nd Power Strikes of the fight)

HTML Code:
    dSdYfaGELK0lvrSlOQ2MsmtLeZfImBjUPOkFds)wP2PkSx0Ufz)QK(jPQHbHXPGBlfdvuzWqudhQCqvuNMWXKsNdkTqfYsvsQflkSCQ8qrr6PGhljpxvtuuuMkvnzIA6uUOksxvuexw46kAJkuFMeBMiBxuvFujj(QOOAAsQVRs8ALupJuz0qvgpPOtskClrPRrsNNu6VqXYuPoSunBPNqNEAeEc34JaFS4JsOHGmbz6jOPEjPpmEKff)f1bedTiuRxgqvjOvVK0hghVmO2UOBbfv3Tk69nckLTEHGlue7KxlUGGIBpXr4JIuUTizegP371N3kNo2ti0expjhYCeH0SX7ekkH75rlbHmHCG5eRJRiVkoCek7Um9eMFGPQ0)NG5Mbb3Ue0tOzwmb90OrW6Liz0tOzwmb90OrW1Rc6j0mlMGEA0iuv6)tpHxKukbH80FCcnA0iurppAPNGM6LK(W4yuuu1AD3lyXIOf79WnLYwRsqREjPpmooBnkQoe1lQ1dTldOT6Ou2Avcs7KnU0vEc6Ze)kACCkHYUltpH5hyQk9)5icUDjONqZSyc6PrJW8dmwVejJJiy9sKm6j8IKsj4bkHMzXe0tJgHQs)F6j8IKsjiKN(JtOrW1Rc6j0mlMGEA0OrWfkIDYRfxqOpD9m6ocYIhxPRvJQDIGgjlCs9QajnQ2PhPEgIIW0IPzNwJb3(s4EZjwhpbZjuuch9emT4ccr(rYi84Is5O3eeYTVeURidMtSoEc)mJi)izWussOjbmNZKvFgZ5C5wrJtZmcYXBZKWiGR01gocYtx3e7eHwvcr(rYiKP7Mm62vKxzRqyMI8JKrWenHmH5hyECrPC0BcoIWVNUQyMegbCLU2Wry(bMFpDvXmjmoIW8dmYXBZKW4iAeWlek4zCCn69GQADDTkc0b17bkLTgLGS4Xv6A9HM2kHKri3(s4UImyoX6GGOANygeeYeYbMtSoUISx0eocxeYgEC8GQoedliu1nGyza7slLYwVqinB8oHIs4EE0sJh30tqt9ssFy8Ov3a(yRrGTff7YaQkHYUltpH5hyQk9)5icUDjONqZSyc6PrJW8dmwVejJJiy9sKm6j8IKsj4bkHMzXe0tJgHQs)F6j8IKsjiKN(JtOrW1Rc6j0mlMGEA0OrqREjPpmooBT6acvSlQOyhUrrVvPu2AvcUqrStET4ccIQDIqVYe70tpH36oJEc)EMKXuHxpLIcHZnziIuvq43ZKmbnsw4K6vbsNLL3PhPmp6RppD9hPC7lH7801)8czrhjyptYpsNc5oV6tAXFROqqEJ53ZKmhrJgbZjuuch9es9M4PNhTeYTVeURidMtSoEA0iiKjKBFjCxrgmNyDSQeUiKn844LBDQOOiA1nOdB9slkLYwJsinB8oHIs4EE0saVqOGNXXQlTyhqhUrrOIfB7IokLTgLgnc5ZJ26Be0iba

Thanks bushes i'll look into it tonight when I get home, couldn't you just keep the WA active (in combat as well as out of combat) and it should accurately track the buff without having to question the 2nd one every time you enter combat.