Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post What do you do if your GM quits?

i'm in a 3/7 mythic guild, we were making some progress on tectus, but the GM has decided to bail for a more progressed guild. So far only one other officer has followed him. Everyone else is sort of in a blur haze.

Have these sort of events ever been salvageable? Do you have any advice.
    Hi

Pretty shitty guild leadership if GM+Officers decide to jump to another guild.

If the GM doesn't decide who will take over him after he leaves it is 99% of the time gonna be a disbanded guild. Just find a new one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your GM sounds like a real asshat, and it is only salvageable if someone takes the initiative to keep things going.

Perhaps its better to not have a GM with that kind of behaviour to begin with.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Deleted
    Only viable choice is to end your relations with them and find a new guild.

Do not try and reform tbh because leaders quitting usually causes guild moral to drop severally. Veteran guild raider members will most likely not stick around long and they most likely are the "key" players in the raid team. Newer members will see the dysfunction in the guild and realize joining the guild was a mistake and leave just as quick.

I've seen this happen to many guilds before and the sad part is when people in the guild waste time and effort trying to reform.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to say, but 90% of these cases the guild dies. Also, did the GM take stuff/gold from gbank?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak View Post
    Only viable choice is to end your relations with them and find a new guild.

Do not try and reform tbh because leaders quitting usually causes guild moral to drop severally. Veteran guild raider members will most likely not stick around long and they most likely are the "key" players in the raid team. Newer members will see the dysfunction in the guild and realize joining the guild was a mistake and leave just as quick.

I've seen this happen to many guilds before and the sad part is when people in the guild waste time and effort trying to reform.
    What this dude said. You will soon loose your best raiders leaving you with the dregs. Your progression will be severely set back and it will take weeks to get back to where you were. During this time the rest of the raiding team who were on 3/7 with you will get pissed off with the knockback and start leaving further dampening your efforts to recover.

If you have another dude with the leadership and patience to keep things going you may recover in a couple of months... but very few of your original raid team will stick around that long

Sorry man. But when the GM and officers leave, you would need to have people step up to replace them ASAP. You would need someone to take charge and start leading the raids again, get new officers that are willing to put in the work, and fill in the open raid spots, and keep morale up for the members that stay... You could try but it's like trying to stand up on a slippery floor. One thing goes wrong and you're down again.

Good luck!

Is there someone else on an administrative position left in your guild? If not, take the initiative. Tell your guild members it's not a big deal, he was just an asshole. Assume the mantle of a GM and appoint new staff. Get two new recruits to fill the blank spots and voila. The worst thing that can happen is the thing which would happen anyway if you decided not to act.

There is nothing but a win to gain from acting right now. Keep the guild together and then laugh in your ex-GM's face as your guild keeps progressing further.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2015-01-11 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably figured that the rest of you were holding him back.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's really fucking sad. I remember you, Illumination and Epic Fail from the WotLK days. Maybe you should take over and teach the rest of the noobs on Khaz how it's done. Illumination is definitely a shadow of its former self. I believe in you Moko.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Pretty shitty guild leadership if GM+Officers decide to jump to another guild.
    It is no different then when any other player does the same. They are just anchored in longer and take a lot more heat for doing what they feel is right for themselves. Sometimes you just don't want to be the one herding cats anymore.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We recently underwent the same problem where the GM, and officer, and a healer left. While the terms of their departure was not nearly as dickish as joining a further progressed group, it was still somewhat of a shock to most of our members although the writing was on the wall when they chose to isolate themselves from the rest of the guild such as password protected vent channel where they were 90% of the time and zero guild presence outside of raid nights. It mostly boiled down to a bad apple whom they decided to turn in to an officer in late SoO and since then, they've essentially been a pawn to this guy who likely planted the seeds of departure long ago.

While we're simply a drop in the bucket to a Mythic progression guild, it sucks. We're fortunate enough that the core group are players have been together since TBC and, in spite of our GM and healer being in the guild for nearly the same amount of time, we've managed to get as far as our progression without them so there remains hope. We talked about it in vent and moved on from there. It's probably different in Mythic groups though where it's more about progression and less about the people you play with so hopefully this setback is merely a temporary issue than having to do either a) complete rebuild or b) being the bottom totem in a guild full of strangers.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It is no different then when any other player does the same. They are just anchored in longer and take a lot more heat for doing what they feel is right for themselves. Sometimes you just don't want to be the one herding cats anymore.
    GM has decided to bail
    A decent player would inform them first and not bail immediately. Give them a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Some great advice in this thread, thanks for the input. I've been informed that a few people may try to step up, but i'm unsure how well it will work out.

Interesting times ahead! don't you just love drama. zzzz
    Hi

I had this happen to the guild i was in during Ulduar, the guild leader and a couple of officers took all of the guild bank and left for another server. Together with a couple of friends we managed to take over the leadership of the guild and prevented it from disbanding.

The worst is if he gives the GM position to one of his alts, leaving the whole guild in stasis. If he at least offered the position to another officer, it's salvageable. With guild levels and such removed though, its really easy for someone to just step up, make another guild and get signatures from people who want to start over.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's going to be tough - who did your GM pass over control of the guild to when he left? Was he also your raid leader?

That's a shame.
    I'm the GM of my guild, and I can say that if I ever didn't raid here it would be because I quit the game - not to join a new guild.

If you can't pilot the guild to the level of success you want, then why would I expect another group to be better?
    Makes no sense to me!

Oh well best of luck.
    If you are a Resto Druid on US let me know!
    Immediate spots!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV