Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    2 pages and no one mentioned the sand snakes...
    Because most people only watch the show.

God I hope they do them well, I have a Charlie's Angels fear I can't get rid of.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Game of Thrones is known for it's strong women as well as men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Because most people only watch the show.

God I hope they do them well, I have a Charlie's Angels fear I can't get rid of.
    No spoilers! SSHhh!

Anyone else think Arya isn't very strong and that Danaerys is positively a WEAK leader?
    Only remotely strong female characters were Wossername Stark the mammy, and Cersei "Ima let my 10 year old do what he wants" Lannister.

Oh yeh and the show went complete turd after the 2nd series :*(
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdeph5200 View Post
    Trolling so hard lol.
    If you subscribe to the "anyone who disagrees with me is a troll" or even better "anyone who doesn't like GoT is a troll"

P.S.your spoilers didn't work (or you just deliberaetly wrote nothing, can't tell)

But yeah season 3 and 4 of the SHOW were turd compared to the first 2 seasons. Arya hasn't done anything remotely strong since fleeing Kings Landing except she ran a guy through who'd alreayd had seven shades of shit beaten out of him (from behind). Such strength. She's a fucking nutter, and understandably so. But I don't see how that equates to "strong"

And Denaerys, sure it would be awesome to be immune to heat and have 3 loyal dragons... only they aren't so loyal are they? And when she doesn't have them backing her suddenly she's kinda.... crap... "Oh am I doing the right thing, no change my mind, no change it back..."
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sansa Stark
    Cersei Lannister
    Arya Stark
    Danaerys Targaryen
    Asha Greyjoy (HER NAME IS ASHA FUCK OFF TV WRITERS)
    Catelyn Stark
    Millesandre
    Ygritte
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I think you've been watching a different show than I have.
    Well what show have you been watching? There is definitely more sexual violence against women in the show than there is against men. Although I suppose it depends if you consider castration sexual violence. But strictly speaking about rape far more female characters are raped, or threatened with rape than male characters. Only one male character in the show - Theon - receives such treatment. And in the books there's one or two minor characters, like a Maester who gets sodomised by Ironborn. But let's not deny the level of rape in the series, and that most of it happens to women.

not really. every single one of them is manipulated, bedded, or killed by a man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    not really. every single one of them is manipulated, bedded, or killed by a man.
    Sounds like all the men in the series as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weiner weiner weiner weiner weiner weiner weiner weiner weiner, one weiner...next to another weiner...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFO49EV7N_k

But anyway, no, it doesn't seem there are any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Well what show have you been watching? There is definitely more sexual violence against women in the show than there is against men. Although I suppose it depends if you consider castration sexual violence. But strictly speaking about rape far more female characters are raped, or threatened with rape than male characters. Only one male character in the show - Theon - receives such treatment. And in the books there's one or two minor characters, like a Maester who gets sodomised by Ironborn. But let's not deny the level of rape in the series, and that most of it happens to women.
    Id call that realism, not denying women strength. GoT is marked by its portrayal of women with agency and agendas, it doesnt make them invulnerable or deny the reality of rape in war.

You make it sound like there's just rape all over the place. I can think of only 3 distinct moments, only 2 of which were at the forefront. Dany and Drogo's first time and then the whole Cersei/Jaime incident (which may just be poor filmmaking ruining a scene), the third less important being the Craster's Keep debauchery with the deserters (who all got killed). I guess a 4th might be when the Hound saves Sansa, but it never got that far.

Maybe I'm not spending enough time cataloguing acts of vile dickings when trying to watch a show and follow the story.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Maybe I'm not spending enough time cataloguing acts of vile dickings when trying to watch a show and follow the story.
    Check your privilege :O

I have trouble coming up with a -weak- female character. Shae, maybe? Cersei? (spoilers) The problem with our PC society is that we define strength in women through wealth, political power, and the ability to kill. That's not to say that these things aren't parts of certain kinds of strength, but there are other sorts of strength as demonstrated by Catelyn, Sansa, and Gilly. There is a fair amount of rape and sexism on the show in certain areas, but could one not argue that this does women a service by showing realistically how they were treated in those times? Game of Thrones is not medieval history, but the social structure is based on it, and if it were neutered so as to not offend PC Tumblr types, it would be far less of a story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Id call that realism, not denying women strength. GoT is marked by its portrayal of women with agency and agendas, it doesnt make them invulnerable or deny the reality of rape in war.
    And I wasn't claiming that was the case. In fact I rather clearly said I don't think it takes away from the strong female characters, or makes the series sexist.

