Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nintendo is absolutely ridiculous...

So, a bit of backstory: I grew up with a Playstation and Playstation 2 when I was a child. Instead of Mario and Link I grew up with Ratchet and Sly Cooper. My experiences with Nintendo came from handhelds where I played the hell out of Pokemon.

So, while I had a bit of experience with Mario and those games, I never really got the chance to play the Legend of Zelda series. I played Ocarina of Time a couple years ago and while it was wrapped in an clunky package, I could tell that the quality was there. Now, with all the buzz with Zelda Wii U and the Wii U looking like it's worth the price tag, I thought I would pick up Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for my Wii that my mom bought 5 years ago and has been collecting dust and try to really get into the series.

This is what I find: http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/th...rd-sword/76865

The game. Is still. FULL PRICE or 50 dollars. What the hell is that? It is over 3 years old at this point AND a last gen game. TWILIGHT PRINCESS which is over 8 years old and so old that it is on the fucking gamecube is 30 dollars. Why would anyone go out and buy old last gen games for a ridiculous amount when I can buy a game like GTA V or even the NEW Super Smash Bros for 10 bucks more and get better graphics and games with more and arguably better content in them?

At this point I am going to get an emulator and play the games if I even bother and I believe I would be completely justified in my actions. It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about attracting new fans and only wants to cater to the ones they already have.

Even if it is last gen, the issue isn't that, it's that it's the newest Zelda game still.

Because real quality items don't just go down in price. You pay for what you get, and those games are still worth those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    So, a bit of backstory: I grew up with a Playstation and Playstation 2 when I was a child. Instead of Mario and Link I grew up with Ratchet and Sly Cooper. My experiences with Nintendo came from handhelds where I played the hell out of Pokemon.

So, while I had a bit of experience with Mario and those games, I never really got the chance to play the Legend of Zelda series. I played Ocarina of Time a couple years ago and while it was wrapped in an clunky package, I could tell that the quality was there. Now, with all the buzz with Zelda Wii U and the Wii U looking like it's worth the price tag, I thought I would pick up Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for my Wii that my mom bought 5 years ago and has been collecting dust and try to really get into the series.

This is what I find: http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/th...rd-sword/76865

The game. Is still. FULL PRICE or 50 dollars. What the hell is that? It is over 3 years old at this point AND a last gen game. TWILIGHT PRINCESS which is over 8 years old and so old that it is on the fucking gamecube is 30 dollars. Why would anyone go out and buy old last gen games for a ridiculous amount when I can buy a game like GTA V or even the NEW Super Smash Bros for 10 bucks more and get better graphics and games with more and arguably better content in them?

At this point I am going to get an emulator and play the games if I even bother and I believe I would be completely justified in my actions. It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about attracting new fans and only wants to cater to the ones they already have.
    Nintendo's first IP titles normally keep there price or around it. It was awhile back that Twilight princess was $15 and if u find there greats hits version it still is.

The Nintendo Select version http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/ni...princess/90925

Also Skyward sword is still the most recent zelda and it can be played on the Wii-U "All wii titles can" I got lucky and got both Twlight Princess and Skyward Sword at my local pawnshop for $10 each.

Also to add Nintendo dosen't make more copys of there Wii titles and therefor they get harder to find and cost more. The zelda games for the gamecube still hold there retail price. Its best to get the games while the system is current because you may get it on sell but once its not current anymore the price starts to go up.

Also I highly recommend Wind Waker HD for the Wii-U.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Even if it is last gen, the issue isn't that, it's that it's the newest Zelda game still.
    And? For reference Uncharted 3 (PS3 exclusive series and newest game of the series) came out in the same year and here is it's store page: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/un...eception/88913

Nintendo may be a great company, but that doesn't mean that this is acceptable.... not to mention that it can and will drive away potential new fans.

maybe look into buying a used system that comes with a bundle of used games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wot, gamestop is ripping you off m8, in my country games are quite expensive (more than in the US, even used ones, hell GTA V is like 40 bucks for PS3 used) but SS is like 15-20 bucks used on RETAIL STORES D:

You're buying it on gamestop, it's well known for being shitty, nintendo games are also known for retaining some value but Wii games aren't that expensive when used, they tend to be cheaper than n64 games (some of them! unlike the metroid trilogy and xeno)
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nintendo's first IP titles normally keep there price or around it. It was awhile back that Twilight princess was $15 and if u find there greats hits version it still is.

The Nintendo Select version http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/ni...princess/90925

Also Skyward sword is still the most recent zelda and it can be played on the Wii-U "All wii titles can"

I got lucky and got both Twlight Princess and Skyward Sword at my local pawnshop for $10 each.
    Ugh you reminded me I still need to pick up Twilight Princess at some point...never owned it, just borrowed it.

10+ Year Old Account

Wii games will play on the Wii U, unlike Xbox360 - Xbox One or PS2 to PS3.
    Also, comparing to GTA is not a fair comparison, because the games are aimed at a totally different target audience.

I imagine most responsible parents would be having a fit if they found their 5 yr old playing GTA. Whereas Mario and Zelda are pretty much good for all ages.

Ugh you reminded me I still need to pick up Twilight Princess at some point...never owned it, just borrowed it.
    I recommend the Gamecube version if you can find it. I haven't beat SS or TW because of motion controls but ill do it someday.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're getting it do get it for the gamecube, the motion controls on TP weren't fully realized and as well fledged out as skyward.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account

Also Skyward sword is still the most recent zelda and it can be played on the Wii-U "All wii titles can"

I got lucky and got both Twlight Princess and Skyward Sword at my local pawnshop for $10 each.
    Ah I see, although it's weird that they wouldn't drop the price of the standard game. But it being able to be played on Wii U is irrelevant because as far as I know playing it on a Wii U doesn't make it HD or change anything about it.

I recommend the Gamecube version if you can find it. I haven't beat SS or TW because of motion controls but ill do it someday.
    Sadly I don't have a gamecube controller yet, I mean I plan on picking up the Smash ones at some point if anything, but I don't mind the wiimote waggling honestly.

Just to clarify, I have beaten the game before all the way on the Wii, it's just more for collection/if I'm bored one day type of thing.

Ah I see, although it's weird that they wouldn't drop the price of the standard game. But it being able to be played on Wii U is irrelevant because as far as I know playing it on a Wii U doesn't make it HD or change anything about it.
    Well if you're going strictly by graphics yes, but I don't think anyone ever considered Nintendo to be the powerhouse for graphics. Even if their Mario games usually look pretty amazing.

By the time that the next Zelda game hits though Skyward Sword will probably see a drop in price, if I remember correctly, Twilight Princess went down to $20 after Skyward Sword was released.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2015-01-11 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Supply and demand. Everytime I go to local video game shops and ask for skyward sword they say as soon as its in stock, it sells out. People rarely trade it in. Without any digital option the price is rightfully high.

I'm surprised you found Twilight Princess that cheap for gamecube. That game sells for 60 bucks easily at the local shops.

You're a little off-base there. If you look -- they don't actually have any copies available. And if you go to Amazon, it's the same -- even Amazon only has titles for sale by small 3rd party vendors. So it's entirely possible it's considered "out of print" right now. So vendors push up the price for it. Your best bet is probably trying to get a copy on eBay or something.

Nintendo doesn't print more copies of games then they can sell.

When they go out of stock they either print more or don't.

This keeps the value of their games high, and you never see the price drops you see with your typical AAA games that ship 15 million copies of their game out on release date. Stores then need to clear out that excess stock later and that's why you see the $20 sales on 1 year old games.

Also it's a 2 way street. It's not just retailers to maintain value on nintendo games but YOUR nintendo games maintain value. 2 years from now your copy of Assassins Creed unity will be worth 10 bucks on ebay if you're lucky. Your copy of Super Smash Bros will still get you 40+.

I'm no sure why you're upset that Nintendo doesn't devalue the shit out of their games like it seems every other company in the industry is perfectly fine doing...

It upscales it but no it dosen't make it HD.

Nintendo games have always worked this way and I find the quailty to be well worth it. Also if u check amazon and other sites its all around the same price as well. The gamecube version of TW go's for around $50 right now. SS has around 40hrs of gameplay in it so $ vs time is well worth it thats $1 a hr almost.

Also to add Nintendo only prints so many copys of a game even if it sells like gold. While other companys like Sony/Microsoft overstock the hell out of a game.

I am just saying in case you dont know , but to play Skyward sword you will need a Wii remote + , i bought the game when it came out in a package with a wii remote + it was around 100$.

also Skyward sword was my least favorite zelda game , i bought it for my girlfriend (she's a huge zelda fan) and she was disapointed also. if you buy a wii u , you can get Zelda windwalker HD i havnt played the HD version but WW was amazing on gamecube , so technicaly the last zelda game is WW HD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Wot, gamestop is ripping you off m8, in my country games are quite expensive (more than in the US, even used ones, hell GTA V is like 40 bucks for PS3 used) but SS is like 15-20 bucks used on RETAIL STORES D:

You're buying it on gamestop, it's well known for being shitty, nintendo games are also known for retaining some value but Wii games aren't that expensive when used, they tend to be cheaper than n64 games (some of them! unlike the metroid trilogy and xeno)
    Actually I looked on Nintendo's website and they link to 3 retailers: Gamestop, Amazon, and Target and Gamestop has the cheapest prices. It's Nintendo that's ripping people off.

Sadly I don't have a gamecube controller yet, I mean I plan on picking up the Smash ones at some point if anything, but I don't mind the wiimote waggling honestly.

Just to clarify, I have beaten the game before all the way on the Wii, it's just more for collection/if I'm bored one day type of thing.

Well if you're going strictly by graphics yes, but I don't think anyone ever considered Nintendo to be the powerhouse for graphics. Even if their Mario games usually look pretty amazing.

By the time that the next Zelda game hits though Skyward Sword will probably see a drop in price, if I remember correctly, Twilight Princess went down to $20 after Skyward Sword was released.
    Maybe but since Skyward Sword came out at the end of the Wii's life good chance its prince will hold. The samething happen with Twlight Princess on the GC.

Who knows but don't expect any sells on it anytime soon. I say check ur local used game store or pawnshop and see if they got a copy and if its cheap.