Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Having sat on a jury I would not trust one to decide my guilt, something like this you will have some radicals who care nothing for evidence and decide your guilty before things even get started.
    A man judged by a group of his equals sounds good.... until you realize it's the same people who vote in elections.

Also, this kind of sting operations... how are they legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post

"Its for the children"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    See, you can make a great career move by starting and leading a successful task-force, but if it fails, it's all on you. So, once you have a task force and you can't get any criminals, you have to create them.

Remember the guys who befriended a schoolkid and pushed him into getting drugs for them, only to arrest him for possession and sale when he was acting as a middleman for the undercover cops who pushed him into it? Cushy as fuck job, sitting on your ass chatting online instead of doing useful police work, and since you can trick honest people into becoming criminals, you get lots of nice arrests as well which looks nice on a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    See, you can make a great career move by starting and leading a successful task-force, but if it fails, it's all on you. So, once you have a task force and you can't get any criminals, you have to create them.

Remember the guys who befriended a schoolkid and pushed him into getting drugs for them, only to arrest him for possession and sale when he was acting as a middleman for the undercover cops who pushed him into it? Cushy as fuck job, sitting on your ass chatting online instead of doing useful police work, and since you can trick honest people into becoming criminals, you get lots of nice arrests as well which looks nice on a resume.
    Like the ATF storefront stings that were in the news.

Arrests look good on paper, how many occurring crimes on the street could have stopped or prevented with the same money and man hours

Speaking as someone in Florida, I find most of this stuff to be a waste of time and I find it insanely disturbing that people are okay with it going on. So they're 16, so what? That's not a big deal. Same with teacher-student stuff. Unless it's actual rape involving violence, who the hell cares? If a teacher has sex with a 17 year old, big deal. If a 25 year old wants to bang a 16 year old, big deal. There's a huge difference between a teenager and an actual child, they are nothing alike.

Besides, age of consent here is still 18. My girlfriend is a teacher and at her school a teacher was arrested for having sex with a 17 year old student the other day. To me that's not big deal, that shouldn't be a crime at all. But people are too on this "think of the children" thing, when a teenager isn't a child.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2015-01-06 at 01:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Speaking as someone in Florida, I find most of this stuff to be a waste of time and I find it insanely disturbing that people are okay with it going on. So they're 16, so what? That's not a big deal. Same with teacher-student stuff. Unless it's actual rape involving violence, who the hell cares? If a teacher has sex with a 17 year old, big deal. If a 25 year old wants to bang a 16 year old, big deal. There's a huge difference between a teenager and an actual child, they are nothing alike.

Besides, age of consent here is still 18. My girlfriend is a teacher and at her school a teacher was arrested for having sex with a 17 year old student the other day. To me that's not big deal, that shouldn't be a crime at all. But people are too on this "think of the children" thing, when a teenager isn't a child.
    Teacher-student rules aren't only about age, it's about being a person in power, a state-employee tasked with taking care of children and young adults. If above age of consent the teacher should be fired, but below age of consent, yeah, a teacher should know better than to break both the most basic ethical code AND the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Teacher-student rules aren't only about age, it's about being a person in power, a state-employee tasked with taking care of children and young adults. If above age of consent the teacher should be fired, but below age of consent, yeah, a teacher should know better than to break both the most basic ethical code AND the law.
    My point is the age of consent is a stupid restriction and one that is almost 100% arbitrary. Fired, possibly. Arrested and have your life ruined forever? I don't think so. Not for something as stupid as 17 and 25.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Do you honestly feel bad for the guy? Are you going to think about him later? We can beat around the bush and say "oh, that poor guy", but I highly doubt anyone cares.
    I'm sure if someone said that they wouldn't feel bad over rape victims you would lose your shit, no?

OT/
    This is absolutely disgusting. That program should be ended for good and those polices should be punished. Those people are crime victims and they must feel horrible. Despicable actions from police, don't they have any real crimes to investigate?

while most of the people caught in these stings deserve it, the method is pure entrapment, as is described in the OP. Even when they resist the entrapment, because they are talking to the FBI, they are DTF minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    while most of the people caught in these stings deserve it, the method is pure entrapment, as is described in the OP. Even when they resist the entrapment, because they are talking to the FBI, they are DTF minors.
    I definitely agree that these tactics are entrapment. As indicated above I have rather strong views on the subject (and would prefer not to go into detail) but lying to be a teenager and soliciting sex and then arresting someone who picks up on it shouldn't be admissible at all and should result in all charges being dropped because it's resorting to underhanded techniques, and IMHO gets into the dangerous area of thought crimes.

Maybe he said "Fuck you" to her... and the police read that as something else.

One time this under age girl was messaging me on some chat thing asking me for sex, and I was like "uh no, come back in a few years" and then I blocked her, and then somebody claiming to be her brother started messaging me threatening to call the cops for hitting on his little sister and I was like WTF. In light of this story maybe it was really Floridaman trolling men.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Maybe he was her pimp and he was upset you turned her down.
    Sadly that's actually very possible/likely. People pimp out their own underage female relatives to buy drugs all the time.