Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

New year, time for some updates? GPU + CPU/Mobo?

Looking to do some upgrades as the build below is coming up on 2 years old for the main components (CPU, MoBo) and close to that on the GPU.

Have seen recommendations for GTX 970 GPU in other threads, would one of these work in the build below, or would a CPU/MoBo/Cooler upgrade be advised also?

Budget isn’t really the issue, but I’m fairly frugal, so ‘best bang for the buck’ is usually my guideline.

I mainly play WoW (casual, only do some LFR for raiding), but try other games on occasion. I only run a single 24” monitor at the moment, but might look at bigger/better in that arena sometime soon. I do run virtual machines at times, hence the 16GB RAM.

Current system build:
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz (OC to 4.20GHz)
    Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB
    SSD1: 250GB Samsung EVO 840
    HDD1: WD Desktop Mainstream 2TB Intellipower
    PSU: Corsair CX500M 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Mid Tower ATX
    Optical Drives: LG BluRay DVD Dual Layer Burner
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-01-08 at 06:58 PM.

1)Update the firmware on your 840 Evo if you havent.

Reason: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/s...erformance-bug

2)Do not change the CPU/Mobo you will not see a difference at all.

3)Yes, because of the sudden texture changes and the whole console VRAM fiasco some decent cards are starting to struggle on the newer games.

A 970 is your best bet, but if you dont believe you need something that strong can always go for the 960 that just came out.(Or well will be out in the next 10 days or so).

Or simply wait it out for the other 960 versions that seem to be coming, or wait for the AMD ones that should be coming during May and after.

But right now if you wanna buy something: Gigabyte 970 G1 (Gaming, not Windforce! Many people fuck up on this) or MSI Gaming 970, Golden Edition too if you can find it or Galax 970 HOF again if you can find it.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-01-08 at 07:21 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup I was on top of the game for the 840 EVO firmware issue Done and done (installed one for my aunt on her new laptop recently... $300 HP touchscreen bargain and 128GB EVO = nice machine good for years).

I'll check out the 960's too. No rush on any of this. I kinda want to go back to nVidia.

Yes but do note: 960 is fine for 1080p not very future proof though. (2GB Vram versions are out first).

Its a bit on the "Weak side" which is why they are releasing a Ti version it seems according to "rumors".

Your best bet to be safe for a couple of years is literally a good 970, any of the 3 (4) cards i mentioned are top.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Gigabyte 970 G1 (Gaming, not Windforce! Many people fuck up on this) or MSI Gaming 970, Golden Edition too if you can find it or Galax 970 HOF again if you can find it.
    Thanks for the info on the 960. None of them are available yet as far as I can see, and the 970 sounds better anyway.

As for the 970, is the list above in order of preference? I've also seen the EVGA 970's recommended too.

Order of preference? Not really, i am just naming you some of the "top" cards not from reviews but from e-peen competitions.

EVGA is recommended in Europe cause they have awesome support/guarantee and quick response rate, they are avoided a bit after the cooler fiasco.

Plus from reading around you can see they are generally not recommended for the 900 series then again if you can find the 970 FTW ACX 2.0 for the price its supposed to go (380$) it would be a good buy.

Otherwise i would simply search for a G1 or MSI Gaming or Galax HOF, either card is amazing.

I am giving you my opinion from what i read from the richer people/benchmark e-peen whores in a forum of my country which try to win each other repeatedly :P And from their experience..G1 and MSI Gaming are the best bang for the buck cause they OC like crazy while relatively cheap.

Galax HOF is really hard to find here so i am only recommending it based on reviews.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-01-08 at 08:50 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    then again if you can find the 970 FTX ACX 2.0 for the price its supposed to go (380$) it would be a good buy.
    did you mean FTW? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487077 goes for $379.99
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-01-08 at 08:47 PM.

Yes, ACX 2.0 is the name of the cooler so the name of the card is FTX ACX 2.0 but i wouldnt recommend it over the other cards since they are both cheaper as i saw quickly. (Edit, didnt notice the typo)

Reasons its not recommended:

They are being called out on the cooler problem which causes higher temps/noise compared to the competition while the price is higher on some countries like your link.

Cheaper components compared to competition because i -think- the PCB is the reference one slightly modified with a backplate compared to the other better cards.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-01-08 at 08:51 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Galax HOF is really hard to find here so i am only recommending it based on reviews.

G1 and MSI Gaming are the best bang for the buck cause they OC like crazy while relatively cheap.
    Galax HOF: Yeah it's not even showing up in google searches here so may not be available in USA

Nice to know about the other 2 if I want to attempt OC.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    Galax HOF: Yeah it's not even showing up in google searches here so may not be available in USA

Nice to know about the other 2 if I want to attempt OC.
    I bought the MSI 970 Gaming since my GTX 580 went bad ~3 weeks ago out of reading around since it was available instantly at a shop nearby instead of ordering a Gigabyte G1.

I can OC it +150 +500 without touching the voltage and didnt even had any issues while benchmark testing, runs at about 1500.2Mhz/8.000Mhz that way instead of ~1350 that is :P

Generally most aftermarket 970 do that, the chip is amazing but the "safest" seem to be the ones i mentioned.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-01-08 at 08:58 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the MSI 970 Gaming since my GTX 580 went bad ~3 weeks ago out of reading around since it was available instantly at a shop nearby instead of ordering a Gigabyte G1.
    This one, correct? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127832

Yeap, its "special" and "famous" cause apart from the whole OC thing, the fans dont work unless the card has a load or runs above 60C.

Small note: First revisions had issues, i have no idea how many cards/who sells at newegg but i doubt you will find one of those since its been 5 months but just informing in case.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeap, its "special" and "famous" cause apart from the whole OC thing, the fans dont work unless the card has a load or runs above 60C.

Small note: First revisions had issues, i have no idea how many cards/who sells at newegg but i doubt you will find one of those since its been 5 months but just informing in case.
    Thanks again for info. Found it at another online retailer I like for similar price... if I order there, then no sales tax CA state sales tax sucks (9%)

Newegg is one of the better online retailers in US, so I'm sure their inventory is fairly new for most items.

I wouldnt worry, as i said its been 5 months and since around mid november bios exists that fixes any issues the card might had so you will be fine.