Thread: Random crashes

7+ Year Old Account

Random crashes [solved]

I originally posted this to the Battle.net forum, but since I've got no answer or whatsoever, I'll try my fortune here. So here it is:

Dear Everyone,
    As I am tired of random BSODs (mostly VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE) and freezes, I decided to open a thread to find solution to my problem. While playing with games made by BLIZZARD, I usually come across moments when my game freezes, then with an old driver it goes into blue screen of death (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display driver NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version x.x stopped responding and has successfully recovered.), while with a new driver it ends up in an error (Application Wow-64.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.). The only temporary solution for these is to hard-restart my laptop, but it's just a matter of time til it occurs again.

The specs of my laptop (Acer 5755G):
    • Processor CPU: Intel Core i5-2430M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
    • Chipset Mobile: Intel HM65 Express Chipset
    • Graphic system: Graphic Chip nVidia GeForce GT 540M (1 GB GDDR3)
    • Display Type: 14 inch WXGA (1366x768) LED
    • Main Memory: Memory 4 GB DDR3
    • Hard Disk Drive: Hard Disk 750 GB 5400 RPM
    • Optical Disc: Drive DVD Writer (Dual Layer Support)

What I tried so far:
    • installing older VGA drivers,
    • clean install of VGA drivers,
    • updating VGA drivers (with and without clean install),
    • installing every Windows updates,
    • clean install of Windows 8/8.1,
    • using DirectX 9,
    • setting every graphical options to low,
    • running memory tests (no errors found),
    • searching after solutions for hours on Google, WoW forums, etc.

Nothing worked yet, so here I am now completely clueless, and what I can provide you with are the following:
    BSOD dump (19 September): http://imagelol.webuda.com/dumps/091914-37578-01.dmp
    BSOD dump (02 November): http://imagelol.webuda.com/dumps/110214-40875-01.dmp
    BSOD dump (05 November): http://imagelol.webuda.com/dumps/110514-30453-01.dmp
    DxDiag from 2 November, with old driver: http://pastebin.com/Y3JYjk7w
    DxDiag from 28 November, with new driver: http://pastebin.com/DG6HjYaS

+1: I forgot to add, that I also lowered the Core clock of the VGA from the default 672 to 500, but the only thing I achieved is the lessened number of crashes/BSODs.
    +2: Even now that I have a laptop cooler, the problems still persist.
    Last edited by Imag3x; 2015-07-09 at 04:44 PM.

Did you possibly investigate a chance of faulty hardware? Is this something that started happening recently, or was it happening since you bought the laptop?
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

7+ Year Old Account
    No, I haven't checked the hardware yet, I'm afraid of disassembling my laptop. (Also I haven't had enough money to take it to the service.) And this started after I had used a program to keep my drivers up-to-date about 1.5 year ago, but as I wrote, not a clean install of windows solved it.

I would deffinitly check your hardware espeicially the cpu because that could cause alot of the problems you are having

7+ Year Old Account
    My problem was solved, so a mod can lock/delete this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Imag3x View Post
    My problem was solved, so a mod can lock/delete this thread.
    What was your fix for this? I am having the same issue. I thought it was a sound/vid combo error; I changed the sound to "low" and it happens "less often" but still happens at random times.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see you had written a comment. My solution was the simplest thing in the world, and I didn't try that, because why not...
    Anyway, I had to go to the nVIDIA Control Panel, and under the 3D settings, I had to select the global settings, and then change the preferred graphics processor to the high performance one. It seemed the laptop couldn't handle the switching back and forth, or something like that. But I've gotten like 2 BSOD-s in 4 months, so it worked like a charm.
    Hope it helps for you too.