Deleted

HotW as Guardian

Hi all,

We're running a few Mythic encounters with 3 tanks which show some potential for HOTW usage. For example, we are progressing on Brackenspore and could easily fit in a HOTW on the pull (even with 2 tanks). And on Tectus there is a reasonable chance to use it either in phase 1 or phase 2. It could also be used on Tectus to let us drop a healer, by using it during the shards upheaval for healing.

I plan to test it myself, but does anyone have any experience with HOTW since 6.0? I'm mostly concerned as to whether it will yield any dps increase over bear cleave, and whether I should go kitty or wrath-spam (with a spellcaster staff).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you might be able to argue it being useless on certain fights (Bracken for example) if you're three tanking. How many healers do you have? I can't imagine it being good dps on Tectus just because of thrash spam (for the dps portion of your question anyway)

For 3 tanking, I would 100% say yes take hotw over the other talents if you plan To maximize dps.. But no you will not be using cat form heart of wild, or caster hotw for last phase w/ 8 motes. You'll thrash spam for max dps.

In reply to dropping a healer, for a dps, I honestly think that isn't wise, depending what kind of healer you drop, but I would think hotw rejuvenate ticking for crazy numbers could replace a healer for just a upheaval, if they can handle keeping people alive in mote phase!

We don't 3 tank mythic bracken,but I go guardian for mythic tectus as 3rd tank. Hotw first phase w/ berserk kitty form, and lucky double sided coin + skull of war yields consistent 100k~ dps for the 15 seconds berserk is up, or for roughly 2mil dmg. Beserk will be up for when you push the 2 mediums down, giving me 60k-80k guardian mangle spamming for that time, then use second coin use + pots + hero and bear thrash on the 8 motes

Tldr:
    1) dropping a healer and hotw healing if you pre rejuv could work
    2) hotw caster/kitty dps won't beat bear cleave
    3)hotw kitty will destroy bear single target by nearly 50%, if you use beserk
    Last edited by lifteez; 2015-01-13 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

Pretty much what the guy above said.

I'm using guardian as well for tectus (with 2 proper tanks), HOTW shred spam to FB with beserk + pot (pre pull) easy 100k.

Swapping into bear as soon as HOTW is down, 3x lacerate on tectus, thrash and then mangle + maul all the things.

I pick up a shard to leave our DK tank free to take the tectus respawn and the adds that come. 3x lacerate on each and mauling (with gylph) as much as possible. Healers should be able to keep you up through it without too much FR usage.

Berserk as soon as soon as it's up again to kill the two shards

Last phase time for trinket and pot again, and go to town with thrash.
    Last edited by Izzyotta; 2015-01-13 at 01:44 AM.

armour pot (pre pull)
    Agility pot is worth 75% more AP for HotW than the armor pot (and boosts SP which is useful as well). Please don't use an armor pot with HotW .
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2015-01-13 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    Agility pot is worth 75% more AP and infinitely more SP for HotW than the armor pot. Please don't use an armor pot with HotW .
    Really? I'll change my post then.

The armour to AP converison is active under HOTW still... Whats the HOTW agi scaling?

Cat form grants +150% agility during HotW (it really *should* be +150% AP which would make armor pots better and fix the cat form is 4 heal issue, but it's +agility for now).

So 1000 agility pot with 5% stats buff and HotW gives 2625 real agility. Bonus armor pot is still 1500 armor.

You're not the first person to make the mistake, it's actually pretty common because there're 0 other situations where agility pots are useful. That mistake just makes me particularly sad.

Ah, thank you. I believed it was a +AP% instead of +AGI%

Thank you

Deleted
    Thanks guys, I'll give this a try tonight

I personally use HotW on the following mythic bosses: Kargath, Butcher, Ko'ragh, and Imperator. I use other talents on Bracky, Tectus, and Twins due to the nature of the fights and/or specific jobs I undertake (or the extra damage isn't necessary... although that could be said for most fights).

The real downside is that if you're 2-tanking fights, it's not very feasible to use the entire duration of HotW (I can generally get in about 30 seconds worth of kitty DPS). 3-tanking a fight is a different story, and HotW should likely be used if you're replacing a DPS for said tank. At the very least, you can get in a full Berserk on almost any fight with HotW up no matter the raid comp. Also, CW gets buffed by HotW by a ton, seen CW ticks crit for almost 200k under the effects on co-tanks.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville