[resto sham] Brackenspore mythic tips

Hey Resto Shammies!

Right now I am progressing on Brackenspore mythic and I just can't get a handle on what might be a good build.

Anyone have a decent talent/glyph set up for this fight?

Depends. Are you on full time greens? How many tanks? How many healers? Pretty much any healer can solo the greens but because we don't have absorbs we are, relatively speaking, better on shroom heals. Though talents / glyphs don't really change whether you are on shrooms or tanks. We just don't have much for tanks apart from healing surge. Riptide is pretty worthless (but still should be spread on the two) and earth shield isn't great either. Not compared to any other healer for tank heals really.

Anyhow for talents I would use astral shift (for times when spores are still up for while in a green due to immediate spawn), tier2/3 don't matter much, I go ele mastery for tier 4 for the situation again of bad spore shooters up during a shroom with no one able to stand out soaking the spore shot so you can EM + HTT along with SLT as a back-up emergency cooldown that will get you through that rare but annoying situation (assuming you are not using these in a rotation already). Tier 5 - RS. Tier 6 - Ele blast. Tier 7 - High tides.

Glyphs - HW/HST/spiritwalker's focus

This is an example of what I mean for greens.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ing&target=464
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&target=78

Both are great examples of poor play on some of the other healers as the other healers SHOULD be healing green during infesting to not waste mana and you can see in that in both logs pretty no one was helping me (and to add on, a few of them were oom by the end of the fight which they shouldn't be). Of course some healers have roles such as disc CoW during tank for even for infesting (though you can see he still helps with a few shields), one or two other healers dedicated to blue even when during infesting, but it shouldn't be that lopsided on the greens. But the logs are more just to point out shaman can heal solo heal the greens just fine if your group is electing to assign healers to roles on this specific fight. We just don't do great on the tanks here since our toolkit doesn't really allow it.

thanks alot for the logs =) this will give me at least something to shoot for.

I haven't done that many pulls yet on Myth Brackenspore, but I have been dropping Rushing Streams for AG, since the raid damage outside of Infesting Spores is pretty negligible, and having another c/d (even if relatively weak) may help. I also got rid of Elemental Blast for Unleashed Fury, figuring mana is unlikely to be an issue until late in the fight (if ever), and UF may help with occasional heal bombs on the tank, or for efficiency on healing the shrooms.

Wondering if maybe Elemental Mastery might even be worthwhile here.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...1&type=healing

Here is our log from this weeks kill.

I think you should always be using Astral Shift, Call of the Elements, Rushing Streams, and High Tide.

90 Talents are really up to you I didn't see a big difference between them, I went PE
    60 Talents I would probably go EM but AS is fine, I actually forget to change the talent and had AS for this week.

we have a 4 cd rotation for spores. I handle the 2nd spore in our rotation with my cds and an amp magic.

Spore 1 HST > Spore 2 Pop Fire ele when we are about to top the greeen mushroom, the damage doesn't really start doing anything until about 6 stacks. so Healing Rain>Ascendance>1Chainheal>should be at about 6 stacks drop HealingTideTotem>spam chainheal> Spore 3 HST, at about 6 stacks of the debuff I drop spirit link (really doesn't feel necessary at all, you could probably use SLT for a breath CD or to save a fucked up breath CD)>Spore 4 HST>>>>RESET>>>>Spore1>Spore2 same except I use earthele instead of fire ele>Spore3 same>spore 4same

As for general tips and whatever

I Drop my HST when the first set of spore shooters come out because people are silly and take aoe damage, as soon as I cast it I prep totem so I have it for the first spore

Wind shear spore shooters

The spore shooters do AOE damage so if you still have some alive during a infesting spore you can spread out around the shroom ( the healing rage is actually quite large) so you don't get raped

I often have to run out to east bumfuck no where to top flamerthrower players, especially our warlock (burning rush scales with damage done buffs!)
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...taken&source=2

Sorrry if this is a clusterfuck to read.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gardiff View Post
    Both are great examples of poor play on some of the other healers as the other healers SHOULD be healing green during infesting to not waste mana and you can see in that in both logs pretty no one was helping me (and to add on, a few of them were oom by the end of the fight which they shouldn't be). Of course some healers have roles such as disc CoW during tank for even for infesting (though you can see he still helps with a few shields), one or two other healers dedicated to blue even when during infesting, but it shouldn't be that lopsided on the greens. But the logs are more just to point out shaman can heal solo heal the greens just fine if your group is electing to assign healers to roles on this specific fight. We just don't do great on the tanks here since our toolkit doesn't really allow it.
    Seems like you guys are wasting a lot of heals into the shroom. When they spawn everyone throws a hot or a shield on them and before spore goes out I call to top the shroom and everyone casts one heal on it and it gets topped. We hardly even heal it after that. It lives through an infesting and then just dies.
    Hi Sephurik

The blue mushroom is no where near as topping mana off as it is in heroic / normal. Even though it is pretty easy to double spawn greens / blues, you are not going to have things like 50% uptime of the blue buff. At max it will be 20-25%

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=1&spell=100

As you can see, oom by the end. Rejuv spores mana buff was up for ~20-25% (which is actually a bit high for most first mythic kills). I casted only 18 Ele blasts (low). 18 Ele blasts is ~ 57600 mana extra that you would not have. Then consider the no mana spent for the 1.5-2 second cast per elemental blast and you can see it is even more mana.

EDIT - to be fair though on the paragraph above, that amount of mana is pretty negligible. My point is though this WAS a farm kill and not a first kill and so it isn't as useful to you. The truth is I can probably go anything now (PE/UF etc). But for the first kill (see below for that log) for the role I had, I pretty much needed it.

Now look at this (the first kill).
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=2&spell=100

Only 15% uptime on blue. This can happen if he decides to spawn blue at a bad time during a wave that your group has to move out of so no double stack green with blue. You will see low uptimes like this on progress for the boss so its not atypical. 26 elemental blasts here. That is 83200 mana. When you consider the ~52 seconds of no mana spent because of elemental blast uptime, it is even more mana gained. In this case, 83000 mana is huge since when you consider "additional mana sources" (i.e. non-spirit so things like mana pot, trinkets, resurgence, blue buff), I only had 280k.

In the first case it wasn't as big but that was a farm attempt so its not indicative of a first kill.

I guess my point is, even with great blue up-time you will still run dry on mana near the end of the fight making ele blast pretty much required. UF isn't bad for shroom heals but when I tried it I found myself oom'ing in the 2nd half of the fight. Remember I am talking about the role of ele blast if you are solely healing greens here.

Green shrooms take 20k dps before being topped off in mythic. Then consider the fact that you have to straight up heal ~200k since it starts at 50%. That is not easy to do and the mana is needed especially if solo healing the greens (which if you are 4 healing, you will probably do).

Just some things to think about it if you are doing mythic brackenspore and healing greens.

The reason why guidance is not useful on the fight is that if you are aoe healing during greens, you are doing it wrong. Greens roughly do ~24k hps (more like 28k since most people have healing modifiers and just what I see from logs) to the raid. The first 4-5 ticks of infesting are automatically topped off with the green shroom. With one CD per infesting (i.e. bubble, devo, SLT etc.), if the raid is topped off and has decent HP buffed (i.e. ~280k or so which is not unreasonable at 670 which most guilds are now), it is almost impossible to be killed by the infesting spores . Thus, its pointless to waste mana to spam heal the raid with AoE heals. cheap heals on the green to top people off are the way to go in this 10 minute fight. At most you might have one or two dedicated people to AoE heal during greens or to spot heal certain people who went in at low health / low cooldowns / etc. But if all 4 heals are just AoE healing during greens, they will be oom for sure by the second half of the fight.

EDIT - to clarify again I am talking about the role of someone who only heals green. In this scenario I would not recommend to just chain heal spam during greens (if you are doing this role) since its just not necessary. If you do something else, then yes, I agree, aoe heals have a role (sine 1 or 2 people will be aoe healing during infesting).

Now if spore shooters are UP during infesting and you can't stand out to soak, then yes, aoe heals with massive cds will be used. But in second log I linked (i.e. THE FIRST KILL), I casted < 10 healing rains and only about 12 chain heals total in a ~9:15 fight. That just goes to show you how unimportant AoE heals are relative to keeping green up.

I went EM solely for the fact that I was on greens (so no emergency need on the tanks with AS which has a role here) and that there does come the situation where spore shooters will be up during green and.... its a bad situation. EM + HTT for those situations can let you cheat and pretty much live through it. And those are the things that are important when progressing on a fight like this. Just becuase spore shooters are up during infesting does not equate wipe and you can help mitigate that with things like EM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post

Seems like you guys are wasting a lot of heals into the shroom. When they spawn everyone throws a hot or a shield on them and before spore goes out I call to top the shroom and everyone casts one heal on it and it gets topped. We hardly even heal it after that. It lives through an infesting and then just dies.
    You understand that in the log you linked, you healed the greens in total more than we did right?

First kill

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...100&target=464

Second kill

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&target=78

vs your kill

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&target=51

Edit - Also took the time to look up your guild's first kill and saw the same thing.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&target=79

If anything, you guys waste a lot more heals into the green. Putting one person on it, minimizes that risk of pumping excessive heals, but is by NO means the 'correct' strategy.

The point is, that I solo heal the greens (and that is what the post I had above was about and it only pertains to that situation) in my guild (and I indicated that the post I put was strictly for this type of situation). Thus, because your role isn't the same as mine in the fight, you can't really compare our situations.

One thing that I do agree with you though is that you can easily position during green to avoid spore shooters. That is something I didn't indicate in my post or the previous post and is super useful. I know on our first kill we never thought much of it but we brought it up when I came back after christmas break and it can so easily be done (and SHOULD be done).
    Last edited by Gardiff; 2015-01-10 at 08:54 AM.