Video Card assistance

Good morning. I have a Radeon HD 4890. Found a GTX 660 for right around my budget. Would this be a good upgrade?my current setup runs on ultra, would I notice a difference? Any thoughts? Thanks!

It would be an upgrade. If you currently run on Ultra, though, why purchase a new card?

If you can hold off on your purchase, the 960 should be releasing this quarter. It should be about the same price with newer technology.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Good to know. I'm upgrading so my son, 9600gt, can have my 4890. And in a sense slowly pulling my new build together. Thanks!
    Last edited by FengHouzi; 2015-01-05 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation

7+ Year Old Account
    The 4890 was a beast of a video card when it came out. It's just that that was in 2008/2009. The 660 would be an upgrade, but if I were you I would look into the R9-270x, which would be faster than the 660. Unless you can hold off until the 960 comes out, in which case it would be better.

Video cards are in a weird spot right now. Nvidia rules both the low end (750/750ti) and high end (970/980), with AMD beating them in the middle segments (R9-270/280).

Deleted
    AMD 265 and 270 is nearly as cheap as the 750 ti, the 260X is as cheap or cheaper and I believe that trade blows with the 750ti? Maybe not as power efficient though.

Deleted
    Yeah, for the price of a 660, you'll be able to find either a 750Ti or an R7-270(x, maybe?), which is more than sufficient of an upgrade.

I have a hard time recommending anything other than a 9-Series GPU from nVidia. The GTX 970 is *crushing* the price/performance ratio right now, and is often available for 320$ (it performs on par with the infamous Titan). I imainge the GTX 960 will be similarly powerful (if it performs at even 70% of the 970, and is in the midrange price bracket of ~220-250, itll be monster).

Deleted
    It's easy to recommend somethign else than the 9-series for this one simple fact, price. Not everyone has ~$330+ to spend. Also not everyone actually needs a 970 or 980, for 1080p it's mostly overkill. Easy to get hooked on the kool aid though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    It's easy to recommend somethign else than the 9-series for this one simple fact, price. Not everyone has ~$330+ to spend. Also not everyone actually needs a 970 or 980, for 1080p it's mostly overkill. Easy to get hooked on the kool aid though.
    I would, however, dependent on the power of it, consider looking towards the GTX960 and the rumoured 960Ti variant at the end of the month.

Deleted
    Yeah definitely worth waiting to see what they release.