- - - Updated - - -

You make it sound like there's just rape all over the place. I can think of only 3 distinct moments, only 2 of which were at the forefront. Dany and Drogo's first time and then the whole Cersei/Jaime incident (which may just be poor filmmaking ruining a scene), the third less important being the Craster's Keep debauchery with the deserters (who all got killed). I guess a 4th might be when the Hound saves Sansa, but it never got that far.

That's still a lot more than happens to the guys and a lot more than happens in most other shows. And given the vile nature of rape, a series doesn't really have to include many instances of it for it to be considered a lot. Relatively, GoT/ASOIAF has a lot of rape. And that isn't an indictment of the series - it reflects the setting and serves to make a point. I'm just pointing out that it's the case.

I will note though that in the books the Jaime/Cersei scene is fully consensual. And it was intended to be consensual in the show as well, which speaks rather poorly of D+D given how almost everyone took it as a rape scene.

Deleted
    I will note though that in the books the Jaime/Cersei scene is fully consensual. And it was intended to be consensual in the show as well, which speaks rather poorly of D+D given how almost everyone took it as a rape scene.
    I believe D&D have gone on record somewhere stating that editing and directing in that scene were to blame and it ended being nothing like how they wrote it, i'll see if I can find the quote somewhere.

Deleted
    Also the consummation of Dany and Drogo's marriage is consensual in the books, though later he rapes her multiple times.

There are a few other instances of Rape you missed. SPOILERS kind of.

The rape of Elia during Robert's Rebellion; Cersei was (arguably) raped by Robert many times in their marriage; in the show only the scene with Joffrey and the prostitutes is not rape but certainly sexual abuse. There is the rape of Tysha (Tyrion's wife as a teenager), ordered by Tywin. In the books Tyrion is forced to rape her. In the latest book there is a rather important rape. And then there are 3 cultures (Dothraki, Ironborn and Wildling) which glorify and accept rape.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I believe D&D have gone on record somewhere stating that editing and directing in that scene were to blame and it ended being nothing like how they wrote it, i'll see if I can find the quote somewhere.
    I find it hard to believe that they could have gone so wrong. Cersei is telling him to stop constantly, even the music is sinister IIRC.

Deleted
    Also the consummation of Dany and Drogo's marriage is consensual in the books, though later he rapes her multiple times.

There are a few other instances of Rape you missed. SPOILERS kind of.

The rape of Elia during Robert's Rebellion; Cersei was (arguably) raped by Robert many times in their marriage; in the show only the scene with Joffrey and the prostitutes is not rape but certainly sexual abuse. There is the rape of Tysha (Tyrion's wife as a teenager), ordered by Tywin. In the books Tyrion is forced to rape her. In the latest book there is a rather important rape. And then there are 3 cultures (Dothraki, Ironborn and Wildling) which glorify and accept rape.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it hard to believe that they could have gone so wrong. Cersei is telling him to stop constantly, even the music is sinister IIRC.
    The show trys to be historically accurate to its real world counter parts, if anything there should be far more.

That said, i'm not certain why you keep bringing it up, as if its the most horrendous thing in the series.

I think that you're spending too much time looking at the act in a bubble. Rather than the overall significance, especially in regards to the themes covered in the series. Yes, rape is bad. Having your childhood pet's head sewn onto your headless body and paraded around is also bad. Trading your sister for an army is bad. Having your dong flayed is bad.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    The show trys to be historically accurate to its real world counter parts, if anything there should be far more.

That said, i'm not certain why you keep bringing it up, as if its the most horrendous thing in the series.
    I'm just bringing it up because it's one of the reasons some people complain about the series being sexist. I disagree with them. A lot actually, I think ASOIAF is a feminist work, but I was just pointing out why people think what they do.