10+ Year Old Account

New router advice / suggestions

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a router that can handle my 100mbps+ internet (currently it drops the speed down to about 50mbps at best). My PC is wired in of course but I also want wifi for my devices (Wii U, Phone, Tablet).

Are there any solid gigabit WAN+LAN routers with solid wifi as well?
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

What's your budget? Is this just a standard ethernet router?

I've heard good things about Microtik's, haven't used one yet but they have a pretty good feature set for the price:

http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD
    Last edited by Rhyseh; 2015-01-07 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    What's your budget? Is this just a standard ethernet router?

I've heard good things about Microtik's, haven't used one yet but they have a pretty good feature set for the price:

http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD
    That router seems pretty slick. I was going to dismiss it because it wasn't a common brand (D-Link, Linksys, Cisco, etc..) but everything I'm seeing about it in terms of reviews is solid, might have to take the plunge on this.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Netgear Nighthawk. I got one recently and it is a champ. Gigabit Wifi, support for MiMo, USB 3 and USB 2 ports, four SSIDs, separates b/g/n and g/n/ac onto separate SSIDs so as not to bog the network down, great firmware (and aupport for DD-WRT) and thanks to the beamforming, the range is great - i get signal at the corner where mynsons Bus Stop is - 50+ feet from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    That router seems pretty slick. I was going to dismiss it because it wasn't a common brand (D-Link, Linksys, Cisco, etc..) but everything I'm seeing about it in terms of reviews is solid, might have to take the plunge on this.
    Yeah it's more of a business grade router. It's more difficult to configure but offers a great set of features. Personally I just purchased a Ubiquiti security appliance to test in my network. I was quite impressed with their AP's so we'll see how it goes. The only issue with the UniFi stuff is you need a controller (software based), which if you have a web server or a spare machine that is always on then it's not a problem:

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching-routing/usg/

The switches haven't been released here yet, but when they do I am going to give them a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a router that can handle my 100mbps+ internet (currently it drops the speed down to about 50mbps at best). My PC is wired in of course but I also want wifi for my devices (Wii U, Phone, Tablet).

Are there any solid gigabit WAN+LAN routers with solid wifi as well?
    en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7360/details/

Thats mine, and i like it very much. But fritzbox routers are not the cheapest ones.
    It's connected to all my devices via wlan (tv, media station, ipad, printer, cellphone, laptop) and via lan with my desktop pc and my nas.

2xlan with 1 gigabit, 2 x lan with 100mbit and wlan up to 300 mbit